NEW Martial Arts video on Youtube

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Films & Videos' started by Kalo81, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

Hi Guys if you have time take a look to this video at link below and let me know what do you think .

Regards

Judah likes this.
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

He should include some clips of him in competition.

Sherratt, Judah and RJ Clark like this.
  4. The10man

The10man Disciple

Nice promotional video, but I'm not necessarily impressed. I could make a similar video very easily. The nunchaku part appeared forced, perhaps even untrained. As Enkidu said I'd like to see competition not just moves against a passive, perhaps even cooperative uke. I don't know the person in the video, but I don't think he is anything special based solely on the video.

Pedro, Sherratt and RJ Clark like this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

As a fighter I'm not impressed, but if I was making a movie I might give him a call. This may not be the best representation for experienced fighters and martial artists to look at, but it would draw in starry-eyed newbies to train under him. I look at that thinking how badly I would victimize him as a boxer and a grappler. But again, perhaps the core of his teaching isn't so Hollywood flashy and is more focused on practical, so I don't want to completely eviscerate him based on one video.

Enkidu likes this.
  6. Ieuan Walker

Ieuan Walker Grasshoppa

Seems a bit flash, he's flexible, reasonably fast, and really good at hitting people compliant for the purpose of demonstration, but that's all i got from it. As everyone else said, let's see him in competition.

mcdojo.jpg

7. dmach

dmach Martial Archivest

This is a better demo of someones ability. Pity it could get him charged!!!

8. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

Thank you guys for seeing this video that i've created for my master. Well this is not a fighting video just promotional .
    Yes my Master won more international titles in karate ( you may find some info about him on www.facebook.com/dirausopietro )
    best regards guys

9. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

yes he is very fast my friend but i'm his student so you can no believe me but he is teaching kicks to more fighters in ronin fc italia.

yes Master Nunchaku were not trained. i just want put his nunchaku because was the first time he did (hat nunchaku was mine ;) )

10. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

I think it is awfully hard to capture someone's skills in a video promo... but there is some good stuff in there.
    I would swing the clips to focus on his speed, and get any old clips, or stills from the International titles he won.

I would never put in clips where he has to pull his strikes, like on the finishing spin hooks. The general public won't understand the "pull"... so your choice is to get those clips with breaks, or dummies, or someone being pulverized in a redman suit... or actual competition.

Enkidu and Judah like this.
  11. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

yes it's difficult and i'm not a good filmaker caneman...thanks a lot for the comment :) i had his video of 2004 about kumite international but quality video is too slow-

12. Judah

Judah fights in tights

It was fun to watch but as everyone has said unless we can see some actual competition footage we can't judge his actual fighting skill. As a promo I think that's all it really lacks. Other than that I liked it. :)

Kalo81 likes this.
  13. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

Agree with you , Thank you Judah :)

Judah likes this.
  14. RJ Clark

I think that should be the focus as well. If there is fight footage incorporate it no matter the quality. I scanned the FB link and all I'm seeing is flashy kicks (read that as high and fast but without power) that might be good for point sparring/fighting as long as there's no grappling allowed or movie choreography (that includes demos of kicks with guys having on redman type headgear) and techniques that fit in parkour better than fighting. Perhaps some of the kung fu crew here can weigh in on the uke demos for his hand techniques as that's about all that I'm seeing as practical within it's limited spectrum of use.

Judah likes this.
  15. Dagon Akujin

Dagon Akujin Jimmy Rustler

Oh, lord, these WT guys.

First off, I tend to find there to be a problem if what you have to offer people is based on being faster, more athletic, etc. (Could a 40 year old woman do any of that?). That's the "important" stuff you should be training others to do. Everything, everything in there is a show of athleticism. That's cool and all, but it's not as impressive as a loopkicker demo. Because loopkickers are freaking awesome.

