It's Time! UFC 154 prelims,etc.

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by MattCMMA, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

That was a BRUTAL knock out!! The whole bar was on their feet cheering on that one! Hendricks has thunder in those hands!

2. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I'm still in shock that he has one punched two top welterweights. It's unheard of. Even known big punchers have never been able to knock people out in seconds. Quite a likeable guy too. After seeing that, I'm not sure if I would rather see GSP take on Hendricks or Slva.

3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Silva is WAAAAAY too big for GSP. Seriously, Silva's walking around weight is 215 lbs. He cuts 30 lbs. to make 185! GSP's walking around weight is 190 or so. He cuts 20 lbs. to make 170. Remember, these guys rehydrate by fight time and are pretty close to being back at their walking around weight by fight time. So, even if they fight at a catch weight, assuming Silva can make the additional weight cut, we are talking about a fight between two top guys with one guy having a 25 lb. weight advantage. That really doesn't seem like a good fight to me. If they were closer to the same walking around weight, maybe it would be a good fight, but GSP is just giving up too much weight for me to think he could win the fight against Silva (even if I think GSP's skill set is tailor made to take advantage of Silva's weakness).

That is a long-winded way of saying I would rather see him face Hendricks.

4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I think that is always going to be an issue when fighters move up or down a weight category. So it kind of makes the fight pointless as if GSP loses they will just say he was too small.

It's worth noting that Silva used to fight at 168 but that was a long time ago...he's 37 now.Though Silva is quite a small guy. He always seem a bit chubby when compared to other fighters. Maybe he could slim down a bit...though it's more likely that GSP would have to bulk up a little.

I do think Silva is a better match up with GSP than he is for Jones. Jon Jones is a huge light heavyweight and could easily go up to heavyweight and fight if he wanted (something I suspect he will do later in his career).