Paul Kelly found guilty of heroine trafficking

Discussion in 'Mixed Martial Arts' started by DeeD, May 19, 2013.

1. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

3. Locutus

Locutus Your fight is futile, my hands are pounding you!

Crazy.

4. Gone

Gone Guest

Just make 'em all legal then we won't be wasting soo much money trying to put people in jail over it.

Either way, legal or illegal, they're still attainable by the average person very easily.

I wouldn't want to go to jail where the murderers, torturers, and rapists are (or used to be until our prisons started overflowing with people caught with OMG EVIL SUBSTANCE OMG and they had to all be let out alot sooner than they should have been) just for experimenting with my own body and mind.

Judah and SifuPhil like this.
  5. SifuPhil

SifuPhil Lucky Cat Is Lucky

While I agree for things like marijuana, when you get to the level (and prices) of heroin and coke you're talking crime involvement.

I've never heard of a stoner mugging someone to get $10 for a dime bag, but I HAVE heard of it being done by heroin addicts. Totally different effects on the brain and personality, in addition to the whole addiction thing.

6. Pedro

Pedro Baek Doo San

Don't wanna get caught? Don't do shit.
    I agree with Sifu on the marijuana thing. It isn't completely harmless, but you can't compare to the damage and addiction levels coke and heroin have

Caneman and SifuPhil like this.
  7. Judah

Judah fights in tights

Alcohol is the most toxic substance people use as a recreational drug yet it's legal. Maybe if these drugs were legal the money spent on catching dealers and addicts could be used for rehabilitation? I'm with Red here. The "war on drugs" is a farce whichever way you look at it.

Dave76 and SifuPhil like this.
  8. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

I agree with you on this. Pot is definetly a "softer" drug, but with that being said I still wouldnt want someone driving after smoking a joint, or running heavy equipment for that matter:confused:

As for making drugs legal like coke or heroin, over my dead body. I have already had to go to a funeral because a friend OD on coke (your still missed by us dude), and I have one friend that is battling a heroine/morphine addiction that almost completely destroyed her life in under 6 months. Trust me one funeral is enough when it comes to something like this.

People on these types of drugs dont act normal period... I have seen a 275 poind coke head do lines of a bar table, cops come in to arrest him, taser him 3 times 2 of them jump him and he's still going, police officer had to club him in the lag from behind and we pinned him down with a bar stool while they handcuffed him... point is it completly fucks with your body. These drugs just dont kill brain cells and give you the munchies, they put you into hightend states of peranoi, fuck with your adrenaline system, and can take years to get off of. IMO these coke, ectasy, heroine, and meth dealers dont need to be locked in jail... they need a bullet right between the eyes... a lot cheaper for us law biding tax payers... my government aleady spends enough money on useless things.:(

Caneman and SifuPhil like this.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

Its a toxic substance, but its one that has been in most of our cultures for hundreds if not thousands of years. Its a substance that isnt deemed as taboo as the others.

After working door at night clubs, bars, pubs, and helping out at a strip joint on occasion; I will say this... people should have write a test and take an IQ test to buy and consume alcohol... also some people should just never be allowed to drink period.

SifuPhil likes this.
  10. Gone

Gone Guest

There is this fear that if all drugs/substances were legal , then suddenly there'd be soo many more users, broken families, crime would spiral out of control (they say that like it already isn't.. ) and so on and so forth.

To which I'll reply, every male is born with a penis, but not every male rapes someone else.

Can anyone see where I am going with this?

SifuPhil likes this.
  11. Gone

Gone Guest

So has the cannabis/hemp plant.

Dave76 and SifuPhil like this.
  12. SifuPhil

Ah, yes, but alcohol never threatened any other industries like marijuana did ... THAT'S why weed was demonized.

