how much would you charge or have been charged at a full time dojang ?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by michael mckenna, Jan 2, 2014.

1. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Grasshoppa

im curious too how much people charge the students per month when they run a full time dojang, right now at my dojang i go to in the GTF i pay £20 a month and i can go too as many class's are available in scotland as i like now i mostly just train in my home town where there are a few class's taught by different instructors. but for people who have full time dojangs that would probably teach 2 class's a day from lets say 8 till 12 and 6 till 10, now i chose those times as that's what times a few offer that i have seen that have alot of students who train 8 hours a day for 5 days a week, the people that do 8 hours a day are brilliant they are so dedicated too the art,i personally would love to run a dojang like that in the future, but i never felt it was appropriate to ask how much they charge, to be fair for the people who do the 4 hours training 5 days a week would probably be charged £50 a month, if there was a dojang like that ear me i would happy to pay £50 a month to train 4 hours a day 5 days a week, ive seen alot of mma gyms teach around the same hours if not more and charge slightly more as well, what do you guys think would be a fair price ?

3. Rugratzz

Rugratzz Initiate

At my club for three children we pay about 100 quid for 6 months ( I get it free ) that's twice a week four hours training each plus extra sessions they put on or we can arrange. Gradings are a fiver. The price also incudes membership to the Danish tkd federation.

RR

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Who trains eight hours a day and what could they possibly be doing? There are pro fighters that train to fight as their job and they'll do a double split or even a triple split (not every day) during a day for training but the actual active "mat time" won't add up to eight hours. If you mean trainers who offer classes throughout the day then that makes a bit more sense.

Overall what you should charge isn't too hard to figure out. Your students have to absorb your operating costs - rent, utilities, insurance, advertising, etc. for the month. Then you add what you feel you should be paid for your instruction - set it at an hourly rate to make it easy to calculate. Once you do that you can compare your rate to others in your area and adjust if necessary. If the rent is too high in your area you may have to team up with someone else and share the space/time so you don't have to pay the full rent. You may get a great deal on insurance based on your training parameters and be able to raise the monthly fee if you're well under the average and so on.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Sneaker likes this.
  5. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

even if I didn't do anything else I wouldn't train 8 hours a day Oo

Jovan and RJ Clark like this.
  6. michael mckenna

well for people who train 8 hours a day such as myself i do it privately, in a morning class the first hour out of the 4 hours could be cardio, second hour could be stretches and light pad work, 3rd could be patterns and adjusting your patterns, and the 4th can be self defence, then in the evening class for the first hour, you can do strength excercises, second hour could be patterns, 3rd could be self defense and the 4th could be sparring. i know alot of people who train almost constantly most of them are masters and almost over 70 years old so if they can do it im sure anyone else could

7. michael mckenna

why not ? its loads of fun and you get so much better, i do it 5 days a week, and weekends i just go over my patterns

8. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

First, I'm not a pro, there's no need to train like that, and most important, everything in excess is harmful. If I trained 8h/day, 5 days/week, I would have lots of orthopedic problems that would make me retire before I turn 40.
    Our muscles need to rest.. cardio work usually require a lot of muscular effort, and also 90% of "8-hour-a-day-trainable" martial arts have a lot of impact to the body and wears off joints way too fast.

And there is the psychological thing.. it's not because it's a lot of fun that i won't get sick of it.

9. michael mckenna

well ive been doing this type of training for over a year now and havent felt any problems in myself

10. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Great, then! keep it up, just take care of your knees and your back...

11. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

set rates from £3.35 an hour

12. michael mckenna

lol funny you mention that as those two are things i strengthen more then most as weak ankles, bad knee's and bad backs are all genetic in my family :)

13. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Kata. You can easily spend a good 3-4 hrs practising all your kata's and their bunkai in a Karate type style.

Edit - And let's be honest, in comparison to full contact sparring or strength and conditioning, it's no where near as physically demanding.

michael mckenna likes this.
  14. michael mckenna

i agree i have learned 8 hyung at my current grade and do each one 10 times each then reflect on the usage of them then get up and do it again and try to see my attackers, in chang hon taekwondo we also like to analyse our forms, for me its just fun, my instructor has found 250 ways for a simple low block and during my training i have only come up with 10 ways lol

15. Dave76

Anyhow, as to the OP, I can't really say as I've only ever taken private students and they didn't last long once they realised I wasn't going to teach them crap they had seen on the movies.
    So I'll say that my club where I train now charges $55 Aus dollars per fortnight for unlimited classes in BJJ gi and no gi, Muay Thai, MMA and then there's also one submission wrestling class on Fridays and a specific strength and conditioning class on Saturdays.

And of course then there's an open mat session 3 times per week as well.
    Between little kids BJJ through to the teenagers classes and adults, the gyms only closed at lunch time for a couple of hours and even then once you get your purple belt you also get a set of keys so as you can train any time you like, so long as you clean up after yourself, etc.

michael mckenna likes this.
  16. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

I've learned 7 hyungs as well and 2 palgwe by myself.. I also like to practice the derions alone.
    Do you train that too?

17. Dave76

o_Oreally?

No offense Michael, seriously, but that's a big number. I think I would have to see that and hear his explanation of how he arrived at such a high number to be able to believe that. Unless of course he's talking blocking different objects with the same block, i.e.- punch, kick, pool stick, baseball bat, etc. I'm sure I could eventually come up with a high number too if I thought about it long enough and all the things that could be blocked with that one type of block.
    For empty hand combat though, 250 does seems a little far stretched.

Edit- perhaps a little more info on what you mean exactly by found 250 ways for a block.

Pedro likes this.
  18. michael mckenna

well considering the first move in chon ji is a low block, a low block can also be a wrist release, and a strike. the reason he has found around that number of ways because he would send emails back and forth to grand master park jung tae found of GTF taekwondo style

19. michael mckenna

what is derions ?

20. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

It's like a two people hyung. There is Sam Bo Derion, I Bo and Il Bo, that are 3, 2 and one moves sequence and Joa Derion which is ground fighting sequences.

Each one of them have +/- 20 sequences

21. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

As too costs for training. I have paid $50 a month at my old dojo, still looking at new dojos as I just moved to a different city , but looks like $65 - $80 a month.

As for private training sessions I have paid $35 - $45 per hr (from 10th+ Dan instructor) , usually comes out to $120 to $180 per session. I have heard of guys pay $60 to $75 per hr, but personally that's getting a little crazy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014