MMA progression

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by GoldDan, Dec 25, 2017.

1. GoldDan

GoldDan Founder of Neo-Bokator, supreme master Dan.

So, I am running my little Neo-Bokator martial arts gym. Wich is actually an MMA gym disguised as a traditional martial arts gym. I pretty much have to make up stuff as I go. I've been winging it for a couple of years now, awarding belts as I see fit. But I think it is time to create a teaching guide for my senior students and clear demands on display. Maybe like a poster of what I expect every belt colour to be able to do.

I hope some of you have experience with judo, wrestling and other real martial arts, that can say if I am missing anything crucial here.

First year to white belt:

The six basic punches, straight, straight, hook, hook, uppercut, uppercut.
    The six basic kicks, front, front, round, round, side, side.
    Wave away the straight punches, cover for the hooks and pat down uppercuts.
    Wipe away the front kicks, muay thai block round kicks, pat down sidekicks.

Pummeling in the clinch, while moving back and forth.
    Clinch wrestling, getting and keeping both hands inside cupped around the neck.
    Fall technique, foreward, sideways, backwards, roll.
    Penetration step single leg. pentration step double leg. And sprawl with hips to the floor.
    Hip-throw(ogoshi), school yard tackle(o soto gari) and clinch throw(sasae tsuri-komi ashi)

Be somewhat understanding of guard, mount, sidecontrol. Have one pass, one sweep, an escape from mount and sidecontrol. Find hand positioning for Kimura, Americana, straight armlock and arm triangle. Understand how blood choke works, understand how shoulder kimura/americana as a lock. The direction it is making the joint go.

White belt to yellow belt:

Six elbows corresponding to the six basic punches. So it is the same direction of power.
    Upward sambo headbutt, Spear knee, roundhouse knee, low-kicks and checks.
    Head movement and making angles. Clinch entry.

Know how to throw elbows in clinch(muay thai). How to headbutt in clinch(myanmar lethwei).

Standing throws:
    Rear waist drag, side waist drag, firemans carry, scissor leg, lift and topple, arm drag to inside heel hook.

Understand guard, mount, sidecontrol, back mount. Understand posturing in relation to rubber guard. Understand armbar as a lock. Understand the triangle choke. Know rear naked choke. Know omoplata.
  3. GoldDan

The difference between the beginner and white belt:

A beginner doesn't know if this is for them. They need a lot of care, they have no defence of any kind. They are still and insecure in sparring, just along for the ride. They cannot even drill, because they have no techniques to drill with. They need basics and lots of repetitions.

Maybe after a month, they can sparr and roll a little.

Try to touch the opponent with a jab and a front kick. Maybe some roundhouse kicks and a cross punch. But the hooks and uppercuts are just a mess. They don't have the control for doing a sidekick. They can take shots in their guard, sometimes blocks, but they can't do headmovement and steps back without creating angles.

When they roll they hold on for dear life. Try to postpone getting submitted as much as possible. They don't know when they are getting cranked with can opener, or how litttle pressure a heel hook needs. They don't know the difference between a blood choke and strangling. They don't know how to even open the guard. If they might be able to pull guard.

A whitebelt is getting in cross and hooks, they use combinations like one-two and a kick, a kick and a different kick, some punches and then kick them away. They tank most punches in their guard, but feel comfortable enough to atempt blocking. Sparring is still uncomfortable, but they are okay with it as long as it isn't too hard and fast. Their headmovement is bad, but they can step back and create an angel to break the attackers direction. They can get dominant position on someone who has never rolled before. They shadowbox with sprawl and penetration step.

They somewhat know what happens standing apart and when clinching. But they have no idea of how to get from one to the other. They would probably atempt passing someone who is on their back while leaning foreward, thus get kicked in the head.

The biggest difference between a non-belt and a white belt is that the whitebelt is ready to start learning. While the non-ranked person is totally unprepared. A white belt can do pads training, he can block a series of punches. He can do ogoshi, get into sidecontrol, then lock the shoulder, if you say that to someone who has just begun they don't know what you mean.
  4. GoldDan

The difference between white and yellow belt:

The main difference between a white and a yellow belt is that the whitebelt shows potential, while the yellowbelt is actually starting to pull things off. A yellow belt might occasionally counter, break the attack direction by waving away a straight punch. He would probably not only get dominant position, but also submit someone who has no experience with grappling. And the fact that they are pulling stuff off means that they are ready to learn new things. Since he is used to blocking the hook, he can begin to add a headmovement to his reflex, soon he will be rolling under the hooks. So a color belt is someone who is beyond initiated, he has begun.

A yellow belt also feints. There is a beginning to tactics and understanding there, that the whitebelt doesn't yet possess. The yellow belt can threaten the americana to move into a better armbar position. He will threaten the omoplata to triangle combination. He can make the opponent posture to get the sweep. A white belt is more of a one trick pony, they go to sidecontrol and start looking for the shoulder lock, they bridge when mounted. White belts do not sit properly when doing armbar from the mount, they create no stability in their positions because they forget it. A yellow belt remember most of the ingrediences on the ground work, but forgets one detail that unravels it all. A white belts armbar is doomed at the get go, a yellowbelt keeps it tight, until he forgets something, the knot loosens and you can just roll out of it.