Joe Rogan teaching TKD techniques to Duane Ludwig

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by MattCMMA, Aug 28, 2013.

1. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Joe Rogan showing the spinning back kick to Duane Ludwig & also TJ Dillashaw [holding camera] in his garage before his Podcast with the both of them. Some great pointers on how to do the kick correctly.

Bonus:
    Rogan kicking while Dillashaw holds the pad.

Kevin, Sneaker and RJ Clark like this.
  3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Good instruction except hip telegraphing (spinning side kick) ... should be head look over shoulder finding the target before execute ... What do you think ?

The Spinning Heel/Hook Kick is proper executed very well.

4. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Nice done. Nice too see this because there aren't much Taekwondo practicers right now that execute the hook kick ( Pandal Chagi ) well.

5. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

i like Joe he always comes across as being a teacher, really wanting to empower whoever he trains with

MattCMMA likes this.
  6. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

It's not a kick thrown by itself, Joe definitely mentions setting it up with something else. Most spinny-jumpy kicks are doomed to fail if thrown alone or as the first action due to the nature of how they are initiated (when it isn't two kick-centric guys facing one another who agree to remain at their ideal range). One of the very few spinning attacks I'll throw on my combos is a hybrid back-side kick with my leg bent to finish snapping up under their guard ideally for a nice liver or rib shot, kind of Benny "The Jet" style. But you pull the trigger on the technique based on where they are at that moment, spotting the opponent over your shoulder before is pointless and can bleed some of the rotational momentum/power (or torque?) from the kick. Again though, I'm not sparring or fighting guys who want to stay out in kickland so I adjust, mask, and/or combine my kicks with other techniques to make them high percentage across the board no matter who I pair up with on any given day.

MattCMMA and Sneaker like this.
  7. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

taekwondo is bullshit

Eric Dufurrena, Caneman and RJ Clark like this.
  8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Then you just don't know how or understand it ... that is ok.

9. RJ Clark

Intentional or not that was a great Master Ken statement :)

Eric Dufurrena, MattCMMA and Pedro like this.
  10. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

it was

RJ Clark likes this.
  11. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Actually use that combo often in sparring, I always set it up with my hands first otherwise guy will see it coming

Sneaker, RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  12. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Exactly. Being a martial artist is all about "the setup" to me. That's where the Art[in Martial Art] becomes apparent in my view. Anyone can train techniques and be able to be proficient in them. But "the setup" of those techniques is where the artistry shines. You set traps, makes you fall for them, applies a certain technique, only for a sweep or advance in position. The Omoplata comes to mind in a BJJ perspective or martial art. It is rarely used as a finishing move, but as a sweep to advance grappling position [ to side control]. The same can be said for [insert name[ of martial art. Boxing, TKD, Muay Thai, BJJ. They all have power techniques, but the Art in it, is "the setup" of those techniques to be useful and effective.

13. RJ Clark

Great post! (y) Also WTF, were you sitting in on my training two sessions ago where one of the focus areas was almost exclusively using bent arm locks to improve position and nothing else? ;) Off of this we can talk about combining techniques and the transitional flow that is necessary for "the set-up". It is the application of techniques during chaos that the artistry shines. Too many take art to mean some kind of philosophically pleasing character building or something aesthetically pleasing and orderly. The art in martial arts is flowing through and thriving in chaos and the training to make that as familiar as possible before you are thrown into a dynamic situation to flounder and fail. Anything other than that is just art...from my perspective. Some may agree but I'm sure many more will disagree

MattCMMA and Sneaker like this.
  14. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I like this (y)

Can't agree more.

Pity Im on the otherside of the world would be great to train with you guys(y)

RJ Clark likes this.
  15. RJ Clark

Well, I play the the lottery once a week and when I win big I'll have an open invite for everyone/anyone to fly here for as long as they want all expenses paid to train after I build my Dream Dojo/Gym. Since I'll have more money than I know what to do with I'll build it adjacent to a hotel that I'll buy so my friends can stay for free and I'll renovate and expand the spa area for body repair and recovery after the day's training...:D

DeeD likes this.
  16. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha seems like we have the same dreams

RJ Clark likes this.
  17. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Full wet bar. I don't want any of that mini fridge stuff!!! :wacky:

RJ Clark likes this.
  18. RJ Clark

Absolutely. Work hard, play hard! I'll also have a pub (low key), club (party!), and restaurant on site but well insulated from one another so as to not affect the atmosphere of each other. Although off-duty activities better not have a detrimental effect on training... Oh, did I mention the underground shooting range?

19. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Somthing in a "tactical" please. Maybe a kill house.......yeah my son and I would get hours of fun out of that!!

20. RJ Clark

I'll talk with my architect about the kill house, modular so that it's never the same run twice. I just had an epiphany for the name. CARBINE PA: Combat And Recreational Building In North East Pennsylvania. Not bad. Aaaand this thread is officially hijacked. Sorry, Matt...

21. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Perfect!! I especially like the "Combat and Recreational" part. Anything that makes a person go, "Hmmmm". o_O

RJ Clark likes this.