judo vs jujitsu

Discussion in 'Judo' started by steve didino, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

I have a close friend who is 4th Dan Jui Jitsu He has studied in Japan. He has taught me some of the nastiest techniques I have
    seen designed purely to disable or kill an opponent.
    I taught him some nasty Korean stuff too in Exchange ;)

2. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

How does he train that nasty stuff designed purely to disable or kill?

3. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

My aim in a self defence situation is not to get into position where i needed to grapple with my attacker.
    Keep contact to the minimum, Strikes and kicks on the right points and with sufficient are incredibly effective

steve didino likes this.
  4. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

endiku u speak sense respect to you

Enkidu likes this.
  5. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

fair comment

6. Enkidu

Okay, I get that... but I ask again... how do you train techniques designed to disable or kill?

I can spar with non-deadly techniques. I cannot spar with deadly ones.

Sherratt likes this.
  7. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

stirred up a hornets nest lol should have kept quiet

8. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

The way the techniques would be applied at full power and full striking power left me in no doubt you could do serious amount of damage.

steve didino likes this.
  9. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

endiku makes a lot of sense as usual

10. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

endiku i agree with you

11. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

i do judo for fitness and fun and self control not to hurt anyone

TheWhiteTiger likes this.
  12. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

Looking at this another way
    . I wouldn't show some of my students some of these things he showed me.
    Sparring requires control and discipline as we are all aware.
    Life threatening situations changes the perspective considerably.

13. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

i do martial arts for fun and fitness not to kill

14. Enkidu

I am sure they would do a lot of damage if they connected. But how do you develop skill that can actually be relied upon with techniques that cannot be used at full speed/strength in sparring? This is a serious question. I am not trying to be an ass here. I have a strong bias here that I admit against so-called "deadly" techniques. My bias comes from the fact that I believe fighting skill, real fighting skill requires a "bridge" between learning a technique and being able to use it in practical application. That "bridge" is hard sparring. My "bias" is that timing, distance, reaction speed, application in a dynamic and unscripted environment, etc. are developed in sparring in a way they can never be in training against a compliant partner or a bag or dummy.

As much as I have my bias (and that bias doesn't come from nowhere, it is based on years of experience), I am willing to hear an explanation of why deadly techniques that cannot be used in sparring can actually have real world effectiveness in a dynamic unscripted environment and how you train for that.

Sherratt, RJ Clark and TheWhiteTiger like this.
  15. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

My friend said his Japanese instructors were showing where these arts came from. The world was a lot more dangerous then.
    Bottom line,these fighting skills were used to kill and maim which is the basic truth of their origins

Aaron likes this.
  16. Ian White

Ian White Samurai

Lets be clear some of the things we know would have you disqualified on the competition mat

17. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Most arts are rooted some type of battlefield system; judo from jujitsu (bjj from judo), aikido from aikijitsu, iado from iajutsu, kendo from kenjutsu, karate-do even came from an okanawan battlefield art.. most of these arts where originally used primarly on the battlefields.

Some of these techniques have to be carefully if full speed is used.... It is never good destroying a training partners limb:rolleyes:

18. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I am shodan in Judo and JuJutsu. Expert is a relative term, but I certainly can count it as one of my strengths.

19. steve didino

steve didino Disciple

bows to you in respect

20. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Rei (bow) to you in return. Domo arigato (formal thank you).
    You can always keep it informal from now on, we're only on a forum not in the dojo.:)