Need advice on my ITF taekwondo patterns

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussions' started by kmh220982, Apr 19, 2016.

1. kmh220982

kmh220982 Initiate

I am a 1st degree and trying to improve my patterns which are very jumpy and all over the place. Not entirely sure what's wrong with them, they just don't look very sharp. I have tried slowing down, using more sine wave, then using less sine wave, slightly making my chambering bigger, then smaller, using more force., trying to relax more in between moves... nothing seems to change the way they look. Any tips?

3. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Initiate

Break them down and drill the multiple armed and unarmed applications of each pose and posture, the once you have that understanding, try doing the hyung again.

Master of Nothing likes this.
  4. kmh220982

kmh220982 Initiate

Thank you!

5. Master of Nothing

Master of Nothing Psychotic Pacifist

This is great advice. I'd even take it a step further and breakdown the individual techniques to the base operating mechanics. An example would be the braking down to the punch in its chamber, travel, impact snap of the fist, and recoil when applicable. Doing so for all the techniques will improve your Hyung as well as your Sparring and Fighting application

MI_martialist likes this.
  6. kmh220982

kmh220982 Initiate

Thank you!