Hurt or not

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sneaker, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I was reading a post earlier and notice this "Wish I had been a Jiu-jitsu man my whole career - I believe it would have been kinder to an aging body. I'm 62 now and every damn thing hurts."

I keep hearing long time Tae Kwon Do students/instructors getting some back pains
    I keep hearing long time Karate students/instructors getting some joint pains
    I keep hearing blah blah blah blah so you will know what I am talking about
    Now I just read "should have take Jiu-Jitsu and would have been kinder to an aging body"

Is that true ?

So I am 44.5 years young and still a karate guy (japanese/korean)
    No, I am not in pain yet but stiff ... I need to do more stretching.

What about Tai Chi ?

what are your thinking, thought etc about it or anything good or bad ?
    I would like to know the whole nine yard talk :)

Thanks.

I like combat Hapkido style and still waiting to learn (nothing close by here) ... and best of all, self-defense (control/subdue/combat).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  3. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

Years ago the training was definitely different than it is today. It was much more harder and they didn't have the knowledge of sports training medicine. When you got hurt, you got wrapped up and continued your training. If you trained in Karate or Kung Fu or Taekwondo or jiu-jitsu...it wouldn't have mattered because your training would be intense. Look at pro wrestlers, by the time they reach 60....most can't walk without a cane or have major back problems and the majority of them die around this time in life. I have several problems however, most were from the military or other sports, not martial arts. Chuck Norris is still active in his 70's, look at Bill Wallace, two hip replacements, Russia's president Putin is a jiu-jitsu black belt and still trains. Some arts are easier on your body than others. That's why you must take care of yourself, nobody else will. Master Fahy

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Quick answer: Fighting in any form will eventually have a negative effect on some part or parts of your body. Throwing and being thrown, joints locks, chokes, and all the wear & tear that happens from trying to implement and defend all aspects of grappling is certainly no easier on the body than any given striking style/art/sport.

Judah, dmach, MattCMMA and 3 others like this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Thank you ... I appreciate that

... at the end ... everybody dies :D

I will just keep going as much as I can while taking care of myself.

Anybody else ? Don't stop here now :confused:

6. liam

liam Disciple

For me, I'm a cynical bastard. I look at life as everything gets old, everything falls apart and everything dies. Nothing on or in this world will last forever. I will enjoy my life the way I want. I will do the activities, enjoy the food and the spirits. I will take pleasure in the company of good friends and enjoy a good fight. If when I get older my body begins to decay for I am done using it, well that means I enjoyed myself and I didn't waste the gift God gave me.

But on to that, I do enjoy yoga and yang long form.

7. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Yeah, we all pay a price to be warriors. But when you look at the any elder martial artist as an old lion (or lioness) could still bang with and often beat a younger lion but will try to avoid doing so as we, ahh, I mean they ;) don't bounce back from it as quickly. But no matter what the old lion is still a killer and more formidable than the sheep and other mundane animals that populate the rest of the world.

JesterX, DeeD, Rugratzz and 4 others like this.
  8. Dale

Dale Scholar of the martial arts

as a karate guy in my opinion stiff practice makes stiff people later on when they master being stiff. A lot of karate guys are way too tight and never fix it, and it only gets worse, so if you practice being loose you won't have as much of a problem. Also working towards doing more damage with less muscle power is good as well. stiffness is however an aging point in any martial art so you just have to keep that in mind.

Sneaker likes this.
  9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Sorry? Missing the downside there. LMAO
    ...Train until you walk with a cane... sounds more like a plan. J/K

dmach, liam and Sneaker like this.
  10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Love it. Have to relay a point of "old man" satisfaction when sparring with an 18 year old second Dan the other night. Bigger, faster kid... real a good kid too. Long reach (legs and hands) a bit of a headhunter.
    But when I nailed right through the chest protector, into the solar-plexus on a stutter step hook...
    And he started making "oof... oof..." noises trying to regain his breath and stand back up straight and shake it off about 3 or 4 times and couldn't...
    Well... Satisfaction, yes.

Dave76, RJ Clark, liam and 1 other person like this.
  11. liam

liam Disciple

And then train how to fight with the cane

RJ Clark likes this.
  12. Master Fahy

Master Fahy Samurai

They can't walk without support! LMAO Master Fahy

13. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

More than likely its what happens when you don't take the flexibility part of the training seriously. Of course accidents happen along the way to, which as you age tends to become arthritis.

Maybe we should work on a "Walking Frame Kata"???

Dave76 and Sneaker like this.
  14. Judah

Judah fights in tights

True that. At 35 I'm nowhere near as fast or fit as I was at 25, so in world level competition I get my ass kicked, but when it comes to it, all but the best youngsters at the same (or similar) weight aren't much trouble for me and I really doubt I've got much to worry about from an untrained opponent.

To answer the OP:
    I think as one ages, one must train smarter, not harder. For example, I now take longer to warm up and I don't go straight into throwing head kicks at the start of my workout because my back hurts more when I do. You learn what causes pain and figure out a way around it. And as Master Fahy said, these days we have a better understanding if how to prevent and treat sports injuries.

Sneaker and RJ Clark like this.
  15. Otto Pozzo

Otto Pozzo I know the questions. Answers? I'm clueless.

I remember going to Karate referee clinics in the seventies. I remember seeing the high ranking members of the "old school" group, who were the instructors (and THEIR instructors) of everyone I knew. I remember looking at some of them and thinking "They don't look as fit as I think they should look." (Yes, I was dumb as a post)
    I went to a tournament this past Saturday. At one point I found myself in a room filled with other old Martial Arts people. I thought to myself as I chuckled, "A lot of us don't look as fit as some might think we should."

As for the jiu-jitsu point. It has been my experience that older Jits people (those training for a long time as opposed to an older beginner.) function at a higher level in their art than most older Karate people do. Myself included. This seems especially true in rolling (sparring).

I think (not really sure) that the power we use in repetitive striking while drilling, especially in kicking, tends to wear the joints down, especially knees and hips. I think a lot of us while in our twenties and thirties beat ourselves up with our training. Kickers, those with the higher natural skills of kicking, anyway, tend to have the attitude that kicking is "a bestial release of human fury" which is a great thing for kicking, but maybe not such a great thing for the older body.

Sneaker and Caneman like this.