Pedro, Dave76 and Aaron like this.
  13. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

in some ways yes but there are strong correlations between cannabis use in adolescents and schizophrenia, this does happen with other drugs and alcohol as well but a marked increase with cannabis use. Research by psychiatrists in inner-city areas speak of cannabis being a factor in up to 80 percent of schizophrenia cases.
    http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

so not as harmless for people with certain predispositions as many believe

14. SifuPhil

Did you see how they stated their conclusion?

"4 out of 5 people who developed schizophrenia smoked weed"

Yeah ... and 5 out of 5 people who die had a history of drinking water.

This "research" is so bogus I can hardly believe it was actually published somewhere. Hospital wards full of crazy tokers?

Did you see the large percentage of commentators on that thread? Teenagers.

Sorry, DeeD - I'm calling BS on this "study".

Wait ... I think there's little green men outside my window - I'll be right back ... :ROFLMAO:

Dave76 likes this.
  15. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

You nail that one on the head.

SifuPhil likes this.
  16. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

no worries, I see your bogus study and raise you :sneaky:

Most Recent Scientific Research on Schizophrenia and Cannabis:
    Cannabis-induced psychosis and subsequent schizophrenia-spectrum disorders: follow-up study of 535 incident cases. Br J Psychiatry. 2005 Dec;187:510-5
    Toward a world consensus on prevention of schizophrenia.
    Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2005;7(1):53-67.

Risk for schizophrenia--broadening the concepts, pushing back the boundaries.
    Schizophr Res. 2005 Nov 1;79(1):5-13.

The environment and schizophrenia: the role of cannabis use.
    Schizophr Bull. 2005 Jul;31(3):608-12. Epub 2005 Jun 23.

Predictors of schizophrenia--a review.
    Br Med Bull. 2005 Jun 9;73:1-15. Print 2005.

Cannabis as a risk factor for psychosis: systematic review.
    J Psychopharmacol. 2005 Mar;19(2):187-94.

Cannabis use prior to first onset psychosis predicts spared neurocognition at 10-year follow-up.
    Schizophr Res. 2005 Jun 1;75(1):135-7.

[Acute and chronic cognitive disorders caused by cannabis use]
    Rev Prat. 2005 Jan 15;55(1):23-6; discussion 27-9. French.

Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol effects in schizophrenia: implications for cognition, psychosis, and addiction.
    Biol Psychiatry. 2005 Mar 15;57(6):594-608.

Cannabis use and psychotic disorders: an update.
    Drug Alcohol Rev. 2004 Dec;23(4):433-43. Review.

Is cannabis an anti-antipsychotic? The experience in psychiatric intensive care.
    Hum Psychopharmacol. 2005 Apr;20(3):207-10.

Cannabis and risk of psychosis.
    Swiss Med Wkly. 2004 Nov 13;134(45-46):659-63. Review.

[Cannabis can double the risk of schizophrenia. Increasing but still controversial knowledge of the psychological effects of the drug]
    Lakartidningen. 2004 Oct 7;101(41):3126-7. Swedish.

Is the party over? Cannabis and juvenile psychiatric disorder: the past 10 years.
    J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004 Oct;43(10):1194-205. Review.

Adverse effects of cannabis on health: an update of the literature since 1996.
    Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2004 Aug;28(5):849-63. Review.

Cannabis use and risk of psychosis: an etiological link?
    Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc. 2004 Apr-Jun;13(2):113-9. Review.

[Cannabis and schizophrenia. From euphoria to psychosis]
    Rev Med Liege. 2004 Feb;59(2):98-103. French.

Heavy cannabis users seeking treatment- prevalence of psychiatric disorders.
    Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2004 Feb;39(2):97-105.

Cannabis use and the risk of later schizophrenia: a review.
    Addiction. 2004 Apr;99(4):425-30. Review.

Cannabis use and psychosis.Drug Alcohol Rev. 1998 Dec;17(4):433-44.
    Cannabis use and age at onset of schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 2004 Mar;161(3):501-6.
    Causal association between cannabis and psychosis: examination of the evidence.
    Br J Psychiatry. 2004 Feb;184:110-7. Review.

