Humility: What Does It Get You?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by SifuPhil, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

This is very true, especially when there are off limits zones on the body, a grappler is not hampered much by the rules of an MMA fight, especially in the UFC. This is not to say that a striker is powerless, but when a person shoots in for a take down the standard counter (i was taught) was to drive the tip of the elbow down into the neck between the atlas and the axis... the problem being that that is potentially a lethal move and there fore illegal in pretty much very sanctioned bout in the USA, Same can be said for kicking a downed opponent. This leaves strikers at a disadvantage unless they cross train into other arts.
    on the flip side i would rather have an arsenal of strikes to draw on for self defense than have grappling as my fall back, especially when dealing with multiple opponents.

Ryannmnzo and Master of Nothing like this.
  2. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

In the early days of MMA, the moves you describe actually were permitted. It didn't stop grapplers from dominating.

Blade Maker likes this.
  3. Bonnell74

Bonnell74 Disciple

That was a very good post Sifu Phil! I had never put much thought into it, but you described it pretty perfectly!! Something I will be thinking about at every class from now on. Thanks for that!

SifuPhil and Aaron Hutto like this.
  4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

This can work for self defense, but you'd be surprised how ineffective it is against a good wrestler/grappler. Typically you don't shoot for a takedown unless you can touch someone, or you set it up well by coming off their centerline. So you're blast doubled off your feet or single leg driven down, body locked wrenched down, etc. before you can employ an elbow.
    Actually, a wrestler is probably going to put the striker on his back and have the option to rise up and launch kicks and other strikes. So this works more in a striker's favor.
    Fortunately we no longer have to choose one or the other. It's rarer now to not have striking and grappling options in any given area, so nearly everyone can crosstrain.(y)

Dpendleton, Enkidu and Blade Maker like this.
  5. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

You 100% right, i think that is because the strikers had no idea what they were getting into and at that point most people in MMA were still Style purists. I also think that there is some reluctance to kill an opponent in a sport match, and since there is a definite possibility of that with full force strikes to the spinal column.

Dpendleton and Aaron Hutto like this.
  6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

An even safer take down against a striker can be accomplished from beyond striking range and if someone doesn't have grappling training to sprawl effectively it will prevent the strike to the elbow to the spine, back of neck... we called it the "dart" when I trained. It is a very low single leg, where the target is the foot/ankle of the lead leg. This is the take down that Randy Couture used a couple years ago when he fought James Toney.

Jump ahead to the 1:00 min mark of this video to see it in action... you can actually go lower than Randy did:

Blade Maker likes this.
  7. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Thanks, Bonnell - I almost missed your comment in the midst of all this humility! :D

Aaron Hutto and RJ Clark like this.
  8. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Well I'm a beautiful and unique tulip. My mummy said so.

Seriously though, on humility, yeah sure it's great for preventing getting your head kicked in for being a big mouth but it won't get you anywhere in the workplace where you have to push and promote yourself.. Unless you wanna be like Caine and "walk the earth" but no one really wants that do they?

9. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

great motto

Aaron Hutto likes this.
  10. Dpendleton

Dpendleton Warrior Monk

I can agree with that 100%, Now I am not going to say Ali was not a hero but he came up in America at a different time when black folks was not even treated like citizens. I can understand where he is coming from I am not good enough to go to school with you and eat with you but I am good enough to only die for you. Pat Tillman had my respect as he went in without being but into a draft situation and the man died a hero. I am going to leave as different era. If I was born back then I would have been on the fence about going to.

11. SifuPhil

Well MY mummy said I'm an awesome rose, so nyah-nyah! :p

Depends on the workplace, doesn't it? And, the world of business being what I would call an "artificial" one, is probably exempt from the Laws of Humility as they apply to martial artists.

What's wrong with walking the Earth? He was just looking for his brother ... it isn't HIS fault all those naughty cowboys always picked on him for being a "Chinaman". :rolleyes:

12. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Every workplace I've ever been in. Humility wont get you anywhere in the army, corporate security, steel fabrication...

What's wrong with walking the earth? Well to quote my good buddy Vincent Vega: without a job, residence or legal tender ... You're gonna be a fukin bum.

Steven Seagal looks more Chinese than David Carradine

SifuPhil likes this.
  13. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Depends really, most fights that start in the heat of the moment are between 2 people and friends rarely get involved, mainly cos they're over so quickly but also because most people would rather not get involved.

Then again come round my endz and Manz get merked for dere shoes and ting you get me blud?

Seriously though there are gangs and when they attack it's usually a minimum of 5 on 1. (Safety in numbers doncherknow) they'll rush you (run at you and knock you down) then jump up and down on you. Best thing to do if you see it coming is run like fuck! These kids sit around smoking all day and never train (unless you count running away from the police) so out running them isn't a problem and these are always coordinated attacks.

14. SifuPhil

Priesthood, librarian, janitor ...

Yeah, well, you see how HE ended up, right? :p

15. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Those are kinda dead end jobs though, I mean not like librarians or janitors have many opportunities for advancement... and I'm not touching the priesthood with a 10' barge pole..

What did happen to Jules in pulp fiction? Vincent got shot by Butch but I don't think we ever find out what happened to Jules...?

16. SifuPhil

I once knew a janitor who started his own company and ended up buying a quarter-million dollar home and driving a new Vette every year ...

He turned into this guy ...

[​IMG]

Seriously.

He started off as a stone-cold thief and murderer, had an epiphany, moved to a monastery and later "walked the Earth like Kung-Fu".

Life is stranger than fiction. :D

17. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I'd like to meet this guy! Sounds like my kinda guy!

Did he build his business through humility? Or did he have to push and promote himself?

I'm currently trying to build my business and I don't think I'm being humble to do it :D
    tbh in my humble opinion anyone who advertises their products/services is going to big them up. I don't advertise my business by being humble. I make out customers are gonna get the best possible service at the most competitive price. :)

18. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I've found that offering great service at a great/best price, then striving to deliver the best possible service works quite well. It gives you some wiggle room in case a job doesn't go exactly as envisioned (Damn you, Mr. Murphy!). The psychology behind under-promising and over-delivering works out better than promising the world and possibly only delivering the moon (it's still great, but not as great as promised). Although that may not be viable depending on what you do. It's odd, but you can move a mountain for someone and they'll still say "I wouldn't recommend him. He promised to move two mountains but in the end only moved one.":rolleyes:

Judah likes this.
  19. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Exactly! I don't pretend the service I offer is better than any other, it's no worse either, but the price is very competitive and we always strive to provide the best possible service cos a happy customer is a regular customer :)

I think it largely depends on what you're selling. My business is very subjective, I have one employee who gets the most work because customers always ask for her, they'll wait ages and pay extra too!

RJ Clark likes this.
  20. Asriel

Asriel Disciple

Dude you sound like a pimp