is ten pounds weight difference going to matter in sparring and fighting?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by rocco anthony King RAJA, May 20, 2013.

1. so I am going to go and train with a friend of a friend at his mma gym.....we will probably spar with takedowns....maybe some wrestling too

I am 180lbs and he is 190lbs.....his arms and abdomen are huge which leads me to believe that his legs are maybe skinny....

it will be interesting to spar with him...he trains muay thai but says he does not have good kicks....but his elbows are viscious....

so is 10 lbs going to matter when we are on the feet?
    the 10 lbs wont matter on the ground because he is going to school me anyway....

my opinion is 10 pounds wont matter too much....on the feet speed will make the difference
    rocco.

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

It won't matter. If he has proper training in muay thai you're already fucked. Just take the ass kicking like a man.

DeeD, Vldz, Enkidu and 2 others like this.
  4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

A small weight disparity shouldn't be much of a difference, what should be telling is the experience level difference. With you as a newbie (and to a lesser extent, those with experience) he shouldn't be looking to crush you with elbows while sparring as you'll be basically guaranteed to get split open and/or knocked out. You both need to "set the rules" clearly before you start as to what type of sparring you're going to do, what techniques are off-limits (should be a short list) and the intensity level. But you do that when you're there to spar - don't overthink it before you even bang with him.

Vldz likes this.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Depends on the person... but I agree with the above statements.
    Personally, I run 190 when I am light... and 200 when I am heavy. When I am light, I feel faster and more agile; when I am heavy I feel stronger and "bang" more. hence I usually ride 194 :).
    Probably the only difference you will see, if you are equal in any way... is that he will press more (push toward you)... and for ground (if he is smart), he will "get heavy" more... especially if he has any experience over you on the ground... as you will try to use strength, and tire yourself.

Dave76 and Vldz like this.
  6. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Reading this just made my day. LMAO!

I agree with what has already been said, it won't make much of a difference. You are going there to learn and if you do end up getting beat, especially more than once during those first few MONTHS of training there, take it in stride and learn from it. One thing I learned when I first started training is to push down that ego and play in my head what I did wrong and seek advice from those who watched and those I sparred against. It might be frustrating at first but as time progresses it'll get fun.

DeeD and Vldz like this.
  7. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

If you are 'sparring', then it wont make any difference. I regularly spar guys who are 4-5 inches taller then me and outweigh me by at least 20 lbs. Height is more of an obstacle when you are 'sparring'. But when it comes to actual fighting, weight will matter more. With grappling, even more so.

Vldz likes this.
  8. don't they say in a real fight the heavier guy usually wins?
    thanks for the input guys

9. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

All else being completely equal, yes, the heavier guy has an advantage. At 190lbs or so, though, the advantage is slight. At 145 it would be more of an advantage.

Vldz likes this.
  10. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Weight is completely irrelevant when you're training in any case. You're not going there to fight him you're going to gain experience.

11. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Worst ass-whupping I took in training in boxing was with a dude who I outweighed by probably 30 or 40 lbs. Of course he was the Amateur National Champion.

Judah likes this.
  12. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

In my experience, even 1 centimetre difference in reach is a difference.

The issue is more, much more than the physique of the opponent. The way he/she fight is also important, maybe even more important than the physique.

13. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

I supposed, if he has a proper training in Muay Thai, Rocco, you can use this experience as bone-toughening session. I just hope that his name is not Buakaw Por Pramuk. If he is then, well..... been nice to know you in the forum.

I mean I have been there too, busted my knee, elbow, ankle, rib-cage, wreck some tendon, have to stop training quite some times under doctor's "strong suggestion". But hey, I am still alive....

14. you know what....I have no problem being beaten up....the experience will be really good for me

renos will be going on in my house starting next week so I am gonna get to a proper gym......also with my sparring partner....I feel like I am teaching him...and that may be a bad thing.....as in I am on purpose throwing leg kicks and letting him counter me in the face.....I need someone to teach me how to problem solve against an effective striker

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  15. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

will be a good experience none the less, if he is an experienced striker just tell him to take it easy train at a pace the suits you and learn, thats the most importing thing.

and to answer your question 10lbs at an elite level can make a difference but in general doesnt make a difference, I regularly spar guys that are 30 pounds heavier than me and it makes no difference, The largest weight difference ive had was 128 lb, had 2 massive guys in class, 6.6 297 pounds. So you work with your skillset and try and exploit their weaknesses.

Vldz and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  16. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Not always, worst beating I ever took was from a guy 30kg (66lbs) lighter than me. Just because someone is lighter doesn't mean they can't bang, that's largely down to technique

17. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

The worst beating I ever got was from my own hand, and it was asleep at the time. :sneaky:

Vldz and Charlay Atkins like this.
  18. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Always knew you were a wanker! :p

Vldz and Charlay Atkins like this.
  19. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

At least I know I won't get rejected :)

Vldz, Charlay Atkins and DeeD like this.
  20. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

hahaha

21. Gone

Gone Guest

So at what weight variation does the differences become dangerous? 10kgs? 15kgs? 20kgs?