Here's a friendly Taiji demonstration with some good techniques

Discussion in 'Tai Chi' started by ghost, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I know it's only a demo but the attacker in this video is just plain awful. Look at the punches and kicks the guy is throwing. Truly awful. It just makes the the whole demo kind of pointless. I know things need to be slowed down in demos etc but at the very least the attacker should be doing realistic attacks.

TheWhiteTiger, RJ Clark and Enkidu like this.
  2. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

No doubt the demo would have been better with a less tenative uke. Again, this isn't my style to critique, but to me the most important part is the end for the random uke attacks (or when tori seized the initiative). With a more aggressive partner with better striking he could have showcased his skill set much better...

3. ghost

ghost Disciple

This is not a demo of realistic attacks. Really? He is discussing each of the five elements of Xing Yi and one technique from each element point by point technique by technique.

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah. I'm not familiar with that style either. So I can't say whether the main demo guy has great technique or not.

The performance of the attacker kind of undermines everything the other guy does. It's this kind of thing that gives Aikido a bad reputation I've always wanted to try Aikido as the wrist locks they teach are awesome and I am positive learning Aikido would help me. Some demos are ok but there are a lot of demos that give such a bad impression of the art - e.g. several people just running at the master full speed with their heads down, throwing a punch to the masters arm.

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

The instructor looked very comfortable in there and had good flow, but the gun-shy uke made the demo less than it could have been. I'm not disparaging the style/art, but I would have liked to see a more aggressive uke with better striking technique to make this a much more effective demo. EDIT: backing up I realize the post was more about the guy being a bit heavy-set but still an effective teacher and I certainly don't contest that.

6. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

The definition of "fit for duty" and the various methods of achieving it are two very different things, but neither involves the possession of a pot-belly.

I don't oppose it - I'm saying it isn't necessary in my art and in fact would hamper proper technique.

Of course, but that makes it no less important to have as few obstructions as possible in these fields.

Not for nuthin', but have you ever run a commercial school? Perception is all when it comes to the bottom line.

Of course I can't tell for sure either - I'm merely recounting my previous experiences with similar builds.

A pot-belly is not fit.

First off - xing-yi, perhaps the most external of the so-called internal arts. Look at the strikes, look at the linear moves, the lack of fa-jing, the lack of flowing. And again, it's a demo - I could make Butterbean look good on video if he's doing a demo. Let's see what he does on the street and then I'll render a final verdict.

7. ghost

ghost Disciple

Yes. Note the lack of fa jing in a video that isn't demonstrating fa jing. Haha.

8. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

[​IMG]

Kevin likes this.
  9. ghost

ghost Disciple

It wasn't very clear if you were referencing the Xingyi in the video or in general. So I just assumed you're talking about both the video example and Xingyi, overall.