Katana Sword Fighting

Discussion in 'Video Instructional's' started by Sneaker, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

3. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Quick and short response for now.

I dunno what I was more horrified at, the hollywood-esque techniques or the fact that all the comments on the video are actually positive! All I'm saying is I'd like to see that guy do Tameshigiri. Pretty sure he'd break his sword.

-EDIT- Also pretty sure a mediocre Kendoka with a shinai would cave his skull in if he tried any of those tactics in any kind of face off (note I said Kendoka, not Kenjutsuka, I dread to think what would happen to him then).

4. Joey

Joey Martial arts is about building character

As a Kendoka currently at 6th Kyu, i say that guy's cuts are quite poor in some places, some of them would be counted as beginner level quality cuts, the fact that he doesn't follow through with his cuts shows no commitment to them, if he went up against a 1st kyu or 1st Dan and higher they would eat him alive, though he does make a few very well placed cuts

Void_Karateka likes this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Interesting posts and most likely I do agreed with you, Void & Joey ... what impress me is that "larry's hair" (in video on the right at 0:00) guy blocking really well ... sadly he did the "one arm reach" cut is rather weak or not working right.

6. Void_Karateka

It's interesting to note he's working left handed. I was always taught that the shinken is a right handed weapon (exceptions being using 2 swords such as in hyoho niten ichi ryu). And every one arm cut (if you can call it that) are piss poor, with no exceptions. He's just swinging his weapon like a club and don't even get me started on his stance, posture and taisabaki.

7. Dale

Dale Scholar of the martial arts

miyamoto musashi is rolling in his grave.

dmach and Sneaker like this.
  8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

miyamoto musashi is LAUGHING and rolling in his grave.

9. Dale

Dale Scholar of the martial arts

That's what I meant.

Sneaker likes this.
  10. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

OMG, his kamae is awful and one hand suihei makes me want to commit seppuku from watching it. I doubt a single one of his kesagiri would go through tatami.

11. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Here's an example of Tameshigiri I did a little while ago. New shinken I had just bought, was very sharp. I was practicing this cut and was finally able to nail it a month before this video was taken. Most of the cuts I saw from the guy in the video would not be able to go through a single rolled mat such as this:

Aaron, DeeD and Dave76 like this.
  12. Void_Karateka

Pardon the pun, but that was SHARP! And yeah he couldn't cut a single mat with any of those cuts.

What pisses me off most about his vid; he has students in there learning that same crap!

But again, amazing cut Battodoka. Top level stuff and a fantastic demonstration.

Battodoka07 likes this.
  13. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Thanks Void. It upsets me too that improper technique is taught and passed down. It does a disservice to martial artists in general when that happens and leads to the creation of McDojos.

Aaron and Sneaker like this.
  14. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Nice... Where did you pick up the new blade? if you don't mind my asking.

Battodoka07 likes this.
  15. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Got it here: http://www.newsamuraiart.com/id13.html. Musashi XL. Price increased a lot on it though so you might want to look somewhere else.

16. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

Never mind Kendoka/Kenjutsuka... I know any number of Reenactors that would make sushi of this guy!

Void_Karateka likes this.
  17. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

18. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

19. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

They call that good condition...
    It looks like someone grabbed the blade in areas with there bare hands and never cleaned it. Blade itself has some dings on the edge, can't tell if its recent from those picks, or if it was from actual combat, would have to see the edge straight on to tell... Its a shame that it wasn't properly taken care of, if it is that old, if properly would more than likely be worth more.

That seems pretty high for the a blade that appears to be not taken care of.

Sneaker likes this.
  20. Void_Karateka

That's definitely not a cutter that's for sure. Looks like some severe oxidization on the blade and nicks along the edge itself. It's knackered. I've seen and held swords from that era in perfect condition, there's no way I'd be buying that. I don't think you'd adequately be able to restore it either.

Sneaker likes this.
  21. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

I just sent the link to my friend who appraises swords. He did a few appraisal for the show pawn stars. Will let you guys know what he says.

DeeD and Sneaker like this.