Mayweather & Pacquiao Top The Highest Paid Sports Star List

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Kevin, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Mayweather and Pacman both topping the highest paid sports star list. Suppose this really shouldn't come as a surprise considering they only fight on pay per view.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/18504482

1 Floyd Mayweather $85m (£54.25m)
    2 Manny Pacquiao $62m (£39.57m)
    3 Tiger Woods $59.4m (£37.92m)
    4 LeBron James $53m (£33.84m)
    5 Roger Federer $52.7m (£33.64)
    6 Kobe Bryant $52.3m (£33.38m)
    7 Phil Mickelson $47.8m (£30.51m)
    8 David Beckham $46m (£29.36m)
    9 Cristiano Ronaldo $42.5m (£27.10m)
    10 Peyton Manning $42.4m (£27.06m)

Would love to see some MMA fighters move higher up the list over the next 5 years. Some of the top UFC guys are making millions but, like boxing, the lower ranking guys don't make much. Apparently Ian McCall made less than $10K for his last fight and he headlined it. Not much when you take into account trainers, living costs for a few months etc.
    Kevin

Deborah likes this.
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

I am shocked that a soccer player isn't in the top 5! I mean, I only watch it once every 4 years during the World Cup, but it is the world's most popular sport. I also thought that there might be a Formula 1 driver in that list (agains, I don't care, but it is popular elsewhere in the world).

Do you know if that list includes endorsements? It must include something because I know for a fact that Peyton's contract with the Broncos is in the neighborhood of $18m per year.

Deborah likes this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Football players do get paid a lot. The English Premiership pays ridiculous amounts to players. According to this article(written last year), the average salary for a premiership player is
    £1.16million a year. Bear in mind that the figure is the average amount. You would expect top players to be well paid but there are a lot of poor/average players picking up millions a year.

This article states that Lionel Messi made
    £27.5m in 2012, Beckham made
    £26.2m and Ronaldo made
    £24.3m. I assume the list on the BBC website places Beckham higher due to sponsorship deals etc. There's actually quite a lot of footballers in Europe making more than
    £20m a year. Some of the top clubs pay £250,000 a week to players. It's bonkers.

F1 is popular worldwide. Lewis Hamilton didn't make the top ten but made £11.3m. I assume most of Tigers earnings came from sponsors and video game tie ins.

Deborah likes this.
  5. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

It looks like I am in the wrong line of work.......I never realised they got such an amount!! Love, peace and smiles my fellow Scottish warrior XXxxXX

6. Joe

Joe Disciple

Yea, it does. It is all they earnt though endorsements, sponsorship etc.

It is still insane to see how much they make.

I would love to see some MMA fighters up there, they deserve it as much as the next sport. Just need to wait until it gets bigger. After all, this sport is still in it's infancy. So it has plenty of time to mature and grow.

Kevin and Deborah like this.
  7. Derek

Derek Disciple

I only got paid 200.00 for my kicboxing bouts inthe 80s.times have changed.

Deborah likes this.
  8. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

How times have changed since then.....respects my warrior friend xXx

Derek likes this.
  9. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Low-level MMA fighters in local shows were only getting about $200 to show and $200 to win just a few years ago.

Deborah likes this.
  10. Derek

Derek Disciple

MMA fighters now get about 3,ooo to show and 3,ooo to win.Not bad for a days work...but id want to fight at least 3 times a month.

Deborah likes this.
  11. Deborah

Deborah Ninja

I could be your manager Derek and steal all the money from you all my love,peace and respects my martial friend!! XXxxXX

12. MarkBlack

MarkBlack Initiate

do you have an ebay store?