Have You Ever Tried Capoeira?

Discussion in 'Capoeira' started by Kevin, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I've never met anyone that has ever tried Capoeira though it seems like one of the most beautiful and stylish martial arts around. Someone posted the video from deadliest weapon recently and the Capoeira martial artist performed the most powerful kick too, which was surprising as he was against Taekwondo, Karate and Muay Thai fighter.

capoeira.jpeg

There are some Capoeira knockout videos on YouTube though it's safe to say that the vast majority of mixed martial artists have no experience with the art or use it in their matches.

Anderson Silva once tried a Capoeira move in a UFC match. I don't believe he has much experience with the art though. I found this video below where is awarded a yellow ribbon. I have no idea how long it takes to get to that stage (or if it was more of an honorary award because he trained with them). If you look at the way he is sparring with them, he isn't using Capoeira, the style is closer to Taekwondo (which he has a black belt in).

I'm curious as to whether anyone here has ever tried Capoeira, if only for a training session. I'd be interested to here the pros and cons of the art and whether it complements any other styles well (not being used in MMA frequently doesn't mean it's not an effective art). Although I've never trained in it, I expect it would complement other kicking arts such as kickboxing, taekwondo, karate and muay thai well.

I assume you need to be flexible and strong too. There are overweight Karate and Taekwondo practitioners but everyone who seems to do Capoeira seems to be really fit. Perhaps due to the gymnastic type exercise they are doing.

Capoeira_fight_dance_45.jpeg

Would love to know more about this art as I'll be in Brazil in a few months and may come across it :)

Kevin

Chaleira likes this.
  3. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

My daughter does it and loves it.

4. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

There is a point in Capoeira where perhaps age takes a hand and says STOP or NO WAY. At 58 I look on Capoeira with longing and wish I was again in my 20s, 30s, and 40s.

Kevin likes this.
  5. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Capoeira is, perhaps, the coolest martial art there is. Not because I think it is the most practical of the arts, but rather because of how cool it looks... plus, the classes are loaded with hot chicks. Sure you can find a few examples of capoeira fighters winning their fights, or a capoeira move occasionally being used successfully in fights, but those example are too rare so far for me to seriously consider it as being on par with martial arts that I know work. But who cares... you will look cool as hell before you get dropped!!

Aaron and Semper Gumby like this.
  6. Gone

Gone Guest

Never done it and never known anyone to do it. I think there is a Capoeira school in Melbourne.

Again, I'd give it a shot for 6 months or whatever.

7. Asriel

Asriel Disciple

It looks like amazingly cool dancing and a great workout and I'd love to do it if I had the time, but I don't rate its effectiveness as a martial art

Sneaker, Sherratt and Kevin like this.
  8. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

i've played capoeira for 6 years straight and it's one of my greatest passions in life.
    it's a very cool art to watch and fight, but it takes a really long time to condition the body properly and to learn a good set of movements.
    talking about its effectiveness as a martial art, it is a true martial art in the meaning of 'martial', since it was made in times of war by the african slaves in Brazil to fight the portuguese, and later, it was used by the Brazilian army in the Paraguay war [just a piece of brazilian history]. The similarity with dancing comes from the oppression to the slaves, their lords knew they were developing an art of deffense and planning their scape, and they forbade the capoeira practice. In order to continuing the trainning they said it was a dance, that was when the ginga and the music came along.

if you learn form a serious master in a well stablished group [which, unfortunatelly i never did] you learn everything from, the most used in a Roda, like kicks, spins, sweeps and dodges, to real combat techniques like punches, throws, submissions, counter attacks and Maculele [a form weapon fighting, disguised as a dance, using sticks or short swords, to the Floreio, which are the set of tricks, like, flips and those beautiful flying kicks, and the cultural side, like the history of the art, the singing and the instruments.

if you come to Brazil and want to learn more about it, or want to give it a shot at practicing, I'm sure you'll be welcome in any school you go :)

Chaleira and Enkidu like this.
  9. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Pedro, from what I know, the martial arts most popular in Brazil are BJJ, Muay Thai, and Judo. Where would you rank Capoeira in terms of popularity? Where does it rank as compared to, say, boxing?

My view of popularity of arts in Brazil might be colored by the fact that the Brazilians I know in Los Angeles are mostly associated with BJJ and MMA. I am curious from someone who lives there what you see.

10. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

well, jiu jitsu and judo are definitely the most popular martial arts here. Many children start with judo very young, and nowadays there are many young kids starting with jiu jitsu, as well, like me. i don't know much about muay thai, i just know about its popularity as a mass trend here.

