How too measure the force?

Discussion in 'Striking Martial Arts' started by pewart, Apr 8, 2013.

1. pewart

pewart Improving but ... not there yet.

I have been thinking lately of making up a sensor kit to measure the force of a punch, kick or weapon strike. As it would be very unlikely that I am the first person to want to do this I thought I would sound out through BBF.
    So my question is what is the best sensor to use and what is the recommended set up to do this??

NWPMDr likes this.
  3. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

This might give you some ideas.

4. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I can't look for the links right now but many years ago there was a commercially-available sensor that you could slip over a heavy bag - you might try Googling "martial arts strike sensor" or some such. Let us know what you find!

dmach likes this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

If you specifically want to rate your own stats for striking, these are the sensors used on Deadliest Warrior http://www.futek.com/product.aspx (as far as I know they still use this product line unless someone outbid them as a sponsor)
    If you want general striking forces for various weapons and strikes then simply pull up old episodes of DW and make yourself a chart based on their findings. You can check out YouTube as many have already made this easier by making Season 1 Weapons, etc.

6. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Here is a site I found in the Uk here it is called imptec they look pretty good but expensive. ;)

7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I think the Jedi can sense it in others, and how powerful they are with it.:eek:

pewart and Sabomnim Dan like this.
  8. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

When my instructor used to work for Ford he used the wall they crash cars against to test for impact forces. I can literally say I've been punched in the head with the force of a mini hitting me at 35mph :D

(Edit, not sure the units measured probably punds per square inch. Will ask next time I see my instructor in the Dojo)

pewart and Locutus like this.
  9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

id love to use a sensor to measure improvement

10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

DeeD likes this.
  11. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

12. pewart

pewart Improving but ... not there yet.

Thanks all for the helpful tips on measuring sensors, I plan to get back on to these this year.

Imptec looks to be the one for a fully built up unit, prices not too bad as long as they last a few years.

The sensors themselves are only a few dollars, the chips to make them think are only a few dollars and the software to run the data is free. The problem is the expertise to connect them together and make 'em work is very expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014