Now we know why...

Discussion in 'News' started by Dave76, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

I was a little shocked when GSP stopped being able to take Diaz down in their fight. It's what we've all come to know and respect about GSP's game, control your opponent.
    Reading this now, it makes sense.
    I just hope for GSP's sake this doesn't become to frequent a thing, as he seems to be having a bad run of injuries, even by MMA standards.

[​IMG]
    GSP Suffers Achilles Tendon Injury out up to Six Months

It looks like Johny Hendricks will have to wait for his title shot even though he did not break his hand in his fight with Carlos Condit. The reason for the postponement comes from longtime welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, who suffered an Achilles Tendon injury before his fight with Nick Diaz. All of this comes from St. Pierre’s trainer Firas Zahabi, who said that his pupil was also sick the week of the fight on top of everything else.
    “Fortunately, there were no tears. That said, it was very tense and very painful, but not enough to cancel the fight. Our concern was that the tendon tears during combat. For the moment, we do not know if he aggravated his injury, but it certainly will undergo treatment in the coming weeks so the tendon can heal properly.”
    While it is not sure how long the injury will take to heal, Zahabi hopes that St. Pierre will take six months to fully rehab the injury and train for the fight against Hendricks. Of course, this injury may not have been taken as seriously if this was two or three years ago, but coming off of a year layoff due to an ACL tear has probably made everyone around GSP a little more cautious when injuries arise.
    All of this makes a lot of sense, considering that GSP looked relatively tired at the end of the fight compared to his performance against Condit. While this could be due to just facing a harder opponent in Diaz, it could also be due to the sickness and injury. GSP is always the professional though, because he never mentioned any of this in the lead up or after the fight

RJ Clark and Caneman like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Admin Staff Member

Yeah he's certainly been unlucky. Injuries can work that way. Everything is connected so when you the process of healing one injury can sometimes put strain in other parts of your body.

Looks like Hendricks has to wait a little longer.

4. Dave76

It'll be worth the wait. I'm really hoping to see if Hendricks can land that left and most importantly, can GSP deal with it.
    The wrestling match up everyone goes on about I think will end up being an all GSP affair, he's proven numerous times he can outgrapple even the most high level of MMA's wrestlers.
    This fight will come down to Hendricks left I reckon.
    If he lands it cleanly, he'll win.
    If not, GSP will control and dominate and grind out another 'w'.
    IMHO:)

RJ Clark likes this.
  5. Caneman

Caneman Test all things.

This just makes his win against Diaz even sweeter, in my book.

Dave76 likes this.
  6. Dave76

Would kinda suck wouldn't it? Finding out that the guy who beat you was not only injured but run down with the flu aswell:LOL:

DeeD and Charlay Atkins like this.
  7. Enkidu

Enkidu Destroyer of your martial arts fantasies

Damn... GSP has either had a run of bad luck or maybe he needs to reevaluate his GPP and SPP training.

8. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

Absolutely. It gets mentioned as a point of interest well after the fight. Compare that to the conduct of Diaz before and after and it's easier to understand why GSP is successful. As when GSP got irritated at Diaz prefight and said (I'm going on memory): "I'm successful because of what I do. If you're not successful, that's on you..."