Latest info on Lloyd Irvin using SEO to redirect Rape Charges

Discussion in 'News' started by Charlay Atkins, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

I saw this today which I thought was absolutely disgusting. Is there no lengths that this guy will stoop too, just to save his own skin.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/9/42...-allegations-with-internet-marketing-trickery

inShare
    Scamworld, the amorphous coalition of Internet Marketers peddling meaningless business advice for outrageous amounts of money on the web, isn’t limited to Rush Limbaugh-endorsed multi-level marketers, or so-called gurus who bamboozle paraplegics out of life savings. It has also entered mixed martial arts training.
    Meet Lloyd Irvin.
    He’s the king of Scamworld MMA. Since January, he’s taken a search engine optimization campaign — designed, with the help of some of the biggest names in Scamworld, to rope in new "MMA Millionaires" — and redirected it toward a new purpose: disassociating himself from rape charges.

The campaign began in January, when he purchased lloydirvinrape.com (which advertised his free women’s self defense class). Due to the negative publicity this move generated, he pulled the page and issued a public apology almost immediately. That particular URL is still inactive, but as MMA site Bloody Elbow reports, the SEO scheme itself continues.
    Known internationally within the MMA community, Irvin is supposedly the first African American in the world to receive a 1st degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. In nearly 20 years of competition, he’s won national judo prizes, competed for Brazilian team championships, and generally established a reputation as a heavyweight badass: with his bare hands, he supposedly disarmed and chased away two gunmen who attempted to rob his family’s home.
    Irvin used that badass rep to build Team Lloyd Irvin, an MMA coaching school and affiliate program in Camp Springs, Maryland. Team Lloyd Irvin has helped to train a host of successful fighters over the years. As Irvin built that school, he also branched into Internet Marketing, associating himself with some of the biggest names in Scamworld. These include Ken McCarthy ("The System"), Dan Kennedy ("Think To Grow Rich"), and James Malinchak ("Millionaire Secrets Revealed").
    Irvin used their tactics to turn Team Lloyd Irvin into a hybrid MMA / Internet Marketing organization. For example, his Mixed Martial Arts Millionaires training program claims that he can teach you to attract "50 to 100 new students per month" in the lucrative field of MMA training. According to one testimonial on the site, you "literally robbed yourself of well over $100,000 in the next year alone" if you missed this money-making seminar.

Irvin avoided a conviction in the 1989 rape case

On New Year’s Eve, two of Irvin’s male students were charged with raping one of his female students. Irvin wasn’t involved in the incident but the charges made headlines in local media. The MMA community took notice. By January 10, Brent Brookhouse at Bloody Elbow (part of SB Nation, itself a sister site of The Verge) was publicly asking questions about a 1989 case involving a 21-year-old Lloyd Irvin charged with participating in a brutal gang rape.
    Irvin avoided a conviction in the 1989 case. A local news article at the time said "Irvin was saved by the fact that the jury believed he was impotent when it was his turn" to rape the victim; Irvin testified that he "wanted to have intercourse with her but couldn’t."
    Irvin purchased lloydirvinrape.com on January 10.
    After Brookhouse reported the URL purchase, Irvin issued a public apology.
    "Why did I buy and put up the website url that I purchased and put rape prevention seminar information on it shortly after all the news broke regarding New Years Eve?" he asked rhetorically in a mixedmartialarts.com post. His answer, verbatim:

For this I can do nothing other than apologize 100%. I was wrong. The timing was horrible and I completely dropped the ball. The long and short of it was this... The reason I purchased the url was singular. I didn’t like the tone and tenor of things online (but still felt I could not speak publicly about anything) and I simply didn’t want someone else in control of the name my Son and I share in association with the current or 1989 situation. Beyond that my intention was honorable but the execution and timing were awful As everyone can see, the moment I realized this,, it was taken down...

