How Important Are Gradings?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by Kevin, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Angelos Koskinas

Angelos Koskinas Initiate

Also in addition to the ribbon rankings i have trained at a few places that dont have them.

the places that do might not follow the color system either. The places i have trained in go yellow / blue / red / black.

i never really got into the breakdown of how there achieved as i have never stayed at a school for very long as i have not come across a really good gym that wants to teach real muay thai. I only train once in a while at very good gyms i have come across in my travels.

2. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

My current Aikido club is white, brown and black.

3. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I have seen this as well. I taught a kali seminar at a TKD school that I used to run (I was the program director/director of sales). I was shocked. I watched a class and their 'chief instructor' was a blue belt ... a friggin blue belt with a year and a half under his belt (so to speak) is running the classes now. WTF?

4. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Don't you have a lot of different kyu within the white, and some in brown?

5. Locutus

Yes we do. Just the belts don't change colour.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  6. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

Hehe so technically, you have a good amount of gradings. Probably 10 before black belt? That is the same as every traditional art I have been in. I like the Aikido way better, though, brown probably represents the intermediate ranks, which falls in right about where it does with most I've studied. The only difference is you don't have to get a new belt each time!

7. Locutus

Nope, our belts just get darker with age and dirt ;)

Eric Dufurrena likes this.