Metamoris 3: Eddie Bravo VS Royler Gracie (Official Countdown)

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu' started by MattCMMA, Mar 25, 2014.

1. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Metamoris 3 the rematch! Eddie bravo vs Royler Gracie..
    This is the rematch from ADCC 2003.. it's finally here. Who do you grappling fans got? Royler or Eddie?

*Their first match.

Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  3. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I'm going with Eddie to sneak in a choke at about four minutes in while Royler is trying to figure out how to extract himself from one of Bravo's lockdown entanglements.(y)

MattCMMA likes this.
  4. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I'm kinda an Eddie Bravo fanboy, so I am going with him. Not that I don't have respect for Royler, however!

RJ Clark and MattCMMA like this.
  5. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

SO PUMPED! Being a practitioner of 10th PlanetJJ.. well of course you know who I'm rooting for. Though I'm more excited that no-gi BJJ is getting some mainstream attention.
    Here a post left by Eddie yesterday

Dave76, Eric Dufurrena and RJ Clark like this.
  6. Eric Dufurrena

Keenan is pretty bad-ass, for sure! Watched some of his matches, he is wicked. I trained under his dad for a while in TKD, Tom Callos.

MattCMMA likes this.
  7. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

It's always bugged me that some people say Eddie's win was a fluke. How can something you train for, for so long and so hard be a fluke?
    Gracie underestimated Bravo and he got caught, as simple as that.
    Even if Gracie wins definitively this time, it still doesn't take away Bravo's win from '03. It's about who wins on the day.
    In '03 that was Bravo, this time it might be Gracie or Bravo....on the day.
    Their both legends of the art now. I'm just looking forward to a really great match up.
    And yes, I'm hoping the win goes Eddie's way.

Babalu vs Dean Lister should make for a great match also.

And of course I always like watching the Mendes Bros doing their thing.

MattCMMA likes this.
  8. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

[​IMG]
    Tom Carbone from 10p Rochester and Kevin Reed from 10p Bethlehem.

9. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

Another interesting thing from this thread quotes by Eddie

Dave76 and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  10. Dave76

All that carry on was what definitively swayed my desire to see Eddie take the win. I wasn't super fussed before, mainly because of all the hype and spin in the media, but Gracie made it very easy to pick who I want to see win with pulling that crap.
    If he wins now because of some technique that uses pulling on Eddie's pants......trilogy anyone?

11. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

[​IMG]
    RJ called it first. I introduce to you all, the electric chair

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    RJ Clark and Eric Dufurrena like this.
  12. Eric Dufurrena

It's funny that Royler was supposedly so keen on Bravo wearing Gi, when he himself did not....

13. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

while it lasts... bravo also looks to setup a neck crank/twister, goes for a calf slicer, as well a vaporizer.

Dave76 likes this.
  14. MattCMMA

MattCMMA Master

If you look towards the end... Royler is holding the pant leg of the pants[which was allowed], which saves him from an even deeper submission. Also though the gi pants helped Eddie tremendously. his lockdown on Royler's right leg was vice grip like.

Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  15. Dave76

Bravo was obviously to much of a gentleman to take Royler's ankle off. No doubt in my mind he could have done it, even if Royler didn't tap, it would have left no doubt, to those that actually think that that was a draw.
    Almost complete domination by Bravo the entire 20min.
    Don't think the calf slicer would of ever got the job done against an old school Gracie, they just don't tap to that sort of thing when it's this important to them.
    I think Bravo actually let the legend walk away with his pride somewhat intact. He knew he had that ankle.
    Bravo to Mr.Bravo for the good sportsmanship. Haters will hate, doubters will doubt, but there was no doubt in my mind who won that fight.

So, how many people you reckon are going to be ripping out that 'electric chair' at comps the world over by next week?:LOL:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  16. Dave76

I'd say he was regretting that insistence on Eddie wearing the pants........oh, I don't know, say about 5 sec into the match.:LOL:

P.S - I'm definitely taking on board that foot positioning of Eddie's to maintain the control over Royler's leg.
    Left over the their leg above the knee and right over your left for a triangle lock and then under their leg for the hook.

EDIT- the 'Grapevine' so I've now been informed.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Eric Dufurrena likes this.
  17. Eric Dufurrena

Isn't that leg lock where Eddie sets up most of his twister submissions? I need to get better at that, he was able to use it to keep Royler from passing him by extending his leg out and pulling him down. Maybe I am biased, but I think Bravo won.

18. Eric Dufurrena

Yes, and sweat was not a lubricant for Royler! In the end, I think it ended up being in Bravo's favor.

19. Eric Dufurrena

Plus Cornelius won!

20. Dave76

21. Dave76