Learning martial art through videos.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by KamikazeUqaab, Oct 3, 2016.

1. KamikazeUqaab

KamikazeUqaab Initiate

Hi, I started learning martial art two days ago, I joined club but it teaches Japanese karate and there is no way I can learn Korean taekwondo, which I wanted to learn, without moving to other place.
    So here are some question I want to ask.
    1) can learn on your own through videos being completely beginner.
    2) after learning karate can you learn taekwindo self.
    3) is Emma complete martial art (does it teach everything from other arts like every types of kicks from taekwondo or just practical kicks like roundhouse) and same for grappling.
    I am interested in taekwondo for its kicking and agility.

3. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Initiate

Can you really learn to become proficient at any physical activity through a video?

KamikazeUqaab likes this.
  4. KamikazeUqaab

KamikazeUqaab Initiate

Well, not by just watching. I can not satisfy my hunger by just watching at food.
    I learnt football moves through videos and some of parlour movements too but in both things you are not opposed with intention of your destruction. In football your opponent focus on ball and in parlour no opposition to your movements by an intelligence being.
    That's why I am asking to you people who are more experienced than me.
    By the way I am learning a style of karate through an instructor.

Sent from my Karbonn A2+ using Tapatalk

5. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

To be honest, I recommend focusing on your first hand instruction before expanding to another system. Once you have experience and proficiency in one system, you'll be able to analyze techniques from other styles, and even pick up on a few things from videos (although not every fine point). If you have just started Karate, then give yourself some time to build a foundation.
    That being said, I will say the some of the coordinate and fortification exercises can be done, without interfering with your foundation in Karate. Flexibility for starters, mainly the hamstring. Also because of the kicking execution differents between Karate and Taekwondo, I would suggest making sure you have strong ankles. Do this by common ankle raises on stairs, so you also have the flexibilty to ground yourself on your heels, also walk everywhere at home on your balls of your feet, as high as your can. Start with those two while doing knee raises & marches to build the hip flexer muscles. Balance that with stretches like deep front stances, Yoga's Upward Dog/Cobra/Sphinx postures and hurtle/lunge style hip flexer stretches. Loosening hips would start with hulahoop type rotations and raise knee cirlces from the inside-to-outside and outside-to-inside. Remeber to include back stretching. A lot of Taekwondo kicking uses the back as well, plus it's good for your Karate techniques and just good in general.
    I think once you have taken the time to get up to the Advanced ranks in your Karate (2nd or 1st Kyu) or 1st Dan, at that point you will be able to work on Basic Techniques of another art. Remember it is not just regurgitating physical performance, it's understanding the finer points of technique that actually build true proficiency. So, do some fortifying and flexibility exercises, but focus on your Karate instructor first. Even if it take a few years (yes Y-e-a-r-s).

6. KamikazeUqaab

KamikazeUqaab Initiate

Thank You.

Sent from my Karbonn A2+ using Tapatalk

7. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

I think you would be able to start learning some fundamentals and would be able to get your fitness up to a decent level by using video instruction but to really get the most benefit you would need someone who would be able to see what you are doing and then help to correct technique. This happens daily with everything from throwing a punch in the beginning to throwing that particular punch in a combination or in a fight. There are adjustments in martial arts constantly much like in life. To be better versions of ourselves we need constant improvement and tweaking. It helps to have someone that has the knowledge and the experience to get the most out of you

All the best on your martial arts journey

8. KamikazeUqaab

KamikazeUqaab Initiate

Thank You

I would rather feel pain than nothing at all.

9. GoldDan

GoldDan Founder of Neo-Bokator, supreme master Dan.

Yes, if you do it in sparring. However, you can't just do anything in sparring without knowing a little bit about it, for safety reasons, if you do low-kicks in sparring you must know about how you can stay safe, there are some pretty nasty injuries that can come from kicking somebodies leg at a certain angle, google "unhappy triad". Especially grappling, you will need softer matts, you can't just judo throw a resisting opponent flat on their back on a hard surface, you will get injuries. Don't get me started on submissions, you really need to be carefull with those, do a lot of research. It is a lot of work if you're without a teacher who has been around the block and learned his lessons a few times, because you're basicly rediscovering the wheel. But I know some very legit people who started out that way, they did boxing and judo because that was what they had, then they learned the kicks from the internet. My one tips is to put safety first, research injuries, get the right protective equipment, do touch sparring and work your way up, you can talk to me about it in here.

So this is my answer to your quesitons:

1) The short answer is yes
    2) Yes, general Choi made taekwondo, his background was in shotokan Karate.
    3)Emma? You mean mma? MMA is just mixed martial arts, the fighters bring what they have

I teach Neo-Bokator, it is a system I have made myself from wrestling, bjj, taekwondo, karate, kickboxing, muay thai and judo. It is MMA, if you were here I'd teach you the kicks, because I run a McDojo and my own martial art, we can do what we want. We don't have to prepare for competition, I only have to prepare for the challengers whos wallets are about to get a lot thinner, because I am pretty much invalidating the belts, it is their merchandise, purchased approval around your waist. Me putting on a gold belt and running my own martial art represents inflation.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  10. Anthony Davis

Anthony Davis Initiate

I agree it's going to be tough for a beginner to learn on their own through videos. But since you are learning through an instructor, adding videos will definitely give a boost to your learning curve. Since you are interested in learning through videos, you can check out these dvds at http://www.martialartsmart.com/dvd-video.html

11. Jack-Bjj-Kungfu

Jack-Bjj-Kungfu Initiate

Working through video can be effective but you need to have al lot of discipline to really learn it well and correct.
    http://www.shintairyu.com also offers many dvd video courses

12. Arun Kumar Saha

Arun Kumar Saha Initiate

I'd say the most powerful thing is the intention, yes you can learn through videos but it needs to be verified or if you can find someone who is willing to train with you, you will find a lot more things that you will miss on videos. A lot of impossible things do happen when we wish to reach our goals as bad as we want to breathe. Good Luck!!