Have You Ever Tried Capoeira?

Discussion in 'Capoeira' started by Kevin, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Birmingham is due to have its first centre for capoeira opening soon. Gonna go give it a try, if anything for the musical and energetic atmosphere.

2. Chaleira

Chaleira Capoeiraista

Capoeira is the main art I train in! I love it, it's addicting. I've been studying it since 2007 (until 2015 with a group in Jacksonville, FL and since 2015 in Charleston, SC with my current group) and have had the opportunity to attend various workshops with many different Mestres and instructors from different groups.

As with all arts, there are pros and cons to capoeira. Though it can be a very effective tool for self defense, there are a lot of movements taught in the art that you wouldn't use. You have to know how and when to separate the "dance" from the "fight" in the "game". A good instructor will show you all aspects, but as someone mentioned, you have to find a good solid group with a good instructor.

To initially start capoeira, you don't need to be strong or flexible or fit, etc... you will develop those attributes through the continued practice of capoeira

Capoeira can and does compliment other arts as well, not only with the many kicks and evasive movements (though capoeira also has hand strikes, finger jabs, elbows, knees, head buts, takedowns and sweeps... though not focused on a lot in a lot of groups, and believe it or not, weapons, though rarely trained at all) but with the strategy and awareness developed within capoeira.