Martial Arts Films You Shouldn't Love But You Do

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Films & Videos' started by Kevin, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I've loved martial arts films my whole life but there's no getting away from the fact that there are some truly awful martial arts films out there. Cheesy and cliche storylines are pretty much standard for martial arts films though I don't mind if the choreography of the fights are good.

There are films that I feel that I shouldn't like though - but I do. One example is Kung Fu Hustle. It's aimed more towards kids but I still enjoyed it as some of the fight scenes were great (despite being far fetched).

Are there any films that are cheesy, childish or just downright bad that you still love?

Kevin

Blade Maker and Deborah like this.
  3. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I too, have always shared a love for Martial Arts films....especially ANY Bruce Lee pic!! Although I am now loving Tony Jaa also, he is excitingly different!! A legend in the making, me thinks Kev!! xxXXxx

4. MadoreGojuRyu

MadoreGojuRyu Master

I grew up watching the saturday morning kung fu movies and sunday afternoon samurai movies. I even remember at 5 my father taking to a movie theater on Friday nights that showed a kung fu movie at midnight and very cheap movie ticket. My favorites are anything with Toshiro Mifune, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen. So I love my serious martial arts movies but I love the funny ones also and Jackie Chan is brilliant with blending the two, he has fun with his movies and fight scenes but doesnt dumb down the movies. And just for the record, Kung Fu hustle was great and so was Shoalin soccer...

Blade Maker and Deborah like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah. Tony Jaa is already a legend. Do doubt about that.

Good to see another Donnie Yen fan here. He's one of the most accomplished martial artists in film today. When I was young it was all Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and (through my Dad) Chuck Norris.

Deborah likes this.
  6. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Yeah, me too Kev! They are who I grew up with too..... from Bruce Lee to Chuck Norris!;) Still to this day I am an avid fan of them all!!XxX

Blade Maker likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Initiate

Kung Pow! Absolutely terrible, but I can't help but laugh every time.

Blade Maker, Ben, dmach and 1 other person like this.
  8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I am well impressed with your quotes, Justin......I love ya bro`xxx

Justin likes this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I'm with you 100%. The cow fight scene is hilarious.

Justin and Deborah like this.
  10. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Ooooft, Kev! This makes me truly smile.:D

Justin likes this.
  11. robcond

robcond Initiate

Also Shaolin Soccer, and as much as I love Bruce Lee, watching Game Of Death is torturous. I dont mean the real Bruce scenes but all the fill in footage

Ben and Deborah like this.
  12. robcond

robcond Initiate

Deborah likes this.
  13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

well, sadly it was because he had died that they had to use fill in footage...:(Xx with respect my friend Xx

14. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Wow Robcond, I can't believe I hadn't seen this!! I LOOOOVE IT!! Especially the scenes with Dan Innosanto! My Master Guro. Thankyou so very much for sharing, I'm buzzing now!:D XXxxXX All my respects...

15. angie828

angie828 Disciple

I have always loved Bruce Lee. You just can not get any better than him. I have watched my fair share of these films as well. I have yet to see Kung Fu Hustle, but I look forward to watching the fight scenes in it.

Deborah likes this.
  16. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hooray another Bruce Lee fan, all respects Angie :DXXxxXX

17. robcond

robcond Initiate

I would also have to include the Shaw Brothers Library, the period films especially with Gordon Liu

Deborah likes this.
  18. robcond

robcond Initiate

Deborah likes this.
  19. robcond

robcond Initiate

In fact right now I am watching Ip Man 2

Deborah likes this.
  20. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Cool, my new found friend...I appreciate the link as I'm sure many others will too;), peace and respectsXxX

21. Ben

Ben Master

Kung Pow is a fantastic movie! I love it so much! It takes the piss out of basically ANY Wu Xia film that is in existance! A favourite of me and my sister! :D

Deborah likes this.