Interesting way to tie your belt

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by MattCMMA, Aug 8, 2013.

1. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

I don't practice in the GI very often, but for those that do, try to tie your belt this way, give us some feedback if it's better or not. :)

3. MMADUDE

MMADUDE Initiate

I tie my belt this way for BJJ, it works really well

4. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

MMA people "effing" up the way a belt is tied... ;)
    Truly for those who thumb their nose at tradition... why bother with belts?
    It is just a big knot to push on your spine at some point when you are rolling. A grip for your opponent... etc.
    I would think it would be better to go with a chevron designation on your Gi/Do Bok top.

SifuPhil, MattCMMA and Sabomnim Dan like this.
  5. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Wow. If it's that much of an issue, just use a staple gun :confused:

SifuPhil likes this.
  6. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Disciple

I'm with Caneman. Why does anyone need a 'new and cool' way to tie their belt? The traditional knot is sufficient to hold your belt on during training and is designed to be as flat as possible so if it is struck you don't have a great ball of cloth crushing your squishy innards.

This just strikes me as a 'look at me I'm revolutionising martial arts by doing something different' situation.

liam and SifuPhil like this.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

'ZACKLY!

8. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Like I said, I rarely use a GI. Just figured I would share this with other's that use them more often. As for "revolutionising" by using an alternate knot with your belt....I think you're looking into it a bit too much.

RJ Clark likes this.
  9. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Sometimes people mess with things because they have a better way that proves itself. Sometimes people just mess with things for no good reason.
    If I was going to "mess" with belts... I would remove them totally, or use Velcro. Of course then, you could grab their belt and flail the crap out of them with it... maybe followed by choking them with it. LMAO

10. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

As long as the belt stays & look sharp like you meant it :)

11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Overall, not a big deal how anyone ties their effing belt as long as it looks neat and isn't too bulky. But the Velcro idea would only work for pure strikers. Any grappling and Velcro can have almost the same effect as stroking a rasp file across the skin, and it will be exposed eventually when rolling.

MattCMMA likes this.
  12. Sabomnim Dan

Sabomnim Dan Disciple

Exactly my point. In the video it appears the knot becomes too bulky, being around 8 times belt thickness after it is doubled at least three times. That's what leads me to my opinion that it's not an improvement but a change for change sake.
    That said, tie it however you want to tie it. The only people I insist tie their belts the way I tie mine are my students.

13. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Excellent quote.

Blade Maker likes this.
  14. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I was training tonight and even tho' it was no gi I took the time to try the knot while watching the vid on my phone. It's not too much thicker, but the knot as a whole is wider and takes more belt to tie than a more traditional knot. So one good use would be for a child who has a belt that's too long to tie it with this knot rather than having the ends hanging at or below the knees (I think most of us have seen this). Another great use would be to utilize this knot if you're going to compete in a tourney with TMA guys as it will throw them into a fit of rage at the sight of this outrageous knot and they'll attack with reckless abandon:ROFLMAO: But seriously I would not choose to use the new knot as it is larger overall and my belt fits just fine...

15. MMADUDE

MMADUDE Initiate

When I started training BJJ I found it very frustrating hainge to tie my belt every time after I rolled with a partner and found it too time consuming as well because normally we have to quickly find another partner to roll with as soon as the timer goes off, so I tried tieing the belt as the video I posted and it works great because it doesn't come undone and consequently changing partners is much more efficient.
    Bottom line is that it works for me. Give it a shot next time you doing some grappling with a gi on...
    :)

MattCMMA likes this.
  16. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Just a good old fashioned reef knot for me. Left over right, right over left. Very rarely does it ever work itself undone. Especially now that it's a bit older and a lot more pliable.

SifuPhil likes this.
  17. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Yes... but they are more likely to think... "guy can't tie a knot" and assume to have not been training for any real time. That would give you an advantage for the first 5 seconds.

18. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

I never pay attention to the way an opponent ties his belt... i am usually more concerned with with what's going on, not fashion sense. I will continue to tie my belt the way i always have, cause i don't have to think about it.

Besides if they were any kind of cool they would tie the belts into monkey-fist knots...

SifuPhil likes this.
  19. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Do the Cinderella spin with couple monkey fist balls belt ... That would be hilarious ... LoL !

Blade Maker likes this.
  20. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

21. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

(LAUGHING) good one blade maker ! Any steel ball in it ?