The fact that capoeira was made by african brazilian slaves, and have been prohibited by law in the last couple of centuries, still brings some prejudice to the art, and it is still seen as a cultural activity instead of a martial art by a great part of the population.
    I would say that as a sport, or a martial art it's not as popular as boxing, or jiu jitsu, but i think it is just a matter of time, because it is a relatively new art, compared with taekwondo and its origins that are more than 2000 or 3000 years old and just recently, it was recognized as an official sport and declared as a cultural patrimony.
    i think Capoeira still has a lot to grow in terms of popularity, in Brazil and internationally

Chaleira likes this.
  11. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

it's not necessary to be very fit to play capoeira well. you have to be in sintony with your body. i've always been overweight, and i could do everything the skinny guys did... of course i had to make much more strenght and if i did something wrong my joints would suffer a little bit more.. but it's just a matter of knowing your body and your limitations, not to be attached to them, but to overcome them.
    i once met this master whose (who's?...idk) nickname was Armário (stands for Wardrobe, because he was so big, he looked like one) he was in my first cord promotion, and some times he would do backflips over the kids he was playing with..
    And there are many other 'wardrobes' flying out there .... true story

Chaleira likes this.
  12. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

My son studied Capoeira in college in Ohio a few years ago, after having "warmed-up" with Northern Shaolin and, of course, Taijiquan. He loved it, but admitted that he didn't stick with it long enough to really even get the intermediate moves down (he studied for 2 years).

I have to admit that when we got together over the summer and sparred it was too easy to just sidestep or back up to avoid the kicks, but it appears to be more complex than it first looks so we weren't surprised.

What I'm now wondering is, if it is indeed so complex, how would that fit into the slave's time schedule? It isn't as if they had loads of free time to perfect this art ...

13. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

actually you got me there.... I believe, because there was no electricity in the fields they worked, they probably didn't work at night... whatever...but one thing that i really believe is that the more things you have to do, more time you have (coming from a better time management), and as they were fighting for freedom they had to make time for training.

SifuPhil likes this.
  14. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

I did once a try out lesson before I started Taekwondo to improve kicking, its very difficult and you have to have a good footwork and coordination. It is also very exhausting because you move the whole time. I dont think it's very usefull in MMA because you get tired soon and it doesn't have a good defense. But it is really nice to train your balance or something.

SifuPhil likes this.
  15. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I love to watch it as much as I watch breakdancing :cool:

16. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I did Capoeria for a couple of months, and it was fun. The rhythm was a new change to training, and after a while you start to notice rhythm in other martial arts, mostly when sparring. It was fun but ultimately impractical, as other techniques hit more often and don't leave you exposed, and there are better ways of conditioning yourself, too, so it wasn't for me.

17. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Only ever seen demos at Seni. Some amazing and impressive physical feats. Would love to find somewhere in the West Mids (UK) that I could go train at.

18. The Little Lion

The Little Lion Hard Wing Chun - The Music Of Bones

I fought against it and from my brief insight into Capoeira i think it's one of those arts where you have to really get your techniques tight to be any good with it. The Capoeira club at the tournament i went to were getting taken down allot from their kicks but they were powerful when they managed to land them. Personally i found it easy to exploit my opponents high kicks, spinning techniques and footwork also he wasn't comfortable in close range combat and seemed to struggle to achieve the distance he wanted when he had me closing the gap and keeping the pressure on him although the footwork occasionally tricked me into thinking he was trying to kick me when he wasn't. We were all 0 -2 years of experience though and i can't claim to know Capoeira as an art. That said most of them left with trophies although the way those fights were judged they would have left with trophies if they stood in the ring and punched themselves in the face for 3 minutes but thats my problem :(

SifuPhil and Void_Karateka like this.
  19. aminiv

aminiv Initiate

hhhhhhhh

20. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Actually, two things. In that test. Taekwondo had the fastest kick (37 mph faster) and generated more force (2300 psi verse Capoeira's 1900). The claim was that Capoeira had the highest ratio of Force to Velocity. However, what they skipped was the Force to Mass ratio. Which is much higher than all the other styles tested. Which means it involves dedicating more of one's body for a single technique.
    In a fight. It's usually the more direct techniques and their ability to follow up that wins. Don't get me wrong. I love Capoeira training. Just as much as I love training in the other systems represented. Capoeira is a good style to learn "off balance recovery" techniques. But, once you account for the amount of energy expended per technique and the fact it telegraphs most (almost all) of those pretty kicks (decent hand tech though). It falls very fast to a non efficient street system. For a Capoeira Maestro to increase speed. They need Time to gain momentum. Which could be several times as long as the actual fight will last.
    Cool Style? Yes! Fun Style? Absolutely!!!! A handy addition for an Experienced Martial Artist? Sure, why not!!!
    Efficient? Not very. Fastest? Nope. A lot of self defense value for the novice? Not at all.
    It's effective against someone with little or no fight experience. Or someone not expecting a certain technique to be executed from and awkward position. But, Capoeira did Not perform the most "powerful" (nor efficient) kick.

21. student

student Initiate

I don't know really anything about Capoeira but I can easily recognize because of its distinguished movements. Though I wouldn't prefer to make it my primary training I can see that it would benefit any martial artist with footwork and expanding one's understanding of certain strikes. To me, you can take anything you want out of a martial art that you see as beneficial.. even if it's a single kick or punch. I would classify Capoeira as more of an art I'd appreciate as a spectator than a practitioner, but again I wouldn't mind learning a few more things about it.

Master of Nothing likes this.