Is Ninjutsu Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Ninjitsu' started by Traderjoe, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Speed limit?

Do you mean like striking too fast? Is this an incremental fine based on the km per hour? ;-)

Master of Nothing likes this.
  2. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Yeah if you hit someone fast enough to hurt em it's a strike otherwise it's a push to defend yourself....

I made that up but it fits the prevailing attitude. Lol.

3. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

hmmm... so, stick with palm heal strikes vs punches and you`ll be okay ;-)

4. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Pretty much! That's what I do, the security cameras they have are usually so bad they can't judge speed very well, if your hand is open you can always argue it was a push rather than a strike.

5. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Another reason I prefer grappling arts to striking arts for most self defense situations is that it doesn't look so bad with law, even if it gets caught on CCTV.

Judah likes this.
  6. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Actually the "I felt threatened" should be "I felt that my physical well being or life was in danger", most police get tired of dealing with threats, I have found that saying it as i stated seems to help more here in Canada, as threatened can be a really vague statement to give police when the " shit hits the fan ", pardon the language, the more accurate you can be with that statement the better, the more they can understand "why you felt in danger" the better.

7. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Its getting really stupid in Canada, a kid could get curbed stomped on the play ground but if they try to fight back during it and teachers see it, its oh he's fighting back, its violent, thats not good, and they both get suspended or some lame punishment.

Ive told my kids class if they have to defend thenselves, do it, use only enough force to control it, and if the teachers have any problem with it call my cell phone. Ive already verbally tore a strip off of one teacher because i had a student fight back against a group of bullies. Basically told them that if they werent going stop the bullies from physically beating on kids that i would train every kid there to defend themselves against the bullies... those bullies never touched my students again... have to see what happens this school year.

8. Gone

Gone Guest

You have to be alive to be jailed.

I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah, Ninjitsu is a martial art. Dunno how different it is from Ju Jitsu, but whatever.

9. Judah

Judah fights in tights

It really is ridiculous to tell kids they can't defend themselves and even worse to punish them for it. Basically gives the bullies a free reign to do whatever they want, sure they may get punished if caught but they got a victim in a catch 22 situation either way the victim is gonna get abuse/victimised whatever. It's a fuckin ridiculous rule and in my view fukin unlawful, surely you have the right to defend yourselves in Canada? From what you describe it seems like Canada is a worse nanny state than the UK. Even here if my nephews or nieces ever get in any trouble at school and they defend themselves there's no automatic blanket punishment. What really grips my shot about what you've described is the fact that any kid being routinely bullied will feel as if there truly is NOTHING he/she can do about it, THAT is possibly one of the worst feelings there is, knowing bad shit is gonna happen and knowing there's jack you can do about it.

Master of Nothing and Sherratt like this.
  10. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Exactly, it's this feeling of not only being victimized by the bullies but in turn also by the school. And what does this teach the bullies? They can get away with hurting others and not suffer serious consequences or know the other person is going to get in trouble with them. What's to stop them from going from bully as a child to criminal as an adult?

Judah likes this.
  11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Not just the bully, the victim will come to believe there is no justice and that his/her only recourse is either to defend themselves or take their life. Problem with them defending the self is they often won't have any self confidence so will take drastic measures. I was bullied mercilessly as a kid, one day I took my dad's 9mm into school with me, loaded, lucky for me I didn't see any of the bullies. Unlucky for me my Dad found his pistol missing and when he discovered I had it I got a serious belting :(

12. Sherratt

Sherratt Disciple

have to say this thread is making me feel awefull :( not so bad in new zealand http://www.beehive.govt.nz/node/21365 but it dosent define "reasonable force" which is really unhelpful. in new zealand if a student or child had to defend himself against a bully they would look into much more closely into the situation and probably not punish the victim (at leased thats what i want to think.)

13. Judah

Judah fights in tights

I think "reasonable" is what a third party would consider reasonable and therefore totally subjective. The problem is the people who make the laws have never been in this kind of situation.

Joe Lopez likes this.