As for the _ing _un stuff shown, and there really isn't much, but what is there goes over-the-top, avoids pressing into structure, etc. It's still athletic and showy, which gets away from the "important" stuff in my opinion. I'll check each spot little by little:

0:15-- Fast but without structural dominance (they are already set-up however).
    0:30-- Overtop reach that is grabbing a posture already given away. Meh. This is simply taking advantage of a situation given to you.
    0:40-- Speedy overtop chops but no structural movement.
    0:47-- Why is the uke's posture and position frozen?
    0:49-- The stepping looks okay, but there is no movement of centerline on account of strikes. It almost looks like he is giving little pushes backwards or something. Not really sure, but the arms are out at the start of it anyway (why would any uke in this situation have his arms stretched out that way?). Uke should be trying to cover on center and sinking into the "hits".
    0:51-- We are already at the end of the set-up, where the uke is already turned off, posture broken.
    0:55-- Could be lower and utilize structure more (this is always the case though).
    1:13-- Used structure. Okay (though too short to really see anything).
    1:15-- These little smacks don't mean much. They don't move centerline or structure.
    1:18-- I think this is the most important point of _ing _un in the video... and standing up on the toe, and getting out of structure, is the exact opposite of what is supposed to happen here because you LOSE striking power standing out of the stance that way. To sink is the more important (and harder) way to do this.
    1:20-- Ninja moves?
    1:22-- This is very bad. Notice how he stands out of structure onto his toes? This does not work on larger, stronger ukes.
    1:28-- Posture of uke is already stretched out and lost.
    1:32-- Starts by giving posture over, which will not work on a larger uke. Uke ends up on toes, reaching over. That is not how this works in real life (uke should pull back and down, tori should rotate hips underneath spine to stay underneath).
    1:43-- Quick overtop lop. Meh.
    2:00-- More overtop. Doesn't cover self while reaching over. Uke could escape and reverse easily (turn left arm to tan to hold off dim-jerm, turn right arm to bong-sau to take advantage of overextended arm-reach on tori that is not on centerline).
    2:26-- Good holding of structure on the lops. Notice even with the uke pulling away, tori doesn't move forward. This is the best part of the video, although tori still is not moving the uke's structure on his own.

Okay, I feel really bad doing a critique that way. After all, I'm sure a video of anyone, anyone at all, could be critiqued a bunch like that, and I'm being really ridiculously anal with everything I looked at. In reality, and in training, everything and all positions are not perfect when looked at 50 times. So my beginning critiques are really the only important ones anyway: he should be moving the uke's structure and not giving up his own (not standing up).

Kuyaken likes this.
  16. Dagon Akujin

Also, his facebook page is littered with errors. :p

Do this instead:
    FIXED!!

17. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

Thanks for the comment RJ Clark i haven't instead a raeal combat video for his quality low i'm sorry and i'll tell to my master and soon i'll created a new video with all of yours suggestion.

DRAGON :) Thanks for your time and your help i think this comment is very constructive for my master and i'm sure he likes so tonight in the gym i'll show all .

Thanks again for the good traslate i'm an adminstrator of his page so i'll put for sure your english translate ;) Great

18. RJ Clark

Thanks. I could only critique it from my own perspective with my skill set as the base.
    I don't know exactly what the focus for the promo video is. If it's just a general look-what-I-can-do or if it's to draw in new students then it's fine. If it's to demonstrate combat prowess or the practicality of his training/art then there should probably be less flash. If you want to show the totality of his background then you certainly need to add some fight/competition footage no matter the quality so people can see his chosen techniques executed against a resisting opponent rather than "good" ukes. Even if you add the fight vids separately on the FB page and simply apologize for the poor quality it will be the experienced martial artists and fighters that will appreciate looking at that.

19. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

Yes i have created for my master a general video focused on speed and elasticity and few acrobatic move. Next i'm thinking to do a mix with fighting and his loopkicks and more acrobatic and less Wing Chun .
    Thanks for your opinion and suggestions RJ ;)

20. Dagon Akujin

Can I put my vote in for seeing more Wing Chun? :p

21. Kalo81

Kalo81 Initiate

Ahah ok ok Dagon :) ahah but i think is impossible satisfy everyone ;)