Kata videos

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Films & Videos' started by Sneaker, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

There was videos in here but now I just added videos again ... Enjoy.
    What are your opinions on these katas ?

Impressive.

Could done better than that ?

Waste of time and energy but cool to watch but still unnecessary.

Tournament rules & judges should be very strict and keep traditional and creative moves completely separate ... I find it completely disgrace to combine these 2 together especially lower belt division ... The flipping yellow belt gymnast defeated strong solid moves green belt performer ... do you think that is fair ? ... It should be 3 completely separate types : traditional (like it was taught from the past, modified accepted), creative (create a scene moves) and freestyle (tradition vs creative).

Just curiosity what do you think and how it should be teaching/becoming like a true person (not just only true martial artist) ... IMHO: I like solid and clean moves and uplifting attitude that actually improves in real life, therefore not wasting time learning to get better and better ... for instance, like we don't walk around with rose colored glasses. No mystical magical chi bulls etc.

Like this one, She is having so much fun and very good for yellow belt (I say that she deserves her orange belt by unexpected surprise) :

3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Dang ! ... he is crisp & fast ... I noticed his footwork slip up slip back immediately ... attack then retreat ...

Now that is a very good demonstration :)

Jovan likes this.
  4. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

I think this is good for me to watch, because I always have problems with kata's, ( Pom See's. ) I Always take my steps too big or too short.

Sneaker likes this.
  5. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Facepalmed at the Austin Crain vid. I absolutely abhor Martial Arts 'tricking' and cannot count the amount of arguments I've had in the gymnasium with guys who practice this about how useless it is for an actual conflict (funnily enough none of em have ever taken me up on stepping on the mats for a friendly physical debate).

The blue belt was pretty much what you'd expect from someone that young (looked about 5-6?). However, the forward leaning and poor posture wouldn't have been allowed from the outset in my dojo and it looked very rushed (probably due to pressure on a youngster). Personally I wouldn't have put it at 5th (maybe 6th dependent on style) kyu. Closer to 7th kyu to honest.

Don't know Kankudai personally (we practice Chibana Kusanku). That was well performed though. Good focus, timing and strong kiai. I liked it. The kid's training focus is obviously on his kata and I wouldn't be surprised if he's winning championships as he grows.

One last thing, sorry to sound like a grammar nazi, especially since I don't know Japanese (yet). But the plural of kata is kata, not kata's.

Thanks for the vids!

Jovan and Sneaker like this.
  6. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Thank you and any more suggestions, feedbacks and/or opinions

I like what you said about the blue belt ... It makes more sense/undertanding :)

7. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Thank you :)

8. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

I share the same opinion, kata and other forms are ways of train your mind to a combat and to improve the skills. Those flips are just bullshit..I don't like them even in capoeira demonstrations.
    Actually this whole production with flashing lights, music, flips and posters is a ridiculous show off.