Lance Armstrong Going to Admit to Doping

Discussion in 'News' started by Kevin, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

For me, this is too little, too late.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21016122

US cyclist Lance Armstrong apologises to Livestrong staff

[​IMG]Armstrong ended his fight against doping charges last August but has maintained his innocence

Lance Armstrong has apologised to the staff at his Livestrong Foundation, amid reports that the US cyclist may admit doping in a TV interview.
    Armstrong made the personal apology during private conversations in Austin, Texas, a foundation spokeswoman said.
    His interview with Oprah Winfrey is due to be broadcast on Thursday.
    Armstrong, 41, was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles by the sport's governing body last year. He has maintained his innocence.
    "He had a private conversation with the staff, who have done the important work of the foundation for many years," Livestrong Foundation spokeswoman Katherine McLane was quoted as saying by Reuters.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

I'm calm, I'm at ease and ready to speak candidly”
    Lance Armstrong

"It was a very sincere and heartfelt expression of regret over any stress that they've suffered over the course of the last few years as a result of the media attention," she added.
    Armstrong, who also received a lifetime ban from governing body the International Cycling Union (UCI) and the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada), was reportedly close to tears.
    It was not quite a confession of sustained cheating, but that is what many in the cycling world and across America are expecting to hear when they tune in to the cyclist's interview on 17 January, the BBC's Paul Adams in Washington reports.
    The recording of the TV interview - his first since being stripped of his wins - took place on Monday.
    After recording the interview, Winfrey tweeted: "Just wrapped with@lancearmstrong. More than 2 1/2 hours . He came READY!"
    A spokeswoman for the Oprah show said last week that Armstrong was not being paid to appear and that Winfrey was free to ask him any question she wanted.
    The choice of America's favourite agony aunt to conduct the interview suggests that Armstrong is prepared to make some kind of confession, our correspondent says.
    At the weekend, Armstrong told the Associated Press: "I'm calm, I'm at ease and ready to speak candidly." He declined to go into further details.
    'Confession obstacles'
    Armstrong ended his fight against doping charges in August 2012.
    In October, Usada released a 1,000-page report saying he had been at the heart of "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme" ever seen in sport.
    Armstrong also later resigned as chairman of the Livestrong Foundation, the cancer charity he created.
    His lawyer, Tim Herman, has described the Usada report as a "one-sided hatchet job" and the cyclist himself has accused the agency of offering "corrupt inducements" to other riders to speak out against him.
    It is believed he is considering an admission because he wants to resume his athletic career, and has shown an interest in competing in triathlons.
    The BBC understands Armstrong has held recent discussions with other cyclists who have themselves confessed to doping.
    But there are a number of obstacles to a full confession.
    The New York Times has reported Armstrong's supporters are concerned he could face perjury charges if he confesses to using performance-enhancing drugs, because he made sworn testimony in a 2005 court case that he had never done so.
    In addition, the cyclist faces a number of legal cases.

shinpatan and Judah like this.
  3. Gone

Gone Guest

What the fuck does "dopping" even mean?

4. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Well let's put it this way, it does not mean that he was 1 of the 7 dwarfs, although you come quite close with that question.:ROFLMAO:

Either Google it or buy a dictionary.:D

5. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Are the Zen Do Kai like monks exiled from this planet?

6. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

He's now came clean about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21024288

Lance Armstrong 'doping confession' in Oprah interview

[​IMG]Lance Armstrong is said to be eyeing a return to his athletic career

Lance Armstrong admitted using performance-enhancing drugs in a TV interview to be shown on Thursday, sources have told US media.
    Last year the US Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) accused him of what it called "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme" the sport had ever seen.
    Armstrong, 41, has until now publicly maintained his innocence.
    He is now said to be discussing whether to testify against sport officials.
    Unnamed sources familiar with Armstrong's interview with US TV personality Oprah Winfrey, which was taped on Monday, told US newspapers including the New York Times, USA Today and the Associated Press news agency that he admitted doping during the exchange, which will be broadcast on Thursday.
    But according to the New York Times source, Armstrong denied the claim that he was the "kingpin" of the doping programme.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Lance could have a positive impact if he tells the truth on everything. He's got to be completely honest”
    Betsy AndreuArmstrong accuser and wife of former teammate

The alleged confession was made just hours after Armstrong apologised to staff at the Livestrong Foundation but stopped short of a full admission of guilt.
    Betsy Andreu, wife of former Armstrong teammate Frankie Andreu, was one of the first people to publicly accuse Armstrong of doping.
    She told AP news of Armstrong's confession was "very emotional and very sad".
    She added: "He used to be one of my husband's best friends and because he wouldn't go along with the doping, he got kicked to the side.
    "Lance could have a positive impact if he tells the truth on everything. He's got to be completely honest."
    Legal implications
    Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles, lost most of his sponsorships and was forced to leave Livestrong after the damningUsada report.
    Admitting doping might be a first step into trying to mitigate his lifetime ban from competition. He is also said to be planning to testify against powerful individuals in the world of cycling - though not other cyclists - he will claim knew about or facilitated the doping, sources said.
    But his admission of guilt would raise legal issues as well as further backlash from the cycling world and cancer community, in which Armstrong is a prominent figure as a cancer survivor.
    The New York Times has reported Armstrong's supporters are concerned he could face perjury charges if he confesses to using performance-enhancing drugs, because he testified in a 2005 court case that he had never done so.
    Former teammate Floyd Landis - who was stripped of his 2006 Tour de France title for doping - has filed a federal whistleblower lawsuit accusing Armstrong of defrauding the US Postal Service, which sponsored the team to the tune of more than $30m (£18.7m).
    The US Department of Justice is considering whether to join the lawsuit against him, reports say, and Armstrong's lawyers are said to be in negotiations to settle the suit.
    The UK's Sunday Times is already suing Armstrong for up to $1.6m over a libel payment to him in 2004 after the newspaper alleged he had cheated.
    And a Texan insurance company is pursuing Lance Armstrong for $11m over insured performance bonuses paid to the American after he claimed his fourth, fifth and sixth Tour de France victories.

7. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Means he was taking banned performance enhancing drugs/substances :)

And FYI it's spelled doping.... Only one "P"

Red Australian likes this.
  8. shinpatan

shinpatan Disciple

It's a shame that athletes, who are role models for our youth, resort to this sort of thing. Selfish and greedy...

Charlay Atkins likes this.
  9. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Yep, but personally he brought this on himself. Like Kevin said too little too late. Let's hope this sport recovers from this and allows the next honest generation to bring it where it rightly deserves to be.

10. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Not many heroes left ... in fact, the best ones are all fictional - that way they don't have any human weaknesses.

11. Gone

Gone Guest

Just me. I'm not very intelligent.

12. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Well, it's a shame, it would be more fun if they were... like the Tibetan monks :D

13. david m

david m Initiate

Three things I have that Lance Armstrong will never have again. 1. Integrity 2. Ability to participate in any sport amateur or professional. 3. Balls.:wideyed:

14. SifuPhil

Now they claim he lied to Oprah.

CRUCIFY HIM!!!!

:rolleyes:

He's also involved in a lawsuit for two of his books. The poor guy just can't get a break, it seems. One minute a mega-hero, the next something you spit on in the curb.

Makes me glad I'm not in the public spotlight. The public is a fickle mistress.

15. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Yeah you're right, but to be fair. He has lied so many times to try and cover his tracks, that now no matter what he does or says just isn't going to cut it. Also everyone was rooting for the guy when he was ill (cancer), so people naturally (kids especially) looked up to him for inspiration.

Then all of this came to a head and a massive bubble of lies, deceit, cheating and victimisation on his part to keep this quiet, came crashing down quite literally around him. He did bring this on himself and his family and that's the worst part, his kids are now going to suffer their dads mistakes.

I wonder how he is going to get himself out of the mess he has got himself into.

SifuPhil likes this.
  16. SifuPhil

I wonder too ... or even IF he will.

I have to admit I haven't followed the story too closely, in part because it's just another fallen hero but also because I'm tired of seeing them all fall.

17. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

The thing is he didn't fall, he slipped up in spectacular fashion. What I am about to say next is in no way saying that I agree with what he has done but.

As human beings, I feel that there is a big emphasis on succeeding in life (being number 1), regardless whether it be sports or in business. In sports it is obviously a given that cheating or taking banned substances will get you the wrong attention or give you a bad reputation. But what about the people that are so ruthless that they will do anything to succeed in life. I am not trying to compare the two. The observation that I am trying to get across is, are the two really that different.

I mean to the point it doesn't matter who you have to step on or stab in the back to get there, how is that considered or why do some people deem this as being acceptable.

Why are we so critical of some and not of others?

Just my thoughts people :)

SifuPhil likes this.
  18. SifuPhil

Well, you have to slip before you fall, right? ;)

I find it extremely difficult to live by the Taoist principle of "non-competitiveness" in this day and age, especially living where I do and doing what I do for a living. It's at least understandable that some personalities will rationalize ANY behavior to beat out the competition while others refuse to lower themselves.

I think part of the problem is the perception of "success" and the size of the rewards offered for succeeding. But as Mark 8:36 says,

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

The world is being offered to these people, and it takes an extremely strong self-discipline to refuse. I like to think of myself as a well-disciplined guy with morals and ethics and such, but if you dangled a multi-million dollar contract in front of my nose while beautiful women throw themselves at me and every one of my needs is instantly met, I'd be hard-pressed to say NO to anything I had to do to keep that.

Casablanca is seen as a classic movie, in part because of the selflessness of the anti-hero, Humphrey Bogart. He lets the love of his life go at the end of the movie because of his ethics and his innate morality. But in real life Rick would have jumped Ilsa's bones right there on the tarmac while whistling "La Marseillaise". Only Hollywood can convince us that the normal man can rise above such temptations.

This is why I don't blame most of the fallen heroes, because they WERE just human. It was our expectations, our Disney-esque love of happy endings, that caused them to do what they did, along with their normal human weaknesses.

It's when they hurt OTHERS that I have a problem with it, and admittedly "hurt" comes in a lot of different forms.

If I wrote a book about being the REAL first man on the moon, who would it hurt? Well, Neil Armstrong's memory, for one. But if that book gave me millions of dollars in royalties, I have to ask myself whether I would fight it very hard ... becuase who am I actually hurting?

But if I were a crooked investment banker that stole little old ladies' pension funds, THEN I couldn't live with myself, or at least I SHOULDN'T be able to.

It's all about the degree of damage wrought and your own expectations of yourself.