Joe Rogan teaching TKD techniques to Duane Ludwig

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by MattCMMA, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

agreed was referring to the statement michael made

I do this all the time :D , I lower my lead hand to setup my counter, so bait the guy to take the shot i want him to take . Im a huge "behaviour" person in general so love the mental aspect of the game tremendously

MattCMMA likes this.
  2. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

That would be funny if we matched up... would be that most "boring, do nothing, wait to counter" match up... where neither of us would take the fake leads.

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

+1000
    If you look at MMA champions in the UFC. You see this *transitional skill between different martial arts VERY high. This ability to transition from stand up, to wrestling, to BJJ & back and forth is a common trait with champions.
    * This is an overall statement, considering 2 long reigning champs [Anderson Silva & Benson Henderson} have had their win streaks beaten and belt taken. CRAZY YEAR. So The numbers are still rolling on those two new champs [Chris Weidman & Anthony Pettis] for overall champ stats.

DeeD likes this.
  4. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Not to "wax too philosophical" (where is Phil?)... but this might need a new thread.
    Funny, I was doing nunchuck work at the end of last week... and I hate nunchucks... but I train with different weapons some purposefully.
    Then I "take away those movements" and do whatever translation is possible to cane.
    - So I took away a motion where you start with both nunchucks at your hip and roll your shoulder forward allowing the back nunchuck to lead on a "ribbon pattern" where as drawing from the right hip, you enter a clock face at 6, follow clockwise around to 6 and exit to the opposite hip.
    - When I apply that to the straight cane (or sword), you would draw palm out blade forward cutting an upward diagonal and then bringing it down at a downward opposite diagonal and ending on an opposite side "hip chamber".
    - If you apply the crook of the cane, the rotation allows for either diagonal or horizontal strikes and leads into a reverse downward after the opposite hip chamber which leads into the proper right handed rotation for a crook "down to up" transition which leads to a natural extended arm horizontal "whip", into a figure 8.... etc, etc.
    - If you remove the weapon...
    a. the motion allows for upward "wrist" block (like I see frequently in kung fu)
    b. followed by a natural "chop" to the side of the neck (like is normal to Korean and Japanese arts)
    c. followed by a cup grab behind the neck followed by a left knee (like is normal to Mauy Thai)
    d. OR instead of c. followed by a grip or under shoulder lock with a right step inward and a hip throw (like is normal to Judo)

And, you could split hairs here or call out different strikes, throws, locks, etc... BUT that is the exact point.
    If you really think about body movements... heck you could throw in a Capoeira kick as you re-chamber to the opposite hip... or a flying figure 4 as you come up on the clock from 6.

This is what makes martial arts fun as all get out.

DeeD likes this.
  5. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I read GSP's book (the way of the fight), and I think it was one of his trainers that said that GSP's strength was the ability to transition between striking, boxing, and grappling as if they already go together. Decent book, by the way.

MattCMMA and Caneman like this.
  6. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

Was looking for a new book to read on MA. Thank you! Found it used "from $12"...

MattCMMA and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  7. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Haha one of my best training mentors is like this as well, frustrating for both of us :ROFLMAO:

8. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

dont remind me :cautious:

9. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

what's with the power ranger suit?

Does Joe have a video talking about this back turning kick for clinches or for countering moves?
    It's a good way to get out of the clinch attacking or to get out of the way and counter kicks .. lots of knock outs in TKD with this kick..

I really like to force the clinch in the fights, since there's no grappling, to jump back and fire this backspin, it's great because it's really difficult to see it coming

10. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

That was a spinning SIDE kick....

11. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Nice spinning heel kick...