Passed my test.

Discussion in 'Taekwondo' started by Jovan, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Hello guys,

Today I finished my Taekwondo test for the half green belt. First I did the pom see's, I knew them good but I got an black out an had to do it over again :dead:. My one step sparring en hosinsul where great. I had to spar two times because there weren't enough partners, the second time I got really tired because I had to fight twice. I want tho thank Vidadi for adding the one step sparring video that helped me a bit (y). Somebody recorder the both sparring sessions and maybe I can get them and upload them here so you guys can see me (give tips (y))

Chrisoro, Dave76, Pedro and 3 others like this.
  3. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

Congrats and ... just wondering how did you get black out ? too much fear like stage fright ? (like you said something about the fear earlier in other post) ?

4. liam

liam Disciple

as a fellow martial artist, congrats. as a kenpoist, screw TKD:devil:;) congrats, keep training.

Kuyaken, Jovan and Sneaker like this.
  5. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

How do you know that guy is kenpo-ist ?
    He asks his attacker to pause so he can remember movement 85 in long 4 which is just what he needs at the moment.

So be nice to TKD-ist and GojuRyu-ist :ROFLMAO:;):p, nice joke, keep training

liam and Jovan like this.
  6. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Wel a bit stage fright yes... When I train them I know them perfect, but there was kind a pressure because everyone was looking at me and I didn't want to fail and stuff.

7. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  8. Sneaker

Sneaker Warrior Monk

This helps me to overcome the stage fright during KATA (with or without weapon), stage fright does happens all the time ... that is called positive "adrenaline" ... that is a good thing.

1) it is not about them, so forget about them ... after you bow respectfully then into at ease stance

2) simply close your eyes peacefully then take a very deep breath gently

3) open your eyes slowly as you recognize yourself into your own mind, body and spirit

3) exhale long and strong into "I LOVE THIS" feeling ready stance

4) only seeing yourself performing great in the entire place ... so begin to execute one move at a time.

5) Everything else disappears, only you that SHINE out.

6) Appreciate everything with a smile after the performance/bow out

(searched and this is exactly how I feel)

Striving for excellence motivates you; striving for perfection is demoralizing – Harriet Braiker

When I was young, I was branded with the word perfectionist. I thought it was a compliment. Little did I know that it was not. In fact, being a perfectionist is stressful and maddening and can lead to anger and self-destructive type behaviors.

No one can be perfect. And no one should want to be. The silly things we do, the mistakes we make and the fact that we don’t know it all is what life is about ...

The great doing of little things makes the great life — Eugenia Price.

I have this book since 1991 ... Recommend and it is free to read (sign up)
    https://openlibrary.org/works/OL4460655W/Secrets_of_championship_karate

Jovan likes this.
  9. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

Congrats, is it ITF, WTF or ATA?

10. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

WTF

11. Kuyaken

Kuyaken Karate for the streets not just for trophies

OK, Olympic sport, if that's your focus great. for me there's only one that ticks most of the boxes for me and that's ITF

12. Jovan

Jovan Disciple

Yeah I understand you but WTF focusses more on the kicks than ITF does and that is the thing I want to train for a while...

Kuyaken likes this.
  13. Chrisoro

Chrisoro Initiate

First I would like to congratulate thread starter on passing his test! Good work!

Second, I need to address this:

Unlike ATA and ITF, WTF do not represent a "style" of Taekwondo per se. It is an organization maintaining a specific competition ruleset, and for the past couple of years, practitioners from at least one of the ITF organizations has also been allowed to compete in WTF events.

