low kicks southpaw vs orthodox

Discussion in 'Muay Thai' started by Ryan J, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Ryan J

Ryan J Initiate

Hey guys just a quick question for the more experienced muay Thai trainers out there. I train and spar as a southpaw because I'm left handed and obviously when sparring with orthodox fighters cannot use my power leg for low kicks to the outside of the lead leg of my opponents. I understand I can throw inside leg kicks but feel they do not have the same power or do as much damage and I am also wary of hitting opponents low. I also understand that with a stretch you can low kick the back leg on the outside but doesn't that leave you even more open to the already dangerous big right straight that southpaws dread? I've scoured the internet looking for tips on this issue but have yet to find anything any tips or suggestions offered by you guys would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ryan

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I am far from being experienced in Muay Thai (my striking training is in boxing), but I have sparred occasionally with MT fighters to get better at defending against kicks from you sneaky leg-kicking bastards (the first time I sparred against a MT fighter it took exactly one solid thigh kick for me to end the sparring session and I was limping around for a week).

Anyway, seems to me that an answer to this conundrum would be to throw a combination starting with a jab, cross, low kick. The key, it would seem to me, is that when you throw the cross, you switch your feet briefly, or step forward with your back leg so you are briefly in an orthodox stance to be able to deliver the power kick to the outside of the leg.

I would be interested to hear what others have to contribute to this thread that have significantly more MT experience than me (and who actually use kicks when sparring, since I don't).

4. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

It would be the same problem that an orthodox fighter would have with a southpaw just in reverse, I agree with you about kicking your opponent low it happens often when attacking the inside of the front leg, Ive always found if going for the inside leg step diagonally ouside of the left foot of your orthodox striker with downward chopping action just above the knee using more foot at this range rather than shin to keep distance

when going for the back leg on the outside, as Enkidu said you would need to set up the strike, The way I like to set it up would be in your case a right front kick off the front leg as you land into a jab and then bang the leg kick in off your left while keeping your left hand up obviously, or if going for the outside of the front leg you would need to either walk step or switch to get into the right position as Enkidu said above, switch step is very effective if you are fast enough definately something that needs to be practiced often, Walk step could be easier depending on your experience , so cross(walk step) jab round house, the cross will just be a distraction to move into position

does this help ?

Enkidu likes this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Is it that they don't have as much power or are they lacking in effect (damage)? Inside leg kicks are inherently painful/effective even when delivering a "speed" kick rather than a power kick. Are you telegraphing the kick or throwing it by itself? You may feel like you're throwing it in a jab-cross-kick combo, but what may be happening is a jab-cross, kick (very little difference, but it does matter). I always envision my foot is being pulled by my elbow, so that it snaps forward as part of the combo rather than being delivered in the heartbeat after I throw my cross. Watch yourself in a mirror to see if that's happening or have someone specifically look for that tendency.

If your kick is powerful and being thrown in combination with the hands but not having the desired effect then perhaps you need to adjust your centerline in relation to your opponent. Centerline is a vert line bisecting the body from between the eyes straight down. Still applies even when someone is bladed off. If you're off their centerline too much to the outside (or even slightly depending on how you snap your kicks around) then you may be hitting them more toward the front of their leg. (I commonly will "turn into" a kick to set up a devastating counter since it hardly hurts to take a kick in the front of the leg) If you set yourself up at least lead-foot to lead-foot with your opponent you could then really dig in with the inside leg kick and cause some good damage and pain.

Of course this is all just speculation without actually seeing what you're doing or sparring with you. Hopefully someone hits exactly what you need for advice.(y)

Mr.Bond likes this.
  6. Ryan J

Ryan J Initiate

Thank you guys I have a lot to think about now, can't wait until my next training session to try some things out. I also find that whereas with an outside leg kick you can turn your hips up and out and strike downwards with an inside (as far as my experience goes) you have to strike either upwards or horizontal to the inside of the thigh,can't really get the hang of it. Anyway thanks for the advice keep them coming if there's anything more to add!

7. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Ok my MT training was a few weeks at a place in Bangkok but I am still a "sneaky leg kicking bastard" as Enkidu put it. I've got a couple of suggestions for you, first is try kicking with your lead leg but step to your left as you do it, that'll add power to the weaker kick. My other suggestion is if you want to kick the outside of the rear leg bend your supporting leg as that will lower your body and keep your head out of reach of a straight right it'll also give you a little more range. Other than that I think switching stance briefly so your right leg becomes your rear leg is a good idea but as the others have said, distract your opponent with a swift punch combo first.

Enkidu likes this.
  8. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I always knew you were a sneaky bastard, Judah.

Judah likes this.
  9. Vldz

Vldz Warrior Monk

Don't spend too much time trying to get that big smack in.

Power is relative, hit from the outside (kick with your right/front foot) to the outside (back/side of the knee) of his left/front leg.

Even small round house should be good to take him down.

If the opponent is bigger, in my experience, get from the outside with my knee beside his knee, and take out his knee with the rotation of my body.

My point is simple: I personally always try to get my knee cap pointing at the side of my opponent's knee from the outside. The worst come to worst, if we "crash", he is going to the ground.

Judah likes this.
  10. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

The reason the inside isn't as effective as the outside kick is that you will be hitting the abductor/hamstring as opposed to the quad muscle. The quad is responsible for bearing your weight, as well as for power for kicks, and the hamstring is mostly for chambering and re-chambering the leg, and helps with power for hook and wheel kicks. Mostly it is about having to deal with the pain of the leg kick every time you step. Also, you will feel less power on a successful inside leg kick because the leg will 'give' a bit more in that direction. A well placed kick to the outside when our opponent has his weight on it has no give, it is all impact to the muscle.

Here is one option, not sure if you need legal Muay Thai moves or not. Last month I sparred a guy named Rick Reaves, he is a former IFL fighter. I fight is southpaw stance about 60% of the time and hit with right leg side kicks and spinning back kicks. He countered by throwing choppy side kicks to my leg, above the knee, and he would do combos where he could switch step in the middle of them and throw a leg level kick with his left. He tried coming in a few times close and hard with his right leg, but he never got a solid blow, I had enough time to defend with that telegraphed kick.

If it was me, though, I would focus more on getting into position for your hook punch, with constant stepping to the right to get on the outside of his kicks and to be able to deliver more power with less chance of being blocked. If you feel the need for leg kicks, every time you deliver a combo or technique that would leave your left leg forward, throw the right leg kick to the leg to put your stance back to southpaw.

Vldz likes this.
  11. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Also the tensor facia latae which is right on the outer side of the thigh. Can hurt like a mutha fuka and even deaden or numb the keg do you can't stand on it. I've seen people carried out of MT rings from outside leg kicks due to that. :)

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  12. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Ryan, you mentioned the straight right southpaws dread. It's the same the other way round, orthodox fighters don't like straight lefts, and we're less used to fighting southpaws. My only loss in boxing was to a southpaw who kept hitting me with straight lefts. Vldz has good advice telling you to keep your knee on the outside of your opponent. Puts you in the perfect position to fire that straight left and keeps you away from his right.

13. Gone

Gone Guest

Knee cap him. No knees. No kicking.

Vldz likes this.
  14. Julian

Julian Initiate

Love martial art

15. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Spam much?