February was particularly bad for Irvin. Schools that once praised him and his MMA Millionaires scheme cut ties with the man and his organizations. Well known MMA fighters accused Irvin of participating in "cultish" behavior. More groups severed ties, and then a student mass exodus ensued after one of his former female students said Irvin would "instruct her to do sexually inappropriate things with him .... [re-affirming] his instructions with things like ‘I thought you said you wanted to be a world champion, and you said you would do anything I tell you to do without hesitation.’"
    Jordon Schultz, one of Irvin’s "internet assassins," also jumped ship, revealing what anyone in Scamworld might’ve already gleaned: the decision to train with Irvin was, for some, just as much about learning scammy Internet Marketing strategies as it was martial arts training.

All of this alone and the fact he was nearly convicted of a previous gang rape should hopefully put any 1 off for ever having to with him. All I can say here is WHAT A SCUM BAG.

I have not posted the full story, if you wish to read it please follow the link provided.

3. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

It's funny that you post this now, because I've been delving into "Scamworld" for the last few weeks. What I've found so far both affirms and denies the profile that The Verge paints.

Yes, there are sharks in the industry; anytime you sell something to somebody you run a risk of deceit and fraud. People are and always have been gullible - they believe the rags-to-riches stories because they WANT to, they NEED to. But there are also many honest and honorable salespeople in the game, so to paint ALL Internet Marketers as cheats is in my opinion an exaggeration.

I'm working on a personal development site right now that would focus on the sale of ebooks, video, audio and other such materials in the human potential / human development fields such as hypnosis, NLP, positive thinking, etc. Yes, these fields are open to trickery but there are also legitimate practitioners.

To bring people to my site will involve SEO, certainly; list building, of course; mailings and offers, positively. Nothing wrong with giving people WHO HAVE EXPRESSED AN INTEREST more information.

The same thing applies to the martial arts world. I remember when NAPMA first came on the scene; one the things that made me want to join them was the promise that they "weren't like the rest". I admit it - I fell for it. I quit a short time later because I didn't see the value in the material I had received, but here's the hook: for some people, that material was GOLD. They took it and ran with it and made huge successes of themselves.

As for the pushy marketing tactics, high-priced seminars and cult-like behavior of many of the members? They weren't my style, but for a few they worked out great. Nothing criminal in that. But there IS a line that should never be crossed, between legal and illegal, moral and immoral, ethical and unethical. I don't think NAPMA ever crossed that line, just as I believe that most IM'ers do not. It's just the 1% that are sharks that give the entire field a bad name.

I'll certainly agree that what Irvin did with the domain names was oily in the extreme - even if it truly wasn't his intention, he should have had the common sense to realize what the APPEARANCE of them would develop into.

4. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

Exactly the APPEARANCE is what caught my eye, a lot of people will find this insensitive and callous. Also that he is trying to make money off the back of someone else's unfortunate events, whether he was involved or aware of it at the time in my book is irrelevant. The fact that he was also nearly convicted of a rape offence would tell me or should tell any one to stay well away from this guy.

In this particular news article he openly admits in court under oath that he was going to commit the act but couldn't due to physically unable to perform. However he was not convicted of the offence, sorry for me that don't cut it, personally he should have had his naughty bits (tug toner) smashed with a hammer.

Also the domain names that was mentioned he apologises for doing it and then continues to purchase more. People seriously need to give this guy a wide birth.

SifuPhil likes this.
  5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

He used this tactic before and apologized for it, or at least said it was in poor taste. Now he's doing it again. He's done with, at least in the BJJ community. Nobody wants anything to do with him. He will still probably make it off his internet marketing and such. But the loads of money he pulled dealing with BJJ schools and marketing seminars are toast.

SifuPhil and Charlay Atkins like this.
  6. Charlay Atkins

Charlay Atkins Samurai

That's good to hear, but I would like to see this guy finished off completely, by that I mean I wouldn't like to see him succeed at anything he tries to do in the future. Total scum in my book. Sorry this may be somewhat harsh for some people, but I really have no ethics where low life's like him are concerned.

7. No more BSK...Thomayo...if you call me the first,ur withou Honor..

8. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

[​IMG]

9. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Big Ass Dog

To bring people to my site will involve SEO, certainly; list building, of course; mailings and offers, positively. Nothing wrong with giving people WHO HAVE EXPRESSED AN INTEREST more information.

This ^^^^ is what a business has and must do to market their goods and services today, I do that for businesses all the time. Capture pages, landing pages, Text Marketing, Mobile friendly web sites etc.