Help me Learn Ninjitsu!!

Discussion in 'Ninjitsu' started by dmach, Jun 20, 2012.

1. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

I have always been fascinated by this art and would like to learn more, even better if I could train in it. Unfortuneatly, in my neck of the woods, Ninja Ryus are non-existant. Does anyone out there have any ideas? Books on the subject are plentiful, but I've never been 100% comfortable learning a style "by Correspondance"as it were. Or am I wrong about that?

3. Ben

Ben Master

There is a website called www.dojos.com or something like that (google dojo locator). That should help you find a suitable ninjitsu school, and tell you about any you may have missed. As for learning Martial Arts by corresponance, you're wrong and right. I don't think its good to learn a martial art entirely by the book because they lack the advantage of criticism, which everyone needs in training. But learning from a book gives you two advantages. 1) You won't be completely in the dark for when you do find a ninjitsu school and know a little about what people are talking about. 2) You'll gain a little bit of inside knowledge which can really help you decide if a martial art is for you or not. Its like watching a bunch of students practice before you sign up to a club. Hope this helped :)

Blade Maker and dmach like this.
  4. TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger Taoist Immortal

I'm going to be blunt, even though that rarely results in being popular: have you looked into ninjitsu's background? If you're looking for a combat ready martial art or a legit art that can trace its history back to medieval Japanese culture, there's a good chance you won't find it with ninjitsu. I'm not going to belabour the point because I know plenty of people won't want to hear it, but it's highly likely that ninjitsu (as we know it today) was mostly made up by Takamatsu and Hatsumi. The ninja, in fact, almost certainly never existed as we portray them today. Certainly, there were spies and assassins in the Koga prefecture of Japan, but it's unlikely that they fulfil any of the expectations we have of them today, either as martial artists or spiritual adepts.

Likewise, I've never seen anything that convinces me that ninjitsu is an effective martial art. There are certainly a few good fighters in the Bujinkan, but from what I hear, they were good fighters before they studied ninjitsu.

All that being said, if you really want to believe in the ninja stories, go right ahead. And if you're just looking to have fun, by all means try ninjitsu out. From what I understand, GM Richard Van Donk (big man in the ninja world) runs a correspondence course, which you can get details of here:

http://www.ninjutsu.com/about_IBDA.shtml

I've never played with it, but I hear Van Donk has cross trained, and it was once suggested that might make his Budo Taijutsu more effective than others in the Booj.

If modern day 'urban ninja' stuff is more your thing, I'm pretty sure Stephen K Hayes (also a big man in the ninja world) runs an online correspondence course, maybe google that.

Just as a final note, everything I've said above applies only to the Bujinkan and students of Hatsumi. Other 'ninjas' like Ashida Kim and Frank Dux, are so obviously frauds that they're not worth mentioning. If you just want to be able to tell people you're a ninja blackbelt I'm pretty sure Ashida Kim will just sell you a belt. LOL. He's such a tool....

Blade Maker likes this.
  5. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Nothing wrong with blunt White Tiger. I have done some research into Ninjitsu, I know they didn't galavant around the country side in all over black all the time, doesn't make sense really if your goal is assasination and you want to blend into the crowd and there you are in the black gi. :confused:

One thing that I found that was pretty cool and fits into my own Psychie is that they didn't have the same rules as the Samurai had and it sometimes worked in their favour. It was not uncommon for a Ninja and a Samurai to work for the same Shogun, but if the Shogun became despotic or generally unhinged in such a way that both the Samurai and Ninja would say "Thats just messed up" The Samurai was bound to him and couldn't leave - his code demanded as such, but the Ninja could say - "Screw you pal, I'm gone".

While I have never met the man, I know all about Frank Dux, but Bloodsport is still a cool movie :)

Ben likes this.
  6. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

First of all whitesnake, white tiger, whatever you want to call yourself. Spell it correctly. It's Ninjutsu

Aaron, TheWhiteTiger and Ben like this.
  7. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

a ninja wouldn't tell you he is a ninja, that would give him away....;)

TheWhiteTiger likes this.
  8. TheWhiteTiger

Mario, Paul, or whatever you want to call yourself, I assume you are a ninja? Have you studied in the Bujinkan? If so, I'd really appreciate your reply to my criticisms of it (regarding made up histories, ineffective techniques etc). I rarely get to talk to ninjas (we don't have any in my neck of the woods) and so had to educate myself (I was quite interested in the idea of being a ninja as a teenager). I doubt you'll say anything that convinces me otherwise, but I'm certainly not above admitting I'm wrong if you can change my mind. I assume this was what you had in mind 'second' as you referenced a 'first' in your post.

Thank you for the correction on jutsu / jitsu thing. I was under the impression that kanji can be transliterated either way, but I see now that it's common practise for students of the art to use jutsu.

9. TheWhiteTiger

That's true, Bloodsport is an AWESOME movie. I was deeply gutted when I found out Frankie wasn't what he claimed :-(

10. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

that's a picture of him and Hatsumi Sensei, and i am guessing that picture was taken at one of the smaller bujinkan schools in Japan.

11. TheWhiteTiger

He should be the perfect man to give me an insiders view then. I often find that people outside the Bujinkan and inside it fail to have meaningful dialogues, preferring instead to just accept everything on face value, or deny everything likewise. I'm sure that leads to a lot of confusion, and I wouldn't be surprised if I've picked some of it up.

Hopefully he'll respond and let me know his opinion as someone who I presume has trained with Hatsumi Sensei.

12. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

the eastern mystification of martial systems permeates western culture, and a lot of that has to do with the way techniques were recorded (often times being done in prose) and a desire to enlighten westerners, instead of teaching them. a lot of which had more to do with social differences than an intentional slight.

For example "Needle at the Bottom of the Sea" that is a pretty specific sword technique, but you can't tell that from the title.

13. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Most of the black clad ninja myths have been hyped up by Hollywood and the media in the past few decades.

Yes ninjutsu(Bujinkan) as a martial art is actually 9 main schools, 3 of which are ninpo schools, the rest are samurai schools, and it is not the same as the historical ninjutsu; we don't go around spying on people, poisoning them, or assassinating anymore... as the times are different and we evolve, this area of the 9 schools isn't focused on as much during training, at least that's what I find.

Both Iga & Koga area's are well known for being the birthplace of ninpo/ninjutsu.

Dr. Kacem Zoughari wrote a great book on ninja history, can't remember the title not near my books. He is a historian and Bujinkan practitioner. In my opinion a much more enlightening and fresh approach to the subject than most.
    Also remember that the ninja during there peak in history, more than likely spread rumors about themselves to make them more feared by people, and remember that ninjutsu historically is an oral art, passed down within the family or clans. Most things were never written down, so we will never truly know what historical ninjutsu actually was like.

As to the arts effectiveness; it is highly effective, there are reasons why most practitioners don't train at full speed and strength. This is an art that you really can't appreciate until you actually have trained in it. The constant "rolling and flopping around" that most people laugh at, including martial artists, is so that we can survive the throws and attacks that we have to deal with during training. Saying that an art isn't effective without having trained in it is a poor basis for an opinion. You really can't appreciate the pain that some of these techniques cause until you have been through it. No book, video, or amount of watching can make you truly appriciate the effectiveness of Bujinkan Budo Ninpo Taijutsu as a martial art, or any other system/art for that matter, you truly need to feel it in order to understand it. Like any art the effectiveness of the art is up to the practitioner's training, not the art.

Mario Paul, Joe Lopez, dmach and 3 others like this.
  14. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

It would be best to learn ninjutsu at a dojo with a qualified instructor.
    This is an art/systems that can not truly be appreciated or understood with out some proper training inside of a dojo, at least that's my opinion. Van Donk's courses through the mail and online would be a decent alternative if you can not find a dojo near you.
    You will need someone to train with though. Getting the ukemi, rolling, and other basic taijutsu down is very important before you start learning any of the actual techniques; this will save you from serious injury, do not neglect this part of the training.

Books are good for reference once you have started to learn the material.

15. John rushton

John rushton Disciple

i have trained in many styles, ninjutsu was the first purely because my friend dad ran a club when i was a kid. I no longer do it but i would say it is very effective if taught right (often is not in some places ive seen) it helped me out of a couple of scrapes one of which i had two teeth chipped before my body/mind realised karate was not going to work and i switched back into ninjutsu, a second later the guy had almost knocked him self out on my fist- you experienced practitioners will know the sort of thing, the kami make bad things happen to desperate people. out of all the teachers i have had the most dangerous in real life combat would certainly be my ninjutsu teacher i really belive no one ive ever met could touch him. As for the history, hatsumi's teacher (i forget his name) seems like he was the real deal to me, has any one here seen the pictures of his hands? omg

Aaron likes this.
  16. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

water kami... he, he, he...

Aaron and John rushton like this.
  17. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

This picture was taken at the Hombu (Head quarters) of the Bujinkan in Atago, Chiba Prefecture

Blade Maker likes this.
  18. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Hatsumi Sensei's teacher was Takamatsu Sensei (The Mongolian Tiger). Yes I have seen pictures of his hands.

I wish I had been fortunate enough to have met him, alas he passed away in 1972. I was but a mere 1year old.

Unless you have trained in the Bujinkan, it would be wise to reserve your judgement.

19. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

These people that are controversial on forums like this remind me of realty TV. Shut up and train with us for two hours and when you really feel that a move is fake tell us we can show you how well they work. LOL

My favorite is when someone tells Shihan "That will never work."

20. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

I said that only once about a technique when i studied taijutsu, i was quite wrong. SHidoshi showed me how wrong i was, with a smile on his face the whole time

Joe Lopez and Aaron like this.
  21. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Haha, they do tend to do that. Nagato Sensei often uses a saying, "SHUT UP AND TRAIN". My thoughts exactly

Joe Lopez, Blade Maker and Aaron like this.