Muay Thai coaching license/ceritificate

Discussion in 'Muay Thai' started by NativeWarrior, Jan 23, 2014.

1. NativeWarrior

NativeWarrior Enlightened Human Being

Hey guys, my father mentioned when he learned Muay Thai, his instructor gave him a coaching license. He never told me how exactly he got it other than winning a few pro fights and being in Muay Thai for years on end. I've looked online about it, but it just seems like a joke when I look it up. Is there an actual license or coaching certificate? And if there is, how do I obtain it? Thanks.

3. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

I presume its the same as Western Boxing, there is no grading system in Wrestling, Boxing or Muay Thai. Just the amount of fights and years of training you have.

Many have "created" a grading syllabus to give students something to work with, I know Grandmaster Sken has a grading system.

There are Bodies who give/award "licences" to individuals but i'm sure they are only recognised within that Governing Body (money in the pot).

I wouldn't let it bother you as I'm sure he's skilled enough to warrant this.

I have an uncle "claiming" to be a 4th Dan in Jujitsu because he won a title BUT cannot show any of his certificates etc. and no Governing body is aware of any "Champions" with his name (I checked all of them related to Jujitsu).he used to claim 4th Dan TaeKwonDo but now he just says he is only a 2nd Dan.

4. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

What your father earned sounds better than some boilerplate generic cert from some "official" governing body (are there any that aren't just a "money in the pot" to be "granted/earn" recognition?). It appears that your father's instructor personally vouched for his ability as a fighter and a coach/instructor. This is a deeper form of recognition and respect as it links your Dad directly to his instructor and that coach's lineage (which probably encompasses his family as well). It would favorably compare to a shodan or greater promotion.
    Personally, I would automatically assume ability and look at that "coaching license" with more esteem at face value than any black belt. I know he's been in the fire throughout his career, whereas I've seen too many "black belts" who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag. I'm not disparaging or belittling all martial arts that incorporate the modern rank structure. But when someone says "I'm a black belt in X, Y, and/or Z..." My reply is essentially "Mmm okay. Me too. Now show me what you can do..." I'll follow fundamental etiquette, but true respect is earned and based on merit.

Aaron, DeeD, Eric Dufurrena and 2 others like this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

if you (with no fear/doubt/or know it will work) trained someone properly who listen to you with huge respect and faith that made him/her succeed in many fights ... you don't need the license ... ... I dont know about Mike Tyson's Trainer but here what I found "Cus had a brief career as an amateur boxer, boxing as a featherweight and lightweight, but was unable to get a professional license because of an eye injury he had suffered in a street fight ... He took Tyson under his wing and adopted him after Tyson's mother died. D'Amato trained him over the next few years, encouraging Tyson to use the peek-a-boo approach style of boxing, where the hands are placed in front of the boxers face for more protection."

6. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Our Muay Thai coach uses a belt system, but not with any formal grading's, similar to BJJ I guess, one night after training you'll get called up and there you go. As for himself I don't know that he has any 'official' ranking, I just know that he has 32 pro fights with a 24-7-1 record in Muay Thai , a 16-8 pro fight record in MMA and holds a purple belt in BJJ with several state and a national title. (Yes, I did have to check his FB page for those stats:p)

When I first started at the club I did ask about belts in Muay Thai, as I'd certainly never heard of it before, he just simply said that, it's just easier for him and for new students with no MA background, to get their head around, short term goals, with tangible results they can see and hold in their hands, etc...
    As we've said on a few threads now, people come in expecting a checklist of do X,Y and Z and now your a yellow belt....on to the next, etc. So I can understand why he found it easier to just put something in place to fill this need modern society seems to have.

Any doubts I had were soon forgotten after some hard sparring with him and perhaps even more importantly from a students point of view, after hearing him articulate ideas and concepts to people in a very 'user friendly' way. He's actually a really good teacher, the fact that he can and will, back it up as full contact as you care to go, just had me smiling and nodding to myself, thinking " All right! Good stuff, let's go!"

RJ Clark, Eric Dufurrena and Sneaker like this.
  7. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I like this ... and dont get too rough:blackeye:

8. Eric Dufurrena

Eric Dufurrena The Iron Fist of Fun

I'm not too concerned about the skill level of a teacher, as opposed to his actual knowledge and ability to get that knowledge effectively into his students. In general, though, someone who is good will be a better teacher than someone who is not, right? So I say check the students, see how THEY are!

Dave76, Sneaker and RJ Clark like this.
  9. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Some western Muay thai schools have a belt system that they use but like the others mentioned this would be within a particular organisation, the thais do things differently as Kuyaken mentioned akin to boxing , where many of the coaches are ex fighters so it is more about the gym and its stable of fighters than having a piece of paper etc that says you are certified because there is such an emphasis on fighting in muay thai it is easy to see over time who has the better coach, many of these fighters can fight 2-3 times a month so lots of opportunity to see about coaching ability when all your students are fighting all the time.

there are no official licences unless within an western organisation, for instance part of our organisation leaders go through annually to train with a particular coach and his gym in Thailand , he then would give them his blessing to coach kinda scenario if that makes sense

high five ;) all about application

10. Void_Karateka

Void_Karateka Pauper Karateka

I'd love to give MT a try. Don't really know where I'd begin finding a decent coach near me (lucky enough to have found my Okinawan Koryu). How do you guys normally go about finding a decent coach/gym (especially especially UK based)?

As for your dad, if he can walk the walk (and I'd assume training and coaching for years he more than probably can) then I wouldn't even worry about 'certification'. In all martial arts you can fall on one of 2 sides of a fence: those that care about rank and status and those that care about training and results. Easy to find pictures of a bunch of out of touch, jumped up, egotistical (I can carry on all day) 'masters' at 'seminars' with famous brand name faces. It's hard to find anyone who couldn't give a damn and has spent their time actually training and refining what they know.

So I wouldn't worry if he holds a shiny gold leafed cert or sacred bandana or whatever, if you can learn from him, do so. Enjoy and treasure it.

Sneaker, Kuyaken and RJ Clark like this.
  11. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

IM me your Exact location and email I'll send see if I can give you some good Gyms

12. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

I will definitely choose with this "those that care about training and results" over "those that care about rank and status"

13. shyquille graves

shyquille graves Warrior Monk

amen to that