how much would you charge or have been charged at a full time dojang ?

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by michael mckenna, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

If they train 8 hours a day,5 days a week...equals= burn out! I trained 4-4.5 hours a day, 6 days a week while in Korea for 4.5 years and believe me most guys didn't last a few months! Most soldiers stationed in Korea who take TKD only train for a year before going back home to the USA. I left Korea as a 1st Dan Black Belt in TKD and Hapkido after 4.5 years of training because I wasn't interested in testing. I was a 1st Dan in TangSooDo and Bushido Ryu Karate before going to Korea. Like the others have said, pro fighters don't train that much! If you train 4 hours a day...that's plenty... because your body needs to rest at some point. I do train everyday but not that long. 45 minutes of stretching, 3 hours of teaching class 4 days a week is plenty. Master Fahy

2. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Master Fahy, as you and I and every other EXPERIENCED martial artist can see is a bit of truth stretching. I'm happy to accept he trains for a few hours but 8 hours, well I'm a 12th Dan if its true.

Master Fahy likes this.
  3. michael mckenna

michael mckenna Grasshoppa

well it is true and i have no reason to lie as ive been completely open about what i do from the very start, back in the 50s in was the norm to train that long just read some stuff he il cho said in blackbelt magazine about the training back then im basically trying to do the same thing

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

It was less conceivable to the rest of us basically for two reasons: the intensity level of nearly any type of training not being conducive to eight hrs a day x5 days a week and life's responsibilities of family and work. The means by which you don't need to worry about a job seems less than forthright, in particular if your designation of being "disabled" essentially has the govt paying to allow you to hang out in the dojo and train all dayo_O

Fin Smith, Master Fahy and Kuyaken like this.
  5. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

One of my pet hates in the UK is those that fraudulently claim sickness benefit to prevent them from working. If you are fit enough to train 8 hours a day you are fit enough to get a job. I'm disgusted

6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

most full time fighters dont train 8hrs per day, Im not talking about the 50s im talking about people now competing in full contact muay thai/k1 or mma, The average is in the region of 4 hrs and thats a split training day 2hrs morning/ 2 hrs afternoon, plus eating breakfast and lunch doesnt count as training ;) Doing Katas etc for many hrs on end I dont believe will make you a better k1 fighter as you mentioned previously in posts that you want to be, We can disagree about that last point but I know guys here who are pro mma and muay thai fighters that probably dont even know what a kata is and get paid for winning fights( No disrespect Kuyaken I know you understand the context of what I am trying to convey here)

I get that you are 21 and time is on your side but if you trained 2 hrs in the morning went to work then 2 hrs at night that would be sufficient to take to very far in fighting before you might have to become a "full time" fighter. Look each to their own but damn dude 8hrs a day o_O sounds a massive stretch when I have trained with and know pro fighters

Kuyaken and Master Fahy like this.
  7. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

People with Autism usually find it very hard to focus (pay attention) for very long, let alone do it for eight hours! I have trained many handicap students including several with Autism and have found that on average they can focus only for a few minutes on any task assigned to do. Students without any disorders get bored after too long doing the same things. Mixing up your training is what is needed but again eight hours a day is just not feasible for most people in today's society. When competing nationally and in Korea I never trained more than 4 hours a day, 3 to 4 times a week. I used to think that I was the weird one who woke up each morning with martial arts on my mind and continued throughout the day until going to sleep! As a teenager I trained constantly every chance I had each day in between everything else I had to do, like school or work. Training for minutes does not mean hours (a few minutes here, a few there). I work 8 to 12 hours a day as a Police Officer and teach classes 4 days a week for 3 hours a day...so, I don't have the time to train 8 hours a day...I wouldn't even if I could because there is something called over training or "burn out" and everyone has this at some point in their life. Master Fahy

DeeD, Kuyaken and Aaron like this.
  8. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

I'm pretty sure that burnout is the central nervous system struggling to cope with the repeated stresses put on it without the rest time to adjust. The body itself in terms of muscular and skeletal systems can keep going if it's rested enough each day. Joint wear would be a large concern. But the CNS is what would suffer most, in fact it could hinder performance.

Anyways besides that. I'm at a small local Okinawan koryu. We charge £3.50 for a two hour lesson. Insurance is £14 a year and gradings cost around £10, Dan gradings more expensive at £50. All of our costs cover room hire and any extra monies always go back into the club.

Kuyaken and DeeD like this.
  9. michael mckenna

i pay back to my community all the time the only reason im on benefits that i got when i was younger is i cant find a ob that pays the same as my benefits i dont like being on benefits but i do wat i can for kids and the elderly around me how many benefit theifs can you say do that ? so dont judge unless you know the whole story i have been nothing but open about who i am and have stated i dont like having benefits when i physically dont need them but financially i wouldnt survive without them so i am doing wat i can to make myself secure without them and continually give back i am great full i have them so i give back as much as i can so the fact that someone judges another about having benefits that they needed back when they wasnt as confident and collected as they are now and give back and help people around them while doing things to make sure they dont have to have the benefits even more disgusts me. and if that is the way things are done on here to find something and then jump and judge them straight away i dont think i'd want to be on a forum like that when someone that is open and sincere and is constantly trying to better themselves gets judged so harshly

10. michael mckenna

they would most likely be on the high end of the scale, people with autism develop interests that they constantly like to do and talk about and that is pretty much me, master fahy you know me from taekwondo forum i dont bullshit anyone im always open and honest

11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Judged harshly? I think everyone has been rather easy on you so far. You spend a ludicrous amount of time training, equal to the time most will spend each week working, which is paid for by the govt because you're "disabled" yet don't see the irony of this. You claim to not like being on benefits but you've come to terms with it because you donate some of your free time to helping kids and the elderly. Well BS - you do like being able to simply do whatever you enjoy with no responsibilities and perhaps you assuage your guilt by donating a piddling amount of your free time to those in need. Which is like putting perfume on a pig, it's still ugly and it still stinks. Also just an FYI, I can just about guarantee that if you spent eight hours a day x5 days a week helping kids & elderly and trained two to four hours a day no one would have been nearly so offended at your everything-paid-for-by-taxpayers status. You've managed to rationalize your morally repugnant behavior in your own mind, but don't claim to be a victim when the warriors of this forum call you on your bullshit. We have our disagreements and debates on almost everything so when we all agree on something you might want to reassess your own position.

Kuyaken, Dave76 and JesterX like this.
  12. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Michael, first of all I never commented on you getting any assistance from the government nor do I want to comment on that! I did comment on the 8 hours of training per day, 5 days a week. You also mentioned Autism, which I know that most people with Autism can't focus on anything too long. Are there exceptions, yes... but the norm is they can't! Being around a school and training is two different things. I do find it hard to believe that anyone trains 8 hours a day and they aren't a professional fighter...and I doubt very much that professional fighters do that much! That's my opinion. Master Fahy

michael mckenna likes this.