Mind.

Discussion in 'Self Defense' started by Jovan, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Everytime I am in a situation that I have to defend my self, I can't think clear.. I forget everything I learn in Martial Arts and I almost get a black out, when I 'get my mind back' the fight is almost over.. Can I train this?

2. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Yes you can, but I ask you, are you constantly attacked in a way that you have to fight for your life?

3. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

I add this into my class curriculum. It's all about recognition. It revolves around the stages of adrenaline. Per the norm, one has 3 stages of adrenal release. Depending on the threat at hand, depends on which stage you will get first. For instance, You see a couple of guys walking your direction. Due to their actions or verbal slurs they "might" pose a threat. Stage 1. Next they make eye contact with you and start to discuss their course of action. Stage 2. You get the idea. On the other hand, You are waking and round a corner to be surprised by said assailants. There was no precursor to this encounter. You would receive an "adrenal dump". All and everything at once. Adrenaline is the bodies suit of armor. It is primarily used to protect the one thing that if damaged in combat cannot be quickly overcome, your bones.
    It is your brain telling your body to "suit up" and perpare for battle. The brain sends a single to your adrenal glands, depending on the threat level, and tells them to release adrenaline into your muscle system. This tenses up your muscles. Doing so making it less susceptible to skeletal damage.
    This is also why you feel "slower" in a real fit as opposed to in the dojo. Your muscles are tighter with adrenaline. Adrenaline will or can also make you feel nauseous. It can give you what we term as "tunnel hearing". You can be on top of your attacker beating him, your friend screaming at you, "The cops are here!!!!" You will never hear your friend. One more thing. Especially after an adrenal dump, it will give you the shakes. So, when you are suddenly confronted by attackers, you're not shaking because you're scared, it's just adrenaline. In short, Just recognize it for what it is. Once you understand what it is and where it's coming from, it puts you one step closer to getting beyond it's limitations.
    Your body and brain going through proper procedures is just that. Things happen internally makes things happen in a fast forward manner. This in turn will affect your thinking process. Your "blackouts" will happen. Recognize, acknowledge and work with it, not against it.
    Be well my friend

Pedro and Jovan like this.
  5. i've never been into poetry, but that line of kiplings : if you can keep you head when all around are losing theirs........'bout sums it up.........how do some people stay cool?.....my own take is, train as diligently as you can ,learn as much as you can....go that little bit further in your understanding of martial arts than the rest of the students (after all, we are all students no matter how long we have been endeavoring)and try to have confidence in YOURSELF and YOUR abilities....NOT over confidence but self belief.....then try to compartmentalise things.....be (in a particular situation) aware of "now" and not what if?........we are all born the same , why should this ......twat that is starting trouble be superior in combat than you?...it may be he is , but, any trained ,fit and knowledgeable martial arts guy is unlikely to be out picking fights, much more likely is that it's a thug that is used to beating up on people and is so used to it that they appear to get into violent mode with ease. thus , seeming calm with their violence. don't think, do........i hope i have explained my thoughts, it may not come across as i have tried to make it, but compartmentalise things.....loads of other guys write on this forum and i am sure they may be a little clearer than moi, good luck.:)

6. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Well, not really for my life.

7. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Yes, I recognize everything you said.. but how hard I try, I can't controll my adrenaline and my mind..

8. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Warrior Monk

Correct. You can't control your adrenaline. But to recognize its affects and the effects of it, this is your first step to gaining control over how to use it.

Jovan and DeeD like this.