Martial Arts Films You Shouldn't Love But You Do

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Films & Videos' started by Kevin, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Ben

Ben Master

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Don't get me wrong its an enjoyable film, but the dialogue is cheesy, the plot falls apart at the end leaving you feeling like ..."wtf just happened there?" and the people flying is, rather then impressive, just funny :p But the acting is great, the visual effects are done well, the weapon designs are accurate and beautiful, and the fight scenes are amazingly choreographed.

Deborah likes this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

I quite like some of the Chinese martial arts films that use wire work....though they are usually more about a love story than martial arts (whereas most martial arts films have no story but lots of action). I remember me telling my instructor that I enjoyed Hero and he came back and said that it was the biggest piece of crap he had ever seen haha. Each to their own I guess.

Deborah likes this.
  3. Ed Bates

Ed Bates Guest

Sorry to offend anyone, but "StreetFighter" with Van Damme is the WORST of any movies starring a martial artist!

Deborah likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Chris Klein in 'Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li' is even worse. He's so bad it's actually quite funny.

Deborah likes this.
  5. Ed Bates

Ed Bates Guest

That's true
    the chicks are hot...That's why I watched it...Twice.

Deborah likes this.
  6. KeithW

KeithW "Just keep training..."

You, sir, have apparently never seen "No Retreat No Surrender" starring Van Damme as the antagonist in the film. Bad acting doesn't begin to describe the brutality of this film...

My personal embarrassing faves are the Sho Kosugi ninja films of the 80's. They're so bad they're good. Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, Ninja III The Domination, Pray for Death, Rage of Honor (which is REALLY bad), and Nine Deaths of the Ninja are particularly worth mentioning. Honorable mention goes to Black Eagle (with Van Damme).

Deborah likes this.
  7. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

OMG!! I had forgotten about No Retreat No surrender! Looooove it hahahahaha! Remember Kick Boxer by JCVD??? I just loved the scene where Tiger PO (Ithink that was his name!! Anyhoo the scene where he is Thai kicking the concrete post, I remember trying it after watching the film, all I can say to that is IT BLOOMIN' HURT!!:eek:

8. Ed Bates

Ed Bates Guest

WOW! I blocked No Retreat out of my memory! Thanks for brining it back...... I think.

Kevin and Deborah like this.
  9. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Me too I thought the girls were hot, but sadly I watched it once more than you Ed....love, respects and laughter:DXXXxxXXX

10. Blade Maker

Blade Maker Master

the first time i saw that movie i laughed until i made myself sick....

Deborah likes this.
  11. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Hahahahahahahaaaa....nice!! Respects Ian xXx

12. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

Some great groaners here. I always love when Kung-Fu Hustle shows up on TV.

The "American Ninja" franchise was one of those that were so bad they were good.

One of the worst/best movies I've ever seen - and I hope Deborah can forgive me for including this one - is The Dragon Lives Again. Now this was made a short time after Bruce Lee's death so there's a huge element of disrespect in this movie, as it isn't just about Bruce or an actor portraying Bruce - no.

It's about Bruce Lee in Hell.

Shortly after arriving in Hell Bruce meets Popeye (yeah ... Popeye!), Clint Eastwood, James Bond and Kwai Chang Caine (David Carradine from Kung Fu - even more disrespect!). There are jokes about him being adulterous, he beats up Dracula (!) - if you can ever get your hands on this film and can get past the disrespect you'll laugh yourself unconscious.(Note: You can watch the whole movie on YouTube - look it up).

Here's the trailer. Note I didn't mention the corpse-boner that Bruce is sporting - it turns out to be his nunchaku ...

I saw this first-run, again in Times Square in NYC. I spilled my popcorn and spit out my soda so many times during this movie I'm surprised I wasn't banned from the theater. o_O

Blade Maker and Deborah like this.
  13. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Mmmmm, you may well have to get on your knees Phil:D!! but OMFG I shall have to see this movie all my love, laughter and respects my favourite verbal sparring partner XXxxXX

14. shotogaz

shotogaz Disciple

It was Tong Po Debs, ugly guy with a platted ponytail.
    Blimey, this has took me back, anyone remember... "The Last Dragon" ... with Bruce Leeroy!
    I quite recently downloaded these films for my 7yr old son to watch, he absolutly loves both No retreat No surrender, and The Last Dragon, he's watched them both several times now but has never asked to watch a van damne film again,
    I liked the first 2 American ninja films but on recent viewing im not sure why?
    I loved Enter the Ninja and wanted to run out and become a ninja after that one, again, after watching it recently it really is quite bad!
    You have to admire jackie chan!... for his stunt work alone!!!
    i really enjoyed Dragon... the bruce lee story
    And i Love watching Bruce Lee in action, but unfortunately find his films very dated nowadays! maybe they should do big hollywood remakes of them! who could be the man?

Deborah likes this.
  15. Derek

Derek Disciple

Donnie Yen is the heir to Bruce Lee throne!

16. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

"At that moment, the Chosen One learned a valuable lesson about Iron Claws... THEY HURT LIKE CRAP MAN!!"

Dave76, Deborah and Ben like this.
  17. Ben

Ben Master

Beware his song about big buts...HE BEATS YOU UP WHILE HE PLAYS IT!

18. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

Uuuuuft I may ge ugly Gaz, but I have a good peronality Hahahaa!! I looooove Bruce Lee with a passion! Dunno who would play him though, but whoever would have to be hot:D!! Respects and peace my martial warrior xXxXx

shotogaz likes this.
  19. shotogaz

shotogaz Disciple

Hahaha, you have a wonderfully personality!!! And I don't believe your ugly, unfortunately I can't confirm the ugly bit, as I can't make out your pic very well, I first thought you were in squating position with leggings pulled halfway down! I can't tell you what I originally thought you was doing! Please tell me they're long socks! X

20. shotogaz

shotogaz Disciple

Who's he??? One of your students?

Deborah likes this.