how much would you charge or have been charged at a full time dojang ?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by michael mckenna, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Bringing the Thread Back to the orignal question which is costs

Wow 8 hours x 5 days. I could not do that.

When I was fighting I was only doing 4 hours a day and that wasn't all martial arts, it was running and weights etc

Regards private lessons, anything from £25 upwards is the norm.

thing is if people pay the prices then they'll carry on charging it. you vote with your feet, if its too expensive find somewhere else cheaper. People make money out of martial arts but I don't think that they should be over charging for something that others give for free.

My charges pay for the room, insurance and ewquipment, I've never claimed a salary from the club ever.

2. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

At my TKD club it's €20 per month. There are 6 lessons a week I can join, most of them are 2 hours.

3. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

At my place it's £3.50 a lesson. Lessons last 2 hours. Insurance is about £14 a year and kyu gradings are £10, which includes the cost of the belt. Dan gradings are £50 also including cost of the belt. We cover our room costs and everything extra is always circulated back in to the ryu.

4. JesterX

JesterX Disciple

Michael, that’s great if you can actually do it. But for most of us there simply isn’t enough time in the day. I work full time; say 8 to 9 hours (gotta pay those bills). Then there’s training three times a week for 4 to 5 hours, of I which I would say I give half back to the school as an assistant instructor. Then we have maintenance to the house and the household vehicles, face time with the wife and family. Cooking (I actually love to cook, and wish I could do it more). And, well I could go on, but I’m certain you get the idea.

As to your original question, I now see where it comes from. You want to be able to spend all your time training. And now you’re looking for ways in which you can support that. Which quite frankly begs the question, how has your “full time” training been paid for up to this point?

Frankly I have never been a student at a full time school, I would much rather learn from a teacher who’s goal is primarily to teach his art and in the doing help others. From my experience most of the full time schools I’ve visited are little more then “money machines” for the operator/owner.

5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I must have been blocking the memory of how much time I wasted on kata "way back then" :rolleyes: A kata-based day makes eight hours conceivable even if it still is ridiculous, in particular if half of every day in a five day cycle is spent on kata. As for interpretation of kata and/or each individual technique within it most often seems to de-evolve from useful "Here is a framing hammer, primarily use it to drive or remove nails, you can also use it to break stuff or lever something apart." Into less than useful "You could use this hammer to set and remove screws, etc etc." 250 "different" low blocks seems to fall right into that theme...

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

That's spot on - the intensity level for that kind of training basically sets the limit. Except for genetically gifted mutant beasts who can train more with impunity and/or have the fleeting advantage of youth on their side which soon enough passes.

7. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Grasshoppa

well im currently looking for work but unfortunatly where i live jobs are not much available unless you have been to university, and because i got kicked out of school for a misunderstanding, i did odd jobs also volunteer work, i apply for jobs often but like i said if you dont have qualifications where i live no one is going to hire you, i went to college for a few years for landscaping, so i have a qualification in that but no jobs in this area for that, and im also on disability living allowance for my autism, and also EMA employment support allowance, which that just covers my rent and bills, most of what i do is odd jobs for the elderly around where i live which is almost always weekend jobs i dont charge them much for what i do as i didnt feel it was right, right now im training to become a kickboxer to earn some money, also saving up to get my bouncer license and trying to become a taekwondo instructor in the future, recently i took a job for teaching some kids guitar, which at the end leaves me with not much time to myself but i survive, least im not sitting doing nothing most of the time like alot of people i live near lol

8. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

On a side note, how does the Autism you specify, affect your training etc. it must be a mild one as many I know have issues with dealing with people so being a "Bouncer" is it going to cause issues?

9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I don't confess to be at a national or world level in martial arts, but I was, when in another very demanding sport.
    In that sport we would train twice a day with 2 to 2.5 hour workouts including all the ancillary stuff (weight training, running, mental imagery drills, etc). And once on Saturday with Sundays off.
    I have been training in martial arts for the majority of the last 22 years.
    When you say they train for 8 hours, I question the intensity and the amount of down time.

10. michael mckenna

i have overcome those problems through mental conditioning, through constant focus i can overcome such things, but it does have its moments when i lose focus, but never in dangerous situations

Kuyaken likes this.
  11. Fin Smith

Fin Smith Disciple

Can I just point out that eligibility for DLA requires:
    • you need help looking after yourself OR
    • you have walking difficulties
    If you are training eight hours a day & five days a week; teaching guitar; training to be a Doorman & TKW Instructor I would seriously question this!

RJ Clark and Pedro like this.
  12. michael mckenna

many would and to be honest you dont know the full story, i myself do feel that i dont need it anymore but my dad does as he says at times i may not be always the way i am so we will keep the DLA for emergencys, my dad is my carer technically. i dont feel i need it but my dad does so i trust him, he always says thank god for your DLA as you wouldnt be able to afford your own place without it, so to stop people from thinking i am a scrounge i help people that need help such as the elderly, i hope to make enough money one day to not need it anymore

13. Fin Smith

Fin Smith Disciple

Sorry, it's not there for "emergencies" or "in case you might need it", it's to make life somewhat less difficult for people who are struggling to cope in life through because of a clinically evaluated disability. The giveaway is in the name! You are training 40+ hours week, something I would say no other prime physical specimen of a martial artist on this web site is able or willing to do.

Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  14. michael mckenna

well its not something you have to take up with me more with my dad i prefer not to have my DLA

15. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

40hrs per week? How much do you pay in training fees?

When I was training for MMA/Kickboxing, back in college, the most I got in was 8 to 12 hrs a week. The rest of the time I had to work to pay bills.

I don't know many people who could afford to train that much a week.

16. michael mckenna

actually i only pay £20 a month to my dojang and £5 every tuesday and friday to a kickboxing and muay thai gym so most of the training i do is at home by myself, so not that expensive considering i have naff all money most of the time, after rent, bills, training fee's and food is bought i have no money for the rest of the month lol i spend probably about £40 or £50 on shopping a month, but doing odd jobs gives me some pocket change to carry so its not all bad, its rough but least im happy

17. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Just some advice Micheal.

Most kickboxer's careers only last until their mid 30's to late 40's at most. Bouncers usually are around the same, I was a bouncer for roughly 10 years on and off; most people I worked with were between 20 to early 30's. You might want to find a career that has a better lifespan.

Just my opinion.

michael mckenna likes this.
  18. michael mckenna

i agree which is why i would prefer teaching taekwondo to be my main career, right now ive just turned 21 so ive got a good while before i need to stop

Kuyaken likes this.
  19. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Good luck; I know very few people who teach martial arts full time. Most of them have had to work at it part time until they were in there mid 30s; even then they usually take up part time jobs or supplemental jobs; one of my old MMA/BJJ/Kickboxing instructors does personal training, fighter management, and organizes local MMA events, as well as teaches. Its not easy doing it for a living.

Dave76 and Kuyaken like this.
  20. michael mckenna

sounds like my idea of a good life :)