mind bogling

Discussion in 'Tai Chi' started by NWPSNZ, Jul 21, 2012.

1. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

Is it just me or does anyone else find the Tai Ji training extremely hard on the brain? i get motivated to do some practice and can only really give it a good go for half to an hour before my mind starts to fry and i end up making basic mistakes with it and forgetting things? i think it's because there is just so much to think about with Tai Ji.. every little part of the body has to be in the right place or its wrong. there is not just about right.. its either right or its wrong. then there is the energy movement as well on top of that. anyone else find this same sorta thing? any tips on how to avoid the brain fry?

SifuPhil likes this.
  3. DharkAwakening

DharkAwakening Grasshoppa

Of Course it is :) It's often touted as being a 'Masters' style - that is, persons who have already mastered (and that's very objective as well as subjective) another (assumed to be Chinese-) style are Qualified to understand, practice, & apply Taiji.
    Learn it, Live it, Love it :)

SifuPhil likes this.
  4. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

yeah i'm still at the movement learning stage. its also the fact that we go from learning kung fu to tai chi..... completely different. as i keep being told "less kung fu more tai chi" when practising it

5. TKCHIDO

TKCHIDO Initiate

try relaxing and clear your mind. dont concentrate on what you have been taught, you already know it. just relax and let your body flow. Taiji is a moving meditation so relax it will come.

6. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

yeah with the stuff i already know thats all good.. but i live half of new zealand away from anyone that knows any more then i do to teach me knew stuff so at the moment i'm teaching myself through vidoes of others that i see once or twice a year... thats why it's frying my brain so much :) but i do know what you mean

7. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

heh thats why its so hard for me to be motivated to do it... vids are hard to study and learn from and then when you do there are slight things you pick up wrong and are corrected when someone see's it (again once or twice a year) so i have to reteach myself... oh well my fault for moving this far away :)

8. TKCHIDO

TKCHIDO Initiate

im in the same boat. i learnt most of the movements from an instructor but the rest i have to learn from video. there are no classes around where i live for yang style. keep trying it gets easier. let your body guide you to what feels right and then study like crazy when you get to your teachers again lol

9. Aaron Hutto

Aaron Hutto Master

I remember studying traditional Chinese martial arts. My teacher would always say "less less less". Less strong. Less thinking. When it hurts, relax don't tense. I am sure these are things that you have already heard.

10. Sensei Martin

Sensei Martin Warrior Monk

Yes, there seems to be a complexity is Chinese Kung Fu.

I recall for my first dan, I had to memorize Tiger-Crane .... it has some 288 major moves. After I memorized it, and it became beyond thought, it flowed rather well. 2 months later the memorization was lost, lol.

11. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

the one i'm trying to learn at the moment is 108 steps. luckly its broken down into 3 "stations" i'm about 2/3rds the way through the 2nd one at the moment... and yes i have learnt the bit i'm doing at the moment ages ago and not practiced it so i have to retrain.

one of the worst things about it is you can forget the simplist little step and it completely throws you off

12. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

Yang style? i'm learning the 108 step yang style at the moment then moving onto 108 step zhao bao style and hsing yi form

13. TKCHIDO

TKCHIDO Initiate

Yang Cheng Fu 108 and old yang style Yang Lu-Chan. Old yang style is more aggressive than Yang Cheng Fu

14. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

I've lost count of the number of my students whose heads simply exploded one day all over the wood floor.

... it always makes me smile. :D

Kevin, Aaron, TKCHIDO and 1 other person like this.
  15. MATTAO

MATTAO Initiate

In the death metal scene they call the brain hurt from too much information Heavy. along these lines when your tai chi gets heavy your head starts to act simalar to a mental defective, your eyes start to leak and your chi raises to your head and can cause hot chi problems. to combat this stay calm and work basic lines and practice them like roll back, and press, or roll back, and push, and relize that you can do every tai chi technique in this single sided frame like karate sparring with tow show. Then you can work changing sides and relize there is only 2 ways you can switch sides, eaither under the arm, or over it. and that large roll back is just you and your opponent waltzing around the eight trigrams and emmiting is only trying to push from the center with out haveing to go there, and you will have an easier time" Than you will find you like the heavy because it becomes easy after a while. Kung Fu "Hard Work" haveing the skills of hard work makes it eaiser work over time...

16. NWPSNZ

NWPSNZ Disciple

i'm sorry but that didn't make much sense to me... what do you mean by "roll back and press and roll back and push"?

17. TKCHIDO

TKCHIDO Initiate

Sorry this doesn't make much sense to me either... chi should never raise to your head it should always be circulating the body. the principles of yin yang movements draw in and expel chi so there should never be such a build up when the form is practiced correctly

NWPSNZ likes this.
  18. TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger Taoist Immortal

Roll back and press / push are common names for 3 of the 8 physical energies in Taiji. (I say 'physical energies' because they correspond with actual techniques based on movement and leverage. The '8 energies' might be better thought of as the eight essential principles which underlie specific techniques).

All the 'chi rising to the head' stuff aside, I think he's saying that when you focus too much on absorbing new information you get a mental fog. You should focus on letting your body remain relaxed in tui shou to absorb the techniques and principles until it can express them without mental work.

TKCHIDO and Sensei Martin like this.
  19. SifuPhil

Actually, microcosmic orbit demands that you circulate qi through the head (bai-hui point) between the Governing and Conception channels ...

TheWhiteTiger and TKCHIDO like this.
  20. TheWhiteTiger

TheWhiteTiger Taoist Immortal

I thought about discussing this but since they were discussing Taiji specifically as a martial art rather than taoist chi kung, decided to omit it. Likewise I omitted chi kung sickness from the discussion, but (as you know, no doubt) it's a well known phenomena in TCMA.

SifuPhil likes this.
  21. SifuPhil

Excellent point - thank you!

TheWhiteTiger likes this.