I had a MA filled weekend!

Discussion in 'Ninjitsu' started by Traderjoe, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

MMA ring side seats on Saturday night, and Sunday Judo black Belt Tournament Sunday morning. I am always impressed by the athletes but that MMA tell me WHY do they get in ring and beat each other so badly seems to have an endless supply of fighters? Judo has so many rules how can you even keep up with all of them? This really validates why I picked a non competitive art I know when I am getting better.

3. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Was it a local MMA event?

I've been to a local MMA fight to see a friend fight and watched a much larger show in Glasgow with international fighters etc. I really loved the atmosphere with the local show as everyone was cheering for friends etc and had an interest in at least one of the fights.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  4. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Yes a local Amateur and a couple headline fights. They sure beat on each other.

5. Mario Paul

Mario Paul Samurai

Sounds like a good weekend Joe. It always amazes me why people would do such a thing. Each to their own I guess. Like you I cannot see the reason why you would stand in front of a moving train.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Agreed on Judo. But I have to point out that you certainly do know when you're getting better at a competitive art. The very fact that you either win or lose is an indication of your performance. To get to the pro level takes serious refinement of skills, a masochistic love of training (and/or a slightly sadistic coach to push you;)) and mental fortitude. When these two men get in the cage together it may seem like a brutal war of attrition, but it's actually a game of nuance and capitalizing on slight advantages or little mistakes the other makes. No need to go too far into it, but I think I got my point across:)

Joe Lopez and Enkidu like this.
  7. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

MMA is more like chess than any other martial art or combat sport.

Joe Lopez likes this.
  8. Traderjoe

Traderjoe Disciple

Looks like rough chess.

Papajay and RJ Clark like this.