[Cannabis use as a probable causative factor in the later development of schizophrenia]
    Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2003 Nov 1;147(44):2178-83. Dutch.

[Use of cannabis in adolescence and risk of schizophrenia]
    Rev Bras Psiquiatr. 2003 Sep;25(3):131-2. Portuguese.

Cannabis use in adolescence and risk for adult psychosis: longitudinal prospective study.
    BMJ. 2002 Nov 23;325(7374):1212-3. No abstract available.

[Is there a temporal correlation between substance abuse and psychosis in adolescents?]
    Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2002 May;30(2):97-103. German.

Cannabis and psychosis.
    Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2002 Jun;4(3):191-6. Review.

Cannabis-induced psychosis: a cross-sectional comparison with acute schizophrenia.
    Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2002 Mar;105(3):173-8.

Cannabis and schizophrenia: a longitudinal study of cases treated in Stockholm County
    Self reported cannabis use as a risk factor for schizophrenia in Swedish conscripts of 1969: historical cohort study

SifuPhil likes this.
  17. Aaron

Aaron Shadow Warrior

They also mentioned pcp, meth, and lsd ad causes as well... granted it was only one paragraph after all the stats about pot, kinda convient they didnt really give any stats on the other drugs as well...

I think we can all agree that any type of drug or alcohol can mess with your body chemistry and effect your brain.

SifuPhil likes this.
  18. SifuPhil

Pedro and DeeD like this.
  19. DeeD

DeeD Nak Muay

haha thanks, there are a few more studies some more recent ones, Interesting discussion none the less, I had a chat about this with a friend of mine that worked in a Psych ward for a few years, she also mentioned a correlation with findings. interesting in general

just some interesting exerts from the studies
    More recent studies suggest that THC given intravenously to healthy volunteers can induce several psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia, so the authors believe that THC studies be used to model broader aspects of the disease, not just cognitive dysfunction.

A 2012 review of current knowledge shows that the endocannabinoid system in the brain has a major role in schizophrenia. “Data reported so far clearly indicate the presence of a dysregulation in the endocannabinoid system in animal models of psychosis as well as in schizophrenic patients,” the review says.

References
    Kucewicz, M. T. et al. Dysfunctional Prefrontal Cortical Network Activity and Interactions following Cannabinoid Receptor Activation.Journal of Neuroscience, published online October 25, 2011.
    Zamberletti, E., Rubino, T. and Parolaro, D. The endocannabinoid system and schizophrenia: integration of evidence. Current Pharmaceutical Design, published online June 7, 2012.

SifuPhil likes this.
  20. SifuPhil

I agree that it's an interesting field of study. I don't argue that weed will induce paranoia, at the very least, but that's more a social-restriction function I think ("Cripes, I'm gonna get busted!") than it is a true non-stimulated psychotic episode.

Having been in the science world for a short while I learned some of its weak points, and my personality dictates that I always try to find the holes in the research. For example, in the instance you just gave of IV THC tests - I would respond, "Well, sure - if you concentrate anything like they do with lab rats the subject is going to have an adverse reaction". Yet that is just the type of research protocol that is often employed in these papers; coming from a "publish or perish" atmosphere as these studies no doubt did, I don't entirely blame them, but you have to understand that these reports are often destined for dustbins in many, many labs and offices.

Being of a Taoist bent (about 12 degrees starboard) I like to base my beliefs upon what I can experience first-hand. I'm a long-time toker and hung out with some of the hardest-core heads you'd ever want to meet, yet NONE of them ever developed schizophrenic symptoms. I'm talking about 100 people I actively hung out with, not a HUGE sampling population granted but enough for ME to believe that weed, although it DOES have its drawbacks, should not at this point be directly correlated with such serious psychological symptoms.

21. SifuPhil

Just something I noticed in the original study that was posted ...

What the HELL kind of doctor would EVER say something like THAT?!? :cautious:

Caneman and Aaron like this.