Jeet Kune Do now.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Jovan, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

How is Jeet Kune Do right know? Because in an documentary from bruce lee on discovery they quoted him that he said that Jeet Kune Do will be different in every year. He can't change it right know, and I dont really know how they fight in Jeet Kune Do and how they teach JKD to others.

3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

4. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

If I understand this correct, the fighting technique of JKD is a bit like MMA? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do#Four_ranges_of_combat Only the philosophy of JKD is different? He says you dont need to stick on techniques and styles, so how can you learn JKD if it doesn't has really a technique to stick on?

5. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

As in any system. Learn the "basics". Techniques should never be written in stone. They are more of a reference guide. Something for you to draw from. You are always going to alter and adjust. As every new practitioner becomes prevalent in a particular system, it becomes their style of that system. They add their own take on it. In this way it continues to grow. I always want my students to become better than me. No as good. If they are only to become as good, then nothing changes. The system remains stagnant.

Vidadi and Sneaker like this.
  6. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

JKD has no style and no technique ... just like human without a skin and we can not stop growing or decaying

Ask yourself this, did you walk the same way now as you were a baby ? ... I guess not, so that is the basic, "walking" and as we getting older walking getting better and learned avoid the sidewalk crack tripping you.

This is pretty much the main idea or bottom line what is JDK :
    Absorbing what is useful

This is the idea that a martial artist can only learn techniques in their proper context, through a holistic approach. Styles provide more than just techniques: They offer training methods, theories, and mental attitudes. Learning these factors allows a student to experience a system in what Lee called its "totality". Only through learning a system completely will an artist be able to, "absorb what is useful," and discard the remainder. Real combat training situations allow the student to learn what works, and what doesn't. The critical point of this principle is that the choice of what to keep is based on personal experimentation with various opponents over time. It is not based on how a technique may look or feel, or how precisely the artist can mimic tradition. In the final analysis, if the technique is not beneficial in combat, it is discarded. Lee believed that only the individual could come to understand what worked; based on critical self-analysis, and by, "honestly expressing oneself, without lying to oneself."

p.s. if you taking MMA classes and applying JKD into it then you should end the fight quickier than MMA alone and save energy or not wasting anytime on it.

Kuyaken, Vidadi and Jovan like this.
  7. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Thank you, this clears things a bit up for me about JKD.

Sneaker likes this.
  8. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

It's just like parkour. Every individual practitioner will have their own explanation and put their own spin on it. Just like Bruce Lee I think the core of it died long ago and was never truly passed on as a complete system (even a complete set of principles doesn't fully exist to my knowledge).

Unfortunately Bruce Lee died well before his time and a long way before he hit his true maturity as a martial artist.

Kuyaken likes this.
  9. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Ashihara karate was exactly the same, Ashihara Kancho Passed before he completed the system. Not enough senior Shihans to interpret the information etc. Now years later various organisations who "don't get on" detailing the rules etc.

I'm glad I'm independant as it seems it more like "money in the correct pot" politics as is with Kyokushin and Shotokan and other Organisations, there's even splinter groups of GoKan Ryu.

Jeet Kune Do was too young to form a real style, too many are FMA's or Wing Chun Kwans holding the JKD flag to win students through the doors

Void_Karateka likes this.
  10. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Any style then could be Jeet Kune Do, my style could be Jeet Kune Do as its the Hybrid of all I have learnt before.

I know there's a lot of politics/legal issues in the "Style" of JKD.

Appologies my friend - FMA stands for Filipino Martial Arts - Sifu Dan Inosanto