Hand and Arm Conditioning

Discussion in 'Striking Martial Arts' started by Frybread002, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Frybread002

Frybread002 Initiate

So the internet is divided by people who believe in hand conditioning and with those who don't believe in hand conditioning. With styles like Wing Chun, Karate, Tiger Claw, Snake and Crane having centuries of experience behind them and actually using conditioned hands and arms to strike with, I strongly believe that hand conditioning is a real thing.

That said, I really want to start conditioning my finger tips, forearms, knuckles and palms. For the past year, I've been hitting my heavy bag without my gloves and I can see the progress already; my knuckles are bigger and denser, allowing me to strike harder and last longer doing so. However, I have to wait for long periods of rest for my knuckles to heal before I can condition them. In those periods of rest, I want to focus on the aforementioned areas and start a systematic process of training while I wait for another part of my body to rest.

The longest I had to wait, was a few months before I could strike my bag again.

3. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Look into medicine intended to help you recover from Iron Body training. I know that Japanese Karate styles have some concoction they use, and the Chinese use Dit Da Jow. I used it a couple of times, not super convinced on its effectiveness for healing, but I never had to do much conditioning. A few months without training will set your conditioning back too far, try to make sure it never gets that bad again!

Master of Nothing likes this.
  4. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

Try punching something hard, like a tree, and see how your knuckles feel then?

5. Ivor Godley

Ivor Godley grasshopper

sounds like you are damaging the bone structure - this is essentially what any one doing conditioning is aiming for - because the bone regrows bigger, denser & stronger, but it takes time for this (the recovery) to happen.
    as far as conditioning the fleshy parts that cover the bones you can speed up the recovery and the conditioning together - if you can bear it, try bathing the areas before and after the session in surgical spirit, be warned though it hurts like a bitch on damaged skin!
    the other thing is simple for the knuckles - push ups on a coarse carpet, sand or rough concrete, i used to do this a lot and it builds up fantastic calluses very quickly.

Master of Nothing likes this.
  6. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

A few things you can consider when training . Are you tightening the metacarpal bones together, when you hold your fist. Many of martial artists will neglect this factor in fist formation. Doing so will allow you to train longer and more often. Using the heavy bag without gloves is good, however you may want to consider using a makiwara as well. The first stages of knuckle training is to strike with a bit of force, but not Full Force. Concentrate on the metacarpals as you build up your resilence, then you may increase as you go. The additional exercises Ivor mention will help a lot. You'll need to pace and work through a portion of pain, but you'll get there.

Eric Dufurrena and Ivor Godley like this.