Knife Drills, Please?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Daniel Miller, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Daniel Miller

Daniel Miller Warrior Instructor

Does anyone either know/know of any good knife drills? video would be much appreciated.

3. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

nope... they don't exist on any search engines or anything. You have to be well trained in slap jitsu before you can even attempt to try and search for them on the internet. Contact SifuGoogle to begin classes on slap jitsu. It will only cost you 25 easy payments of $29.91 USD.

Sneaker, Judah, Vldz and 2 others like this.
  4. Daniel Miller

i'm just wondering if anyone knows any good reliable ones, as opposed to spending hours sifting through stuff and trying out countless drills that are bull 'til i find a good one or three.

5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

6. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I would look at the krav maga disarms there are a lot of them available at the moment because of its popularity on youtube,many arts have disarms but the krav ones are all over youtube, Knife drills definitely something you need instruction in though with someone who is experienced

MattCMMA likes this.
  7. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I suggest the 100, 400, and 800 meter sprints.

Judah, The Little Lion, Red and 3 others like this.
  8. Daniel Miller

lol, i actually ran two of those in high school track.

9. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Then you already know 2 of the 3 best knife defense drills.

10. Daniel Miller

11. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Ah, MattCMMA definitely had me cracking up with his responses...
    Of course you should be training with good instructors. But that's not quite so easy to find when it comes to weapons training, in particular knives. To perhaps build a foundation for your blades skill set look for FMA drills and then get with some sparring partners with some good training knives that you can chalk/lipstick the edges. Cold Steel is a good choice at a reasonable price. If you later upgrade to false-edge/blunt metal trainers be extremely careful: contact with any hard surface whether the ground, other training weapons, etc could put burrs on the blade that can rip open your training partner.

Semper Gumby and DeeD like this.
  12. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Filipino arts are the best for knife fighting...start there. Kali, Escrima, etc. Dan Inosanto and others..

Semper Gumby and RJ Clark like this.
  13. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Also be wary of the cheap $15.00 blunt training knives; most of the cheap ones are just blanks that are not rounded off properly.

RJ Clark likes this.
  14. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

FMA is a good place to start; drills like sinwalli, hubud, and sambrada are a good start ( my spelling is probably off on all of these ).

As mentioned earlier try and find a reputable FMA instructor in Kali, Arnis, or Escrima. Most schools will start off with the stick and than transition over to knife; nice thing about FMA most of the skills are identical with the stick as they are with the knife and same empty hand. :)

RJ Clark likes this.
  15. BobbyTanks

BobbyTanks Initiate

what kind of knives did you have in mind?

16. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

Ginzu knives, of couse.

17. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Learn Eskrima or Kali.

You really don't want to mess around with knife. It is always better to not know at all rather than know the incorrect stuff.

18. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Learn Eskrima or Kali.

You really don't want to mess around with knife. It is always better to not know at all rather than know the incorrect stuff.

19. Michael Spivey

Michael Spivey Warrior Monk

I learned knife work in TSD and Santi style of the Toyama Ryu way back in the early 70's by using red water soluble markers as knifes and wearing white t-shirts. It also served to point out that one should expect to be cut defending oneself against sharp objects. In the late 70's when I was stationed at Moffett Field near San Jose CA, I had the opportunity to train at Dan Inosanto's school there, the suggestion to study FMA is a good one.

My TSD Master John Santiago was UDT when he was in the Canoe Club so the weapons work I was taught had mainly one purpose, and it served me well during my time in the military and as an armed civilian combatant.

Mr.Bond, Aaron and Locutus like this.
  20. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I think this is a great way of training at full speed

Just a question for interest sake, do you still train ? as your training was used for a particular purpose being in a military setting, now that assuming that part is over, do you still find the need to train or want to train.

We discuss often on this forum the martial vs art debate and someone being part of the martial part like yourself for so long would be interesting to have some insight onto your thoughts, if you dont mind :)

21. Gone

Gone Guest

FMA/AEK is shit.

Your typical bum/prison rush gets 99% of all jobs done, and it takes no training what so ever. Just hold the knife tightly in your hand, and keep it moving fast in many different directions all at once.