Usually, what people mean when they say WTF Taekwondo, is Kukki Taekwondo (meaning "National Taekwondo"), or the official South Korean government sponsored style of taekwondo. However, Kukki Taekwondo and WTF competition is not the same thing, and the style of Kukki Taekwondo is not defined by WTF competition, but by the Kukkiwon (national school). And if you look at the official curriculum and forms of Kukki Taekwondo, there are far more techniques included in these than what you can see (and what is allowed) in WTF sparring competition, including hand strikes to the head, knees, elbows, takedowns, joint locks and various techniques with and against weapons, including knife, short stick, long stick, pistol and rifle with bayonet (all of which can bee seen in the official Kukkiwon Taekwondo Textbook). Interestingly enough, all of the Kukkiwon forms also include far more hand techniques than kicks, and also includes high level forms without any kicks in them at all, which goes counter to the popular image of Kukki Taekwondo as an art focusing mostly on kicks. :)

Yes, it is true that since the advent of WTF competition in the Olympics, and the popularity of this competition format, most Kukki Taekwondo schools have focused way too much of their training on WTF competition, at the expense of the most other techniques that is contained within the system, but that does not mean that the art of Kukki Taekwondo is "sport taekwondo", or don't contain anything else than what you see in WTF competition. It only means that the popularity of WTF style competition has changed the focus on what is trained in the majority of Kukki Taekwondo clubs, to the point that you have to look around a bit if you want to train Kukki Taekwondo as a self defense or actual fighting style, as opposed to the olympic combat sport.

However there are still Kukki Taekwondo clubs out there that are actually focusing on the traditional and self-defense relevant aspects of Kukki Taekwondo more than WTF competition, and there are also several Kukki Taekwondo masters (Cho Won Sup, Jeong In Choul, Shahram Lashgari, Lee Dong Hee, etc.) treating Kukki Taekwondo as a serious fighting/self defense system and not just a sport, and putting these in the basket with more sports oriented clubs and saying that they too is "sport Taekwondo" is not only doing them a disservice, but is a blatantly incorrect statement. Look up for example the Traditional Taekwondo Union for an example of an organization practitioning Kukki Taekwondo as a martial art before a martial sport. From the TTU's website:

Traditional Taekwondo Union – TTU is a European friendship organisation. TTUs purpose is to uphold the principles and values that exsists i taekwondo that has, to certain extent been forgotten as the martial art evolved into a martial sport.

TTU was founded 1996 at Jevnaker, Norway. The founder was Grandmaster Cho Woon Sup a well known taekwondo master i Scandinavia. He was the first korean master that came to Denmark. This was in 1976. He instructed several taekwondo clubs in the Copenhagen area while he was working for the Korean embassy and Korean Air. Grandmaster Cho moved to Norway in 1987. From here he travels around to all the different TTU clubs.

The meaning with TTU is to be able to train taekwondo in a more traditional way to counterweigh the dominating sports side to taekwondo after it was approved as a olympic sport. The TTU works to keep the older values alive though respect and dicipline in training. The hope that this values learned through training will also affect the practitioner in their daily life as well.

The most important elements in training are the basics that are used in poomse, prearranged fighting, freefight and selfdefence. The values and priniples are old, but to ensure unity the basics from Kukkiwon are used.

For the members and instructors the TTU offers a range of activities. Among these are camps, coarses, seminars and training i Korea. Several of the coarses and seminars are a combination of basics, poomse and fighting.​

With the advent of a higher focus on sport than self defense/fighting within the Kukki Taekwondo community, I think it is now more up to the student to educate himself and seek out relevant instruction in the less sport oriented techniques and tactics of Kukki taekwondo than in the past, unless you are already lucky to be connected to organizations such as the one above, but there are never the less quite a lot of effective fighting techniques in the system if one actually cares too look and wants to focus on that.

I am myself lucky that my master comes from a strong Moo Duk Kwan lineage, and focusing on self defense and fighting first, and sport second, but there is no reason why any Kukki Taekwondo practitioner shouldn't do an effort to educate himself of what the official Kukki Taekwondo curriculum actually contains when it comes to effective techniques for self defense / non-sportive fighting, and put some effort into being good at that as well.

Just my two cents. :)

DeeD likes this.