New on the forum, just saying hello. :)

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Chrisoro, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Initiate

Hello people! New guy on the forum here. :)

A little about me. I am a second dan in Yun Bee Kwan Hapkido under Kim Jung-Soo, and a second dan in Kukki-style Taekwondo. I have also trained a bunch of other martial arts over the years, but my primary styles at the moment are the two mentioned above. I originally started Taekwondo in 1992, and was also first exposed to Hapkido training at this time, but left it in 1996, and took a break from martial arts training for a few years. After that I trained mostly various combat sports such as amateur boxing, judo (3rd kyu), mma, bjj (blue belt) and a few others for a few years each until about 2011, when I decided that I missed a lot of the traditional aspect of more traditionally minded martial arts. However, the time in various combat sports taught me a lot about training methods that I felt was not emphasized much in traditional martial arts, so the way I train TKD and HKD at the moment borrows a lot of methods from combat sports, while still preserving the more traditional flavor and training methods. I used to think that anything that isn't employing hard contact sparring in training, and was tested repeatedly in MMA-competition was probably useless on "teh street", but I like to think that I have gotten a more nuanced view on martial arts over the years, and have grown to appreciate that I don't know everything, that neither does anyone else, and that all arts and styles have both merits and weaknesses. The trick is the be aware of these, and try to not walk around with huge blind spots or delusions about what you can and cannot do. And if you find weaknesses in your art or personal style, try to either work it out or work around it.

In general, I look at myself as an eternal student, and are always on the lookout for new techniques, concepts, training methods and principles to add to my personal arsenal, and over the years I have come to the conclusion that how you train and the mentality you put into your training is as important, if not more, than what you train.

Looking forward to learn a lot, and hopefully contribute a bit as well in the time ahead.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    DeeD likes this.
  3. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

Welcome to the forum

Chrisoro likes this.
  4. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Initiate

Thanks! :)

5. KIERANLIAM

KIERANLIAM Initiate

It's as if I am reading myself type. Not to sound boastful, but to me that is a good indicator that you are well versed in understanding and the arts. You must be a great Disciple of the arts. Glad to have another practitioner amongst us.

Happily,

-K

Chrisoro likes this.
  6. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Initiate

Thank you very much! :) My main focus in training is, and have always been, a higher understanding of the arts and betterment of myself, and I am happy that shines trough in my writing.