Hello to all from CQC Academy in Ann Arbor Mi

Discussion in 'Fresh Meat (Introduce Yourself)' started by cqcacademy, Aug 7, 2013.

1. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

Hello I just joined this forum to connect with other martial artist from around the world. I am a new instructor and would like to get tips from some of you that have been doing his for a while.

3. Alice Okasan

Alice Okasan Disciple

Welcome.

4. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Welcome to the forum. What kind of Martial Art(s) do you instruct?

5. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Hello and welcome from Tennessee

cqcacademy likes this.
  6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Hi welcome :)

7. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

Thank you
    I have a question for instructors: What are some of the things you use keep students motivated?

8. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

I Instruct Silat, Judo and a blended style of self defense that pulls from my background in Hapkido, Silat/Kali, and Judo.

RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  9. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Your own positive attitude and enthusiasm are the start and it will be contagious to the students.
    Shake things up as well to keep it fresh. One day you can walk in and say "OK, today is all Judo randori day" or all weapons sparring, MMA day, etc. Sometimes it's good to just do nothing but allow them to attempt to apply everything they've learned without dissecting every move they make - let them do that themselves.
    Set up "field trips" for training. That can be as simple as self-defense training in the parking lot around the cars and making that the defense scenarios for a good dose of reality-based training. Train in the park or woods to be inspired by nature. If you typically wear a gi then you should quite often have them wear "street" clothes for training as there're never going to get in a fight with someone wearing a gi on the street and they probably will never be wearing theirs while out and about. So it's a bit ridiculous to train people to defend themselves while wearing a gi and going barefoot all the time:rolleyes:
    Hopefully this helps and gives you some stuff to think about(y)

Sneaker, SifuPhil, MattCMMA and 2 others like this.
  10. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

Thank you those are wonderful ideas. I will be using them to keep my students engaged.

11. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Welcome to the board, CQC. (y)

When I was running my schools I used a mixture of shame, insults and torture.

It seemed to work. :devil:

Dave76, cqcacademy and RJ Clark like this.
  12. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

So you definitely ARE old school. If you were a "hard" style I would be racking my brain to think whether or not you were one of my instructors way back when...haha!

cqcacademy and SifuPhil like this.
  13. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

They say that the essence of good comedy is basing it upon reality.

Well, what I said, although I meant it as a joke, still had a bit of reality in it. I would switch into a totally different persona when I was teaching - one that thought nothing of shaming or insulting the students in order to get a rise out of them, to get their fighting spirit fired up.

The torture? Well ... without going into detail, studying Taijiquan is itself torture ... o_O

14. cqcacademy

cqcacademy Initiate

I guess you need to be aware of what each student needs to be motivated. Some people need that torturous drill sergeant to stay motivated other need gentle coaxing.

Sneaker and Dave76 like this.
  15. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Curriculum. It's all about the curriculum. I don't have a 30 minute "lil dragons" class because I can keep my students attention span with what I have to teach. Aside from the physical aspect, there are plenty of things to explain on the mental side as well. It's not just about keeping them moving. You have to keep them thinking as well.

16. damon

damon Initiate

and that u do

17. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Welcome Sir.

I was in that strict tae kwon do class, I can see my instructor was disappointed because he kept correcting my mistakes, so yes I did used a mixture of shame, insults and torture (in my head) while I do keep my best positive attitude to move up fast and hard correction to satisfy my grandmaster and myself as well. I failed one belt testing (yes it is disappointed, learned and got over it) and skipped one ranking belt up (this is awesome feeling and hard work does paid off) ... It seemed to working very well ... Students needs to know "failure does not mean you sucks" it is how you learn from it and you can do that in life (Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on ? ... Learning from your own mistakes is smart, learning from others mistakes is wise and do not forget how to apply continuously) as well as nobody is perfect, but to keep excel, surpass, exceed, transcend, outdo, outstrip and show superiority to yourself ONLY ... That is NOT cocky or "I am better than you" attitude ... this will leads to peaceful lifestyle :)

I guess I am old school student, too. as well ... I love it because it WORKS ! Old school teaching may scares students but it will get them on the right track faster and I need more of that constantly for myself :)

Best of all, show improvement, keep sweating and cherish it.

SifuPhil likes this.