Online training course outline

Discussion in 'Grappling Martial Arts' started by CanadianRonin, Feb 6, 2014.

1. CanadianRonin

CanadianRonin Initiate

So I'll be releasing an online course to some of my students and clients and wanted to get your opinions on the course breakdown. This is one of my favorite subreddits so I look forward to the feedback! Before I could afford to join a school, my training consisted of Karl Gotch and Gracie Jiu jitsu VHS tapes that my friend and I would practice in the basement after school. The videos would be for grappling essentials, taking from catch wrestling, jits and sambo. 20 years later and I have a chance to give back!
    Module 1: Balancing breaking and takedowns
    Module 2: Learning positions and transitions
    Module 3: Sweeps and reversals
    Module 4: Arm locks from various positions
    Module 5: Leg locks
    Module 6: Chokes
    Module 7: Advanced chokes
    Module 8: Advanced traps and set ups
    Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated! This was the order of how I was taught but it's flexible. Thanks!

3. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

I'm not one for distant learning courses, but each to their own.

I'm not too sure if anyone has seen the the picture floating around Facebook with a "YouTube" Blackbelt and a comment on it.

This is what it reminds me of. For me someone cannot gain a degree level via videos and and internet links

Aaron, RJ Clark and Pedro like this.
  4. Dave76

Dave76 Deheuol Gwyn Dragon

Obviously you need at least one training partner for this.
    I would put chokes in before leg locks, as leg locks while brutal in effect, are also more difficult to pull off against a resisting opponent. Where as chokes, for myself at least, have a greater real world application, i.e- I would choke someone in a real fight, but a leg lock is something I would only use in competition, not that they can't, just I wouldn't want to be rolling around on the ground any longer than necessary and a leg lock would leave me less able to return to a standing position quickly.
    I'm generalising of course, not saying that that's gospel, just struggling to find the words to express what I mean exactly, sorry.

Are you able to expand on each module a little for us, some examples for each?

RJ Clark likes this.
  5. RJ Clark

RJ Clark Tree Ninja Staff Member

I'm on board with this as well. If it's a primer for those new to grappling or for student review then that's terrific.

Hopefully you're covering gi and no gi. Also, in the first module grips & grip fighting (gi & no gi) should be included. Grip fighting is an oft times overlooked and underappreciated skill which when done effectively can amplify your inherent skill level in nearly all aspects of grappling both offensively and defensively.

Kuyaken likes this.