Help please bjj guys!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by The Lion, Oct 31, 2013.

1. The Lion

The Lion Ninja Pirate

So i recently started training BJJ at an MMA gym and it's awesome the Martial Art has succsessfully got me fascinated with it's movements and techniques. The instructor seems like a cool guy and so far it looks like he has a good knowledge of ground fighting and a just do it attitude. I have attended a few classes and he seems to display a bit of a salesmens attitude which i get he's running a business after all. However i was a bit alarmed when he told me he taught takedowns as part of the MMA class and focused mainly on groundwork and submissions in bjj is this normal? Honestly i was kind of dissapointed to hear this as it wasn't what was advertised on the website. It's just triggered some alarm bells and is making me think maybe i should check out some other places around the local area i was also under the impession that throws were a part of bjj so yeah feed back would be greatly appreciated !

3. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

troll

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

It isn't uncommon that the laser-locked focus for some/many BJJ schools is groundwork and very little time if any spent on takedowns & throws due to the nature of BJJ sport rules and the general mind set of "Sure, let's just agree to go to the ground and get to work". This of course isn't an issue for MMA.

Caneman, The Lion and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  5. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Agreed, it is not uncommon. I have been doing BJJ for several years, and only do take downs now that I got my Black Belt in the regular curriculum. I wouldn't abandon the idea of checking at other schools, though, as take downs are important if you intend to do more fighting, even if just for the defense of being taken down. Ask around.

Caneman and The Lion like this.
  6. The Lion

The Lion Ninja Pirate

Ahh thanks for clearing that up guys.

You know if i had the money to train more i would pay for the classes but i already train allot before the Jiu Jitsu and i can't justify in my mind training bjj 3 times a month and squeezing in one mma class for takedown instruction if i'm going to learn a martial art i'll give it everything i have, also mma is not cheap so perhaps i just put an intense focus on kung fu takedowns for now. Hopefully in a few years i will be able to realise my dream of just training, teaching and living the life instead of being a wage slave.(y)

Seriously John the internet needs more people like you happy web surfing dude

7. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

Maybe I got you wrong Liono. Tell me then what grade are you?

8. The Lion

The Lion Ninja Pirate

I don't have time for fools like you.

9. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

You ain't got a grade because you ain't got jack, mate.

10. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Nor do you little jon jon. If you do have any official type of rank you're doing a great job embarrassing yourself,school & teacher.
    Though I would love to ask who has ranked you, and which school you train in? Contact details if possible. I'm sure he/she would enjoy looking over your behavior on these forums.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  11. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

This is my two senseis Barry Gibson and John Shields. Both 5th dan Aikidoka. http://www.isshindotaiaikido.co.uk/
    This is the date of my grading (11th july) http://www.isshindotaiaikido.co.uk/aikido/grading/grading.html
    And this is their contact details : actually im not going to tell you that cos i dont think they would appreciate me handing out their personal info to some random idiots ive met online. Suffice to say you can get them from their site. Good enough for you 'Matt'?

MattCMMA likes this.
  12. liam

liam Disciple

Telling us of what rank your instructor are really does nothing for you. for them, cool, for you not so much. What exactly is your experience in martial arts. And before you try to attack me i will tell you this. I began training in TAI Kenpo un GM Ralph Andersen (RIP) in 1989, I am currently a 6th degree Blackbelt from GM Roger Callejo and a 4th degree Black in Escrima, and have been authorized to teach and develop an independent branch from GM Callejo. I have trained JKD, muay thai, catch wrestling, judo. I currently train at Gracie Barra where I am a very proud white belt. Pony up and tell us, please.

Daniel Wise likes this.
  13. Eric Dufurrena

According to the site, Mr. Robinson is a 5th Kyu. Yellow belt.

MattCMMA likes this.
  14. john2054

john2054 Nearly graduate

You got me yellow belt. Thats it whoopie do nothing more nothing less. Whats not on the site is that i passed my first year at uni recently (after 2 years p t) with a 2.2 c grade. And the difference between that and budo is the fact that when i graduate i may actually be able to get a job out of it. Also three months ago i won my wifes visa from kenya. Which really trumps the lot, gradings not withstanding!

15. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Very nice (y)

16. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

So... back to the original question...
    I agree completely with RJ and Eric.... and
    Frankly, my cross training in BJJ is all ground work. We never do take downs.
    That said... we do lots of falls sweeps and throws... but not in BJJ class.
    So, I don't think he is selling you anything sub-par Lion... just simply telling you where his focus will be. Assume that after you train for "a while"... you could reasonably ask about take downs.

Eric Dufurrena and liam like this.
  17. liam

liam Disciple

I'm with Caneman is right. After a while talk to him, he may have a solution.

18. Franco

Franco BUDO

Judo is the answer it does not only teach you throws and take downs but also ground submissions. You don't want to spend to mush time "rolling around on the ground".

liam likes this.
  19. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Judo is actually a spot on solution. Well suggested Franco. My first martial art is Judo. I moved on to Ju Jitsu (Japanese) then my current ryu (Okinawan Tode) which I've been with for around 12 years now. The judo gave me a fantastic grounding not just for balance, posture and technique but also taking on folks bigger and stronger than me. I have a lot of time and respect for judo and judoka. Time spent in randori in judo stand up will be a fantastic benefit to your bjj work.

Aaron and Franco like this.
  20. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Unfortunately this is how most BJJ schools are, they tend to focus on ground only, not how you get to that point, which is just as important. Most of the BJJ guys I have been lucky enough to train with had Muai Thai, Kenpo, JKD, Karate, and MMA backgrounds, so they tended to focus on how to get people to the ground as well. Its unfortunate that more BJJ schools don't focus on this.

Its weird that a MMA/BJJ school wouldn't being working on takedowns as well. But thats just my two cents.

21. Eric Dufurrena

Almost seems like they take a defensive stance on the subject, i.e. if you get taken down, this is what you could do, but it makes more sense that if you train in BJJ you are better on the ground (and that is a huge advantage), so they should teach you to get to the ground, and in dominate position to boot. We do practice take downs at our school, but we don't really use them live a lot, not like the rolling we do.

Aaron likes this.