Of taking humility too damn far

Discussion in 'Martial Arts Philosophy' started by HeWhoGrunts, Mar 24, 2021.

1. HeWhoGrunts

HeWhoGrunts Initiate

The way that a lot of people who train to fight view social interaction, I find very weird and sometimes downright infuriating.

Some information on myself first: I've always been a more "say it how it is," "fight the good fight" sort of person at my core. As I grew up, I started repressing those traits, and I'm training to get the confidence I need to get back in touch with them.

So imagine you're that sort of person.. and then imagine the people who you're supposed to be looking up to talking about who you are naturally like it can ONLY be someone who's "never taken a beating before." A "punk" if you will.

[​IMG]

Ooooohhh boy. I'm gonna get some hate for this but screw it. I can't stand how this supposed role-model and just about everyone he brings onto his little show sees martial artists as these peaceful old guys up on mountains who wouldn't hurt a fly. That may be an exaggeration, but tell me that if you stuck a legit fighter in front of him who doesn't preach pacifist crap, his brain wouldn't short circuit.

I bring up Joe because he's the biggest example. Far from the only one though. The community of martial rods up the butt is large and it's a real problem.

The purpose of martial arts.. aside from learning to fight.. is to develop the confidence needed to make your life your own, in my not-at-all humble opinion.

But then you have these high-and-mighty dudebros coming along and saying "NO!! You're not supposed to develop the confidence to take the world!! You're supposed to become Ghandi!!"

So I'll end this off by making a few, frankly trivial, disclaimers.

1. I'm not advocating attacking random people over small crap.

2. I'm not advocating being a boastful, obnoxious idiot to your training partners.

3. I'm not saying that humility with regards to improvement in your training is bad.

4. I'm not saying you shouldn't know the limits of your capabilities.