Kneeing The Heavy Bag

Discussion in 'Muay Thai' started by Kevin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

One of the things I picked up from doing Muay Thai in New Zealand and in Thailand was kneeing the heavy bag at the end of the class. You had to usually do 100 at the end of the class.

It's one of the best things to do to build up my fitness as you can just keep doing knees to failure. Over time you'll find your knees getting stronger and faster. I'm trying to build my fitness up just now so I did 100 knees yesterday on the bag. Today I did a 3 mile run before doing a small workout on the heavy bag. Despite being tired from my run, I did my 100 knees quicker and harder today. It's encouraging to see small improvements like this so quickly.

Once you get fitter, you can start bringing the knees higher. Here's a good example of this:

Is anyone else a fan of kneeing the heavy bag?

Kevin

3. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

i prefer to do all my knee elbow and kicks on trees with weights on

4. TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger Taoist Immortal

How did you get to that? Did you work up conditioning wise from a heavy bag to a tree? Or do you just not go full power for fear of injury? Or do you use protective clothing?

Robthestig likes this.
  5. shyquille graves

i was just saying i like knees to but no i dont wear protective anythigmy martial arts clan does not believe in that too much and i i get hurt i just suck it up and finish me reps and worry about it later i go from medium to high power depending on all my kicks i have to control my power when it comes to sparring though

6. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I knee the heavy bag every training session. I don't throw kicks, but I do throw knees.

7. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I'd love to see a video of someone kneeing a tree with weights on. I'd be concerned about injury. I don't see how it is better doing that compared to kneeing a heavy bag. I doubt you can put much force into the knee without injuring yourself.

8. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I know that a traditional way that Thai fighters in Thailand condition their shins is to kick bamboo trees, but I think even that method of training has fallen out of favor. From what I know, they use heavy bags now (and I've also heard that they will roll a coke bottle up and down their shins). I've never heard of kneeing a tree as part of traditional MT training.

9. shyquille graves

i do that to make my knees stronger im trying to discipline my mind when i do that to helps alot

10. shyquille graves

i put as much force my body can put out once body part go numb its pretty much ok after that thats on good ays though thats just the type of training i put my self throughmy instructors would say something if they thought i was going to far so far they are pourd of the way i train

11. Soulpatch

Soulpatch Initiate

We always work stations, kicks and punches, knees etc. Working the heavy bag with knees is a great exercise and something that we always do in our Shotokan dojo.

12. chris halkett

chris halkett Warrior Monk

Thanks kevin im gonna try these out right nw after my trainin

13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Yeah I use a heavy bag for practicing ALL my strikes even my knees. As I said before we have aHUGE black heavy bag in the gym which is solid:D!! The only problem I have with it is my bruised knees after a hard session on my bag:eek:!! As Endiku said Thai fighters used to condition their shins by kicking bannana trees and the likes, but I am sure some still do...I know of many who conditioned their shins this way, including me!! I don't suggest anyone tries it but I still deaden the nerves so to speak by rolling a glass bottle up and down my shins. ......Love, peace and respects to all XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

shyquille graves likes this.
  14. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I did see a few fighters kicking trees in Thailand but it certainly wasn't common place. I've never seen anyone doing knees though. I would have thought that it kneeing a tree full force would have just messed up your knee.

RJ Clark likes this.
  15. Bruce

Bruce Samurai

I couldn't resist putting this in!

Locutus and Deborah like this.
  16. Bruce

Bruce Samurai

and this one's for my bonnie wee lassie (lol)!

Deborah likes this.
  17. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

I think that hitting a tree with your knee is a broken patela waiting to happen...sorry.

Kicking a banana tree with your shin, that's fine but the patela floats and it is held in place by ligaments and tendons.

I guess I am not that much of a bad ass! But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night....

R

Kevin, TheWhiteTiger and Deborah like this.
  18. shyquille graves

i wouldnt say i was badass its just how i choose to condition my body

Deborah likes this.
  19. shyquille graves

i love that i use metal poles and wood too do that too

Deborah likes this.
  20. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

YEEEHHHAAA Bruce this is amaaaazing thanx so much for posting this it sure did make me smile, peace, love and respects my martial warrior friend XXxxxXX

21. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OMFG!!!! Bruce this is even better, a woman after my own heart:D!! It is sooooo refreshing to see a girl showing true warrior grit. It got my heart racing and I now have the desire to go over the park and attack some trees......then again they are all solid oak and pine, I maybe just stick to the glass bottles unless I can find a banana tree in Alexandria:rolleyes:.....All my love, peace n respects my great martial friend xxxXxxxXxxxXxxxAnd she ain't half bad looking either yum yum....ooooops I said too much again lol!!

TheWhiteTiger and Bruce like this.