HELLO EVERYONE I M TYSON.A DEFENCE LAB INSTRUCTOR

Discussion in 'Fresh Meat (Introduce Yourself)' started by tyson murugan-DEFENCE LAB, Aug 4, 2013.

?

WHO IS super saiyan

1. goku

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. gokussj2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HELLO EVERYONE,MY NAME IS TYSON MURUGAN, I M 25,I COME FROM SOUTH AFRICA AND AM A DEFENCE LAB INSTRUCTOR FOR 3 YEARS RUNNING LEARNING SOMETHING NEW AND EVOLVING THE STYLE EVERYDAY INSTEAD OF REMAINING STATIC LEARNING THE SAME THINGS AS MOST OTHERS. DLB-facebook-cover-SouthAfrica.png defence lab(1)2.jpg SINCE THE INTRODUCTION OF THE ART TO THE WORLD VIA HOLLYWOOD FILMS LIKE THE DARK KNIGHT ETC HAVING TRAINED DIRECTLY WITH AND CERTIFIED BY THE FOUNDER OF THE ART ANDY NORMAN ABROAD IN ENGLAND,IT IS NICE TO INTERACT AND TRAIN WITH OTHERS IN MARTIAL ARTS I HOPE EVERYONE HERE HAS AN OPEN MIND TO MARTIAL ARTS AS IN DEFENCE LAB WE ARE ENCOURAGED TO CROSS TRAIN IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND OTHER STYLES OF FIGHTING AS THIS IS A REALITY BASED MARTIAL ART WE ARE CONSTANTLY FACING MULTIPLE OPPONENT ALL ATTACKING AT THE SAME TIME,I VE TRAINED IN MANY DIFFERENT STYLES OVER THE 15 YEARS IN MARTIAL ARTS AND TRAINING AND I ALWAYS STRIVE TO PROGRESSIVELY LEARN MORE AND UNDERSTAND MORESO ABOUT MARTIAL ARTS AND TRAINING AND DIFFERENT TRAINING PROCESSES AND THE PROCESSES INVOLVED WHICH I FIND HIGHLY ENJOYABLE,I VE STUCK RIGHT NOW WITH DEFENCE LAB BECAUSE IT HAS DONE WHAT MANY MARTIAL ARTS ARE AFRAID TO DO BY INTRODUCING AND MAKING US UNDERSTAND STRESS HOWEVER IT IS ALWAYS A GREAT IDEA TO LEARN A MARTIAL ART BEFORE JUDGING,I M VERY GLAD TO BE APART OF THIS FORUM AND HOPE TO UNDERSTAND MORE OF EACH OTHER TO MAKE OURSELVES BETTER IN OUR TRAINING AND OURSELVES.

Attached Files:

3. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Welcome Tyson. Peaks my curiosity because what I teach (American Kenpo) , it has alot of its principles in what I call the "science of motion". Be well my friend

4. i see,well i ve seen the quick strikes in american kenpo,how far are you from the lineage of ed parker,just curious as well.if you re in america,we have defence labs there there are about 33 at least and only 59 of us worldwide,mostly based in the u.k,u.s.a and spain and me being the only one in africa,look up the official website just have to google defence lab you will definitely have a defence lab in your area somewhere,be awesome if you check it out and see for yourself what defence lab has to offer rather me just telling you,this is the kind of training where you have to actually train in it more to understand it but i guess every style is like that in a way,maybe you could get involved and train directly with the founder andy norman,he is always looking to make more instructors for sure

5. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

I will look it up. As for myself, I knew Master Parker, his wife (Leilani) and still speak with Edmund jr from time to time. I'm a 7th degree in Ed Parker Kenpo. You'll have to forgive me. With the politics (IKKA, EPAK in general) I try to stay away from the "who is who" game. I'm in it to teach and expand the principles and theories, instead of who I had my picture taken next to. Thanks to many in the system, "lineage" has become a dirty word. Suffice to say, my teachers were "first generation".

6. i see and understand completely,well was just curious,its all up to the practitioner about how they develop their skills of course i totally agree with you,i consider myself extremely lucky as with others to have trained with the founder of this style and once more its not even a mix of different styles its a wholly new style just influenced by others,would love to welcome you to the defence lab family if you decide to join us,i mean i love making new friends especially in martial arts,most of the mma fighters here think that mma is the greatest art when i just believe its the practitioner who makes the art great,because its their hardwork and ability to keep learning and being stringer not comparing something to another or themselves to another that truly helps them be stronger and that is the reason i like training in as many arts as possible so i can understand them rather than criticize even though i ve never really trained in them.

7. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Well, not to start problems with the MMA crowd but, a system that has its roots in "sport" doesn't offer me much in the realm of the street. Just my humble opinion. We deal with mass opponent attacks, weapons like a bottle, a bat, knife or gun. We don't break boards. We break bones. It's all about science and anatomy.

8. exactly the same here my friend we deal with simulating real world combat against multiple opponents, adding stress and letting people get use to or learn how to deal with their emotions and fear during those situations,sometimes with drill of up to 6 people hitting the person with focus and using what we call the shape its truly revolutionary in all my years of martial arts i truly hadn't seen something quite like the kinds of simultaneous attacks and defence used in the shape,so much time saved in street fights and as you know we don't have such time in a real world situation,it all happens in a matter of a split second,you will truly be at home then with defence lab,lots of broken bones broken by me and had my own bones broken once or twice from the intensity and really i don't mind because its all part of the training to get stronger,its become common place to get injuries sometimes when you re at the elite level as well,i also find the mma system ineffective against street fights because most of the time street fights include weapons and tight spaces and so many other factors as well so we just work from the weapons to bare hands in terms of learning how to deal with them,where i live is a dangerous place and criminals attack very often so i m sometimes forced to act as well,kind of good experience as well however.the defence lab north america is just one sub-division for the defence lab as a whole because everyone learns the same currculum which is not set yet everyone adds their own flavour to it so the concepts remain the same just that there are an infinite amount of live combat and real world situations drills

9. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Not to misunderstand me. When I refer to broken bones, I am speaking of an opponent. If you receive injuries in a classroom environment, someone is not using proper control. While we in American Kenpo "play" hard, you would be hard pressed to take on an attacker or three with injuries received in class. Injuries happen in the studio from time to time. Nature of the beast. But am never impressed at the fact that a student can injure a fellow student. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Be well my friend

Sabomnim Dan and RJ Clark like this.
  10. OH NO I DIDNT MEAN IN CLASS PER SE,NOT IN A WAY WHERE WE TRY TO INJURE SOMEONE BUT MORE THE LEVEL OF INTENSITY AND THE SAFETY MEASURES WE TAKE,ITS MORE PRONOUNCED WITH THE HARDCORE STUDENTS,ITS A MUCH LOWER INTENSITY FOR CASUAL FOLK WHO TRAIN FOR HEALTH AND PHYSICAL FITNESS ALONE,WE TRY YO MAKE IT ACCESSIBLE TO EVERYONE SO THE NJURIES USUALLY HAPPEN IN THE HARDCORE STREET DYNAMICS COURSENUT YES WE DO TAKE SAFTEY MEASURES FOR THE STUDENTS BUT SOMETIMES THINGS HAPPEN THATS WHAT I MEANT

11. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Seems there is two schools a state or two away from me. One being an instructor training center. Thats about as close as it gets. Maybe when I get through there I will stop in and say hi. I'm always looking for a reason to network with other schools. Dealing in the science of martial arts, I am always interested in dissecting another systems applications. Always proves to be enlightening.

12. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

If guys only train for the sport application of their art with no regard for self defense scenarios then their skill set won't be as effective as it possible could during extraordinary situations (certainly not useless). But using competition to make practical gains that apply across the board for combat combine well for self-defense. The list is nearly endless: footwork, timing, range, etc vs much more diverse opponents than most schools could produce. Lethal/debilitating techniques are also exponentially more effective when set-up/used in combination with fundamental or less-than-lethal techniques.

We also must not err to the extreme side of self-defense training by always throwing apocalypse scenarios at the students when the most common situations they have to deal with are one-on-one "tough guy" confrontations (this doesn't necessarily apply to the whole world, of course). Scaling their response to the perceived threat level can save a huge legal hassle for a disproportionate reaction. By scaling I definitely do NOT mean "Use only the iota of force necessary to neutralize a threat blah blah":).
    The general point I'm making is having a healthy balance & variety of training in multiple aspects of martial arts is very good. (I wish they had a caveman smiley for simplistic statements like I just threw out there:LOL:)

13. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Tyson.

14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

welcome Tyson, good luck with your new venture

15. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

You bet. That's why I teach a concept that is like the volume on a stereo. You have 0 - 10. Someone of a certain size may need to apply volume setting 5 while another may only have to use 2 or 8. The options are there. It is better to know and not need than need and not know!! ;)

RJ Clark likes this.