If Martial Arts Advertising Were Honest

Discussion in 'Articles' started by SifuPhil, Oct 11, 2012.

1. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

You've probably seen plenty of print advertisements for martial art schools and seminars; you might even remember those great black-and-white ads in the backs of comic books. They are all designed to motivate you into taking action NOW, because theirs is the only school / course that can make you into the great person you know you can be.

They throw around all those great buzz-words like "get in great shape" and "defend yourself" and make like it's only YOUR achievement that they're worried about.

Well, what if they had to print HONEST motivations in their ads?

Original Ad:

Martial Arts and More.png

Honest Ad:

Martial Arts and More-2.png

Original Ad:

mmaxout-martial-arts-school-owners.jpg

Honest Ad:

mmaxout-martial-arts-school-owners-2.jpg

Original Ad:

maspethkarateforkidsspecial.jpg

Honest Ad:

maspethkarateforkidsspecial-2.jpg

Original Ad:

Counte Dante.jpg

Honest Ad:

Count D Moeny 1.jpg

Original Ad:

Chinese-New-Year-.png

Honest Ad:

Chinese-New-Year-2.jpg

Original Ad:

E-ads-_FSM.jpg

Honest Ad:

I got nothin'.

How could I improve on such a SUPERB style, one that includes Dance Fists, doing the Tango and of course "Ball Games".

Some ads just don't NEED any help. :banghead:

Attached Files:

3. TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger Taoist Immortal

Brilliant. Especially the Count Dante one.

But please, do an Ashida Kim. Maybe his 'erotic bestseller' The Amorous Adventures of Ashida Kim?

It's real. Google it.

SifuPhil likes this.
  4. SifuPhil

Thanks. In fact I've been doing some research on the inestimable Mr. Kim for the past few weeks - I'm devoting an entire article to him.

He deserves no less. :sneaky:

I'll probably do a parody of "Amorous" as part of the deal - thanks for the idea!

TheWhiteTiger likes this.
  5. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

I had top take my time reading this due to cracking up on the honest ads

SifuPhil likes this.
  6. SifuPhil

I know, right? It's hard to parody something that already parodies itself ... o_O

7. SifuPhil

And in humor there is often truth ... I admire your honesty in advertising, I really do. :D But I also know that it would turn off a lot of people - the masses don't WANT truth, they want dreams. Their greed overpowers their common sense and the result is seen in some of these ads.

Regent St-Onge likes this.
  8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

You miiiight have too much spare time on your hands! haha! Good stuff!:D

Dave76, Dpendleton and SifuPhil like this.
  9. UK-Student

UK-Student Disciple

The sad truth is that so many schools that focus 100% on points sparring and forms competitions still put "learn self defence" on their flyers. I have met some great martial artists and enjoyed going to their classes but when I see "learn self defence" on their flyer, I cringe. They don't offer any self defence training. It's not a con because these people probably falsely feel that the statement is true, but it's sad that people could come to learn something and not get it. I'm not even trying to judge whether their system "works" or not, they just don't teach self defence, don't spend any time addressing it.

Dpendleton and SifuPhil like this.
  10. SifuPhil

You wouldn't be the first to suggest that ...

But I've slain all the samurai, vanquished all the villains and nullified all the ninja clans - there's precious little left for me to occupy my time. My harem of two dozen 18-year-olds gets boring day after day, you really can't spend $15 billion, so what's a poor guy like me to do BUT write? :bored:

TheWhiteTiger and Dave76 like this.
  11. SifuPhil

I wonder if at least part of that isn't the fear of lawsuits coming back to bite them ...

12. SifuPhil

Their loss, and I think your gain. (y)

Dpendleton likes this.
  13. Dpendleton

Dpendleton Warrior Monk

My Chi loves this. Man this is funny I love it.

SifuPhil likes this.
  14. Dpendleton

Dpendleton Warrior Monk

Now that is a damn shame we have a similar situation where my stepson is at. The teacher has a black belt and a blue blue belt starting fresh even though he is letting them wear there belts. The black belt is good but his little sister is a wonder in how the Hell did she even get past white.

Regent St-Onge and SifuPhil like this.