Katana Sword Fighting

Discussion in 'Video Instructional's' started by Sneaker, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

Sneaker likes this.
  2. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Please tell me I'm not the only one who notices a non japanese character on one of the fittings???
    Also how is the signature so readable, I thought the smith usually chisels it into the blade, this one still looks shiney and is hundreds of years old... somethings not right.

Sneaker likes this.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Just looked again, clearly stamped numbers 5 and 4 on the tsuba's spacers, can't remember the terms, not worth the $80000 they want.

Sneaker likes this.
  4. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Just spotted that myself. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say the blade is genuine but poorly kept. All the koshirae probably doesn't belong to it. As for the makers signature I would say it probably didn't have one. That looks like someone's used a compressed airfed scribing tool to write on it. Then again I'm no expert when it comes to appraising antiques all I can do is compare that to something I have seen that is the genuine article. Either way I still wouldn't pay $80k for it.

Aaron and Sneaker like this.
  5. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Interesting wonder what he will say

Sneaker likes this.
  6. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

Sorry, but the video........ Eh? Like slap-playing with foam. I totally agree with everyone here.
    And if I'm not mistaken that "Edo period" sword looks an awful lot like a mass produced WWII Japanese military sword. The hole at the base of the handle seems like the place where there should be a lanyard ring. Not 100% sure, that's my first impression. And second.

Sneaker likes this.
  7. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

Could well be a Gunto judging by the koshirae. That said even some of those are still highly collectible (I think it's usually Meiji period ones) so that one potentially could have been something of the like. If that's the case it's definitely not Edo period at all and Gunto being a more recent item would hold much less value especially in the sorry condition that particular one is in.

Sneaker and Master of Nothing like this.
  8. Battodoka07

Battodoka07 Warrior Monk

It's a fake, especially with the Mei. And the guy using some Chinese terminology that raises a ton of red flags. It's a Gunto and looking at the condition probably not worth anymore than $1000. Anyways I'm off to Japan for 2 weeks, don't have to much fun here guys. :p

9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

wow thats crazy a fake, hopefully no one buys it

Master of Nothing likes this.
  10. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

That blade is still for sale on e-bay... Its only $9000, not $80000... Lol!
    Still too much for it.

Its now been marked as pre-1800, and original. If I remember correctly it was marked much older than that before... As for original, depends on